Home

Best video game start screens / main menus

Lynk Former

In this thread we show off what we think are the best video game start screens and/or main menus and state why... youtube videos are a plus, but pics are good too.

Here goes...

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I really hope everyone watches that video from start to finish because it is so well done. It really captures the feeling of the entire game just in the start screen along. From quiet beginnings to an epic story that builds and intensifies. The visuals and the music combined are simply awesome.

Metroid Prime (GameCube)

It's really hard to find a good video showing off the Metroid Prime start screen and main menu... this vid shows a bit off of it at the start...

...it's got a really cool style happening, but the stand out thing about it is the music, so damn good...

Title screen music

Main menu music

Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii)

This game is a contender for being one of the worst games ever made, but damn does it have a hell of a theme that sounds like it belongs in some big Hollywood action movie...

I was going to post up more but then I cut them out cause I want to see if anyone else end up posting them... also I stuck to Nintendo based stuff cause I knew no one else would post them XD

But yeah, what are your favourite start screens / main menus?

Although I found the game itself quite disappointing, Brutal Legend had a pretty nifty intro/title screen:

[youtube=hd]PWOS2BgH_Ug

[youtube=hd]fM4iFpDHtyk

(Couldn't find a vid of the English version of the actual menu in operation)

And if you leave it sit there for a while:

[youtube=hd]Us5r_gTEH_k

Nice thread. I thought I was the only one that could spend minutes staring at the start screen because it was amazing (and then moving the analog stick or mouse from time to time just to make sure we're not interrupted by a demo loop or anything).

Batman: Arkham City

Love everything about this menu, from the music to the way the image is frozen (like a still from a comic) but the camera is still panning beautifully around the character and the raindrops. Oh, and bats!

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne

(The only video I could find focus on the opening, the menu only shows up at 1:15.)

I'm a great fan of all things SMT (ask Mav about it), but I like Nocturne's title screen because it's so damn creative. A handful of demons of all sizes and shapes staring at the player with bright, scary eyes. And the main character among them (after all, he IS half a demon). It has quite the impact.

Shadow of the Colossus

(again, I could only find the menu along with the op and the gameplay. It starts at 03:42)

Well, it's so cool to mention SotC in every "schnazzy" list and I just couldn't avoid it. I love how the wind blows and there's a vast expanse of nothing and you realize you're an ant in that world even before you bump in any colossi. Extra points because it's interactive and you can zoom in and pan the camera a bit.

I know folks want to post intro movies and the beginning scenes of games, I'll start a thread on that down the line, but for now let's get some more start/menu screens happening :p

Stunts (PC DOS)

Can't get that music out of my head! So awesome.

Maybe its impact has faded, but I did nothing but listen the whole song through and watch Earth the first time I started the game.

ThisX2. I did the same thing you did, except every time I played it. Have you seen the song done at Video Games Live?

hmm... Can't seem to find just the start menus for Fallout. Fallout 2 would be my favorite, but they're all great. Even the new ones. Think my youtube search skills are lacking...

Maybe its impact has faded, but I did nothing but listen the whole song through and watch Earth the first time I started the game.

Yep, do that every time I boot the game after some time without playing.

And I just now learned that this is Swahili version of the Lord's Prayer. More beautiful than in any other version I've heard. :thmbup1:

• 2 weeks later...
This springs to my mind first. Kinda basic compared to modern stuff, but this was awesome when I was 16.

Hehe, I avoided posting that to not look like any more of a DX fanboy than I already am. >_>

I also liked Invisible War's opening, if only because of the excellent music.

• 5 weeks later...

At first, it may seem very basic for a menu start-up. But the music really makes this standout for me. I'm able to watch this menu for five hours straight without getting bored or eye-strained. I also like the changing background design behind the transparent text.

One of the first tracks I replaced. Once was enough for me. The modern era soundtrack selections weren't much better either.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived