Home

Can You Edit Lightmaps Without a 3d Program?

Okay. My apologies for the improper post location, I am still getting used to the protocol. I'll just transfer the title to a different topic. Appreciate the quick response!

Though, to answer your question, I am trying to edit the lightmap textures themselves so that I can get rid of some of the awful lighting in the Telos Station modules and basically many other miscellaneous planetary locations throughout KotorII. I don't know a danged thing about lightmaps besides the fact that they are stored as images .TGAs. I just recently found out that someone had a bunch of them edited, so I know it's possible.

I've seen maybe ONE tutorial on how lightmaps work, and that just showed how to make a new module; which I don't want to do for effectively, the ENTIRE game!

You can't unless you remake all the modules. Sorry. The most you can do is what I did for my darker peragus mod and change the overall lighting values. Nothing too spectacular. and you don't need to repost this, just for future reference.

So you can only make it lighter or darker overall...

Well, that sucks. But your mod really did present a difference to the original lighting. And all you did was lower the overall brightness for it?

Well, thank you for the information anyway, and I must say that I really like your darker lighting mod on Peragus and especially the Harbinger.

Edit__

And I just now noticed that you were the author of the mod I was referring to in my reply to you....

You cannot edit lightmaps without a 3d modeling program because the lightmaps are nothing else than a second set of textures which get applied to the objects. The mapping of the lightmap to the actual 3d geometry is made using texture vertices, no less and no more how you do it with textures; as such the final .TGA file will be all "mixed up" as the faces are "spread" all over the file.

You cannot edit lightmaps without a 3d modeling program because the lightmaps are nothing else than a second set of textures which get applied to the objects. The mapping of the lightmap to the actual 3d geometry is made using texture vertices, no less and no more how you do it with textures; as such the final .TGA file will be all "mixed up" as the faces are "spread" all over the file.

Yep. But you can still change the hues and values.

Archived