Home

3 BioWare considering free-to-play Old Republic

Prime

Was the smartest move that Turbine did with DDO. New members flooded in and they made a killing with micro-transactions. DDO is huge now (comparative to what it used to be at least).

If Bioware was to pull it off.. they'd probably get a flood of new players (and old ones returning). Probably one of the biggest turn-offs of any MMO is the monthly cost. At least seems to be the biggest gripe in all the 'boo-hoo it's an mmo' threads ... hehe

Was the smartest move that Turbine did with DDO. New members flooded in and they made a killing with micro-transactions. DDO is huge now (comparative to what it used to be at least).

Not just D&DO, but (specially) LotRO aswell.

don't like idea of having to pay for gear, if it comes out to more than $15 a month for the gear.

micro-transactions are "usually" limited to consumables/resources and such. Stuff that can be grinded for.

That, or usually a slightly more powerful buff/heal/etc.

With ToR, it could be any number of things. Crafting Resources/Missions, Schematics, exclusive stims, etc.

Trick with Micro-transactions is to offer items that can be gotten in the game normally (or comparable), but requires effort or grinding. Milk the lazy player ;)

It is going to suffer the same problems Star Wars Galaxies, (Regardless of design choices and the NGE) People think "Its Star Wars, it must have 2 million subscribers or it will fail"... SWG had a similar subscriber base to most MMO's on the market but was deemed a failure because of its IP. This leads to hasty design choices and updates, I believe this F2P move will suffer the same fate, "OMG, f2p, its dead".

I'd prefer a subscription fee myself, but F2P works well in this day and age as stated above.

It would be easier to justify for casual players like me.

Same here. My work keeps me at odds depending on the time of year.. so I have to base my subs depending on the time I can anticipate I'll have free. Usually it leaves me winding up wanting (case in point, my recent un-subbing) :fist:

It would be easier to justify for casual players like me.
Indeed. MMO's tend to reward especially players who invest a big amount of time in the game, while casual players naturally tend to lag behind because of how MMO's work. So if microtransactions can level the playing field for those casual players, I'm definitely not against it. The more people you can get to the endgame and PvP, the better for everyone.

yeah, that's cool cause the classes don't all play the same, so if you say 'oh i wanna play as a smuggler' and you play and it just isn't "fun", you got 7 more characters to try out, and not just that, their advanced classes to so you get a little taste of everything before you invest in a subscription to the game.

They're not exactly 'looking into it.' It's happening.

swtor.com/freetrial

more like a demo to me than free play... but whatever...

Not going to be able to go many places or explore the TOR galaxy at level 15. You will die, a lot and you cannot even get the level 1 speeder license until level 25. Time limit is irrelevant.

That seems a little 'half-empty,' don't you think?

From my understanding, once you reach level 15, the game knows and it locks out that toon until you become a paid subscriber.

However, even if you do manage to keep your toon under level 15 somehow, if you come across any enemies (and you will, they're unavoidable if you're that underleveled cause even the slightest twitch from an underleveled player will set them off) the enemies will be able to pretty much one shot you each time and you won't be able to do ANY damage to them at all.

This means you won't be able to complete any more missions. But if you still want to go around exploring, nope, can't do that because every new area you find you get more experience points and pretty soon you're going to reach level 15 just through exploration and avoiding the enemies as best you can.

You're also locked out of all of the flashpoints that require you to be level 15+ which means the only flashpoint available is The Esseles or Black Talon depending on which side of the faction line you're on.

I could go on and on about how the game limits you, but I'm sure you get the idea by now.

That seems a little 'half-empty,' don't you think?

A system that gives you very limited access to a game and it opening chapter to give player a very limited idea of the overall make up of the story and play style being a little "half-empty," I guess you could call it that. I however would call it a demo. You get to see the first two planets and could perhaps see a little of Taris on the Republic side depending on class and how careful the player was. So you would get to see the intro and the very start of the class quest, basically you get your ship to be able to explore the galaxy, but the level limit alone will not allow you to explore the galaxy outside each planets port area.

Archived