Home

Prometheus

Prometheusposterfixed.jpg

Went to see it last week it is very very good, best sci-fi film I have seen in cinemas in a looong time! It had a very 2001: A Space Odyssey feel to it and also David (played by Michael Fassbender) really reminds me of the character R. Daneel Olivaw from Isaac Asimov's books. A must see for any classic sci-fi fan :thmbup1:

Well Ridley has basically retconned out the entire AvP connection, not that anyone should be complaining about that.

Plus, even though I haven't seen it yet, I know folks are saying it looks like this is only the start and there will most likely be a sequel.

Prometheus has issues and plot holes so large you can steer a Death Star through them. Not a fan of it, unfortunately.

On the flip side, I've heard this, too. The fact that it was written by the same guy who was responsible for the final season and series finale of Lost is not particularly encouraging. :snear:

I'll be seeing it anyway, though.

Saw it yesterday.

cHswa.jpg

It was my first movie of the Alien/Predator/Alien vs. Predator franchise, and in that regard, I probably should have watched Alien or something before seeing Prometheus, but I knew nothing about Prometheus when I went to see it.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
I liked the movie, but I think some of the 'horror' aspects of the plot were caused by sheer stupidity on the characters' part, eg, leaving no one to monitor comms while two of the crew are trapped inside a giant freaking alien tomb. I know the prospect of sex was to blame, but it wouldn't take much effort to just order one lackey to watch the system while you went to get jiggy.

Also: getting squished by a giant rolling ship. Run to the side, damnit!

There are also some things that I might have missed/don't understand/might be plotholes:

1. The crew told the scientists that the silt in the storm could have destroyed their suits. Why didn't it?

2. Why the hell did David poison Charlie with the goo?? Did he know what was going to happen, or was it out of some morbid curiosity?

3. Did Elizabeth know that David was the one to get Charlie sick? It seemed like it in the end.. If so, she seemed awfully calm/not angry with him/the idea of teaming up with the guy/thing that caused the death of her lover..

I liked Noomi Rapace's performance as Dr. Shaw, and Michael Fassbender's as David.

It's your run of the mill scientific-expedition-gone-wrong story, but I liked it. Will certainly go to see a sequel if one is released.

I can't understand how there are people on this planet that haven't seen Alien (or Predator, though really I'd rather these two series stay separate)... it just shouldn't be possible once you reach a certain age :carms:

Ehh. It was in the lower third of my mental 'to-watch' list, which basically means 'watch it if you happen to come across it'.

I hadn't come across the franchise, till now. (though I vaguely remember seeing bits of Predator in 2007, and a teeny bit of AvP before that)

Saw it last night and enjoyed it very much. Becoming a big fan of Michael Fassbender. Saw him in X-Men:First class and loved that performance also.

Saw it yesterday.

cHswa.jpg

It was my first movie of the Alien/Predator/Alien vs. Predator franchise, and in that regard, I probably should have watched Alien or something before seeing Prometheus, but I knew nothing about Prometheus when I went to see it.

Show spoiler
I liked the movie, but I think some of the 'horror' aspects of the plot were caused by sheer stupidity on the characters' part, eg, leaving no one to monitor comms while two of the crew are trapped inside a giant freaking alien tomb. I know the prospect of sex was to blame, but it wouldn't take much effort to just order one lackey to watch the system while you went to get jiggy.

Also: getting squished by a giant rolling ship. Run to the side, damnit!

There are also some things that I might have missed/don't understand/might be plotholes:

1. The crew told the scientists that the silt in the storm could have destroyed their suits. Why didn't it?

2. Why the hell did David poison Charlie with the goo?? Did he know what was going to happen, or was it out of some morbid curiosity?

3. Did Elizabeth know that David was the one to get Charlie sick? It seemed like it in the end.. If so, she seemed awfully calm/not angry with him/the idea of teaming up with the guy/thing that caused the death of her lover..

I liked Noomi Rapace's performance as Dr. Shaw, and Michael Fassbender's as David.

It's your run of the mill scientific-expedition-gone-wrong story, but I liked it. Will certainly go to see a sequel if one is released.

Show spoiler

1. Maybe they meant the suits would not hold up against prolonged exposure. They were only out in it a short time.

2. A common thread in the Alien franchise is the "Company" trying to bring "something" back with them. That's one of the reason to try to get Shaw back into cryo once she was impregnated.

3. Seemed like there was a glint of recognition in her eye(IMO, also ties into point 2). She was also having to process a lot emotional/existential questions in her mind. Probably suffering from shock (don't forget that c-section) or emotionally numb. Not to mention by the end she was in total control of the situation and David had no one to answer to anymore besides her.

Well Ridley has basically retconned out the entire AvP connection, not that anyone should be complaining about that.

Plus, even though I haven't seen it yet, I know folks are saying it looks like this is only the start and there will most likely be a sequel.

I saw the first AVP on cable. It wasn't great but it was interesting and entertaining. I wouldn't of paid movie prices to watch it but I liked it well enough. I treat it as a completely separate entity from the rest of the Alien franchise.

Edit: Forgot this bit,

Show spoiler
eg, leaving no one to monitor comms while two of the crew are trapped inside a giant freaking alien tomb. I know the prospect of sex was to blame, but it wouldn't take much effort to just order one lackey to watch the system while you went to get jiggy.

Show spoiler
Whether the monitors were being watched or not had no bearing on the outcome. They would not be able to do anything for them at the time because of the storm. It only served to keep the crew in the dark until they found them.

Show spoiler
Whether the monitors were being watched or not had no bearing on the outcome. They would not be able to do anything for them at the time because of the storm. It only served to keep the crew in the dark until they found them.

Show spoiler
Sure, they wouldn't have been able to do anything, but as you say, it would have served to give them all a heads up earlier, which could have had bearing on certain decisions/influence them to be more careful. If not that, then at least it would let the team be destroyed in a more believable manner for the sake of the quality of the plot (ie, they did all they logically could under the circumstances, but they couldn't stop themselves from being killed).

Probably suffering from shock (don't forget that c-section)

Thats one other thing I found funny - she just had a freaking caesarean.. she shouldn't be able to stand after that, let alone run. Also, a lot of the alien's fluids spilled into her open wound..

But that's not really a big problem, as her rate of recovery can easily be attributed to the medical science of 'the future' (Magic staples, maybe? Or maybe the things she was stabbing herself had some sort of healing factor accelerator, along with painkillers..).

Just interesting to think about.

I haven't seen it but apparently their marketing has been damned effective on me since my entire dream last night was about it. We won by the way, my shopping mall that somehow turned into a derelict capital ship in one of my most bizarre dream transitions ever managed to survive its first encounter with the aliens aboard the Prometheus and return home to rally reinforcements. The highlight of my dream movie thing was the fact that apparently beer bottles were acceptable ammunition for my ship's one single cannon, which happened to be a hole in the side of the ship that I kicked things through to shoot them.

Show spoiler
Sure, they wouldn't have been able to do anything, but as you say, it would have served to give them all a heads up earlier, which could have had bearing on certain decisions/influence them to be more careful. If not that, then at least it would let the team be destroyed in a more believable manner for the sake of the quality of the plot (ie, they did all they logically could under the circumstances, but they couldn't stop themselves from being killed).

Thats one other thing I found funny - she just had a freaking caesarean.. she shouldn't be able to stand after that, let alone run. Also, a lot of the alien's fluids spilled into her open wound..

But that's not really a big problem, as her rate of recovery can easily be attributed to the medical science of 'the future' (Magic staples, maybe? Or maybe the things she was stabbing herself had some sort of healing factor accelerator, along with painkillers..).

Just interesting to think about.

Show spoiler

Being familiar with the Alien franchise all I can say is; no one is ever as prepared as they think they are. Regardless of what they think they know. But I do understand your point.

The cesarean did raise an eyebrow. My wife had one and she needed help getting out of bed the first few days. So not very realistic by our standards. I've read the "future" medicine reasoning on the 'net and I guess it will have to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Alien vs Predator never happened.

Still the best sci-fi/horror I've seen in a long time...

Show spoiler
The self-operation scene to remove the Alien is both gruesome and absolutely insanely good! Instant classic.

It's been left very open at the end I'm really excited about a sequel, if you think about the movie for a bit a lot of the things do add up, it just doesn't hand you everything on a plate like most Hollywood rubbish does ;-)

I HATED it;

Firstly the good; the Visuals are absolutely stunning, the first hour of the film is pretty decent.

The bad;

firstly why on earth was Giger not tasked with coming up with creature designs for the new "monsters" in this film? The monsters look utter trash. The plot frankly, I could of done a better job of in 5 minutes. However none of that hides my main gripe. The Space Jockey - it's like Ridley had now clue as to what made it cool; it was foreign and unknowable; it would have been much better to have just to seen the in suits and have no idea what they look like. I'm afraid in J7's Alien universe, Prometheus, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, AvP and AvP2 DO NOT EXIST!

Archived