Home

Internet Cops

CptPriceless

"Some of the biggest Internet service providers in America plan to adopt policies that will change..."

"We anticipate that very few subscribers, after having received multiple alerts, will persist in being subscribers,”

That's my guess, that people will abandon these intrusive, insulting companies and use more respectable internet providers. If they lose all their customers the problem will sort itself out. Unless people nowadays are being OK with companies and private interests spying on them without any oversight, accountability and rules, unlike the police.

Doesn't matter if you do something "bad" or not, they won't even know if you do before they've already violated your privacy. It's none of these companies business what you are doing online. I guess they're going to start listening to everyone's phone calls, opening everyone's mail, do random strip searches in public places and search people's homes too to make sure that they don't do anything bad. And everyone who has nothing to hide should be OK with that, right? :roleyess:

I've already had this happen with my cable internet provider.

They shut off my service and claimed that I had an illegal pirated software title. As a professional who uses his machine for business, I assure you I do not pirate software. the "pirated software" The fully legally purchased copy of MS Office, which I had made a backup copy of. I told them that they needed to restore my service immediately, and that they had lost my business. They violated my machine, as that software was not shared. I had movies, music, and a few other random bits that they "flagged" but were also legitimate.

"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live—did live, from habit that became instinct—in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized."

It's just scary how right Orwell was.

"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live—did live, from habit that became instinct—in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized."

It's just scary how right Orwell was.

Word.

Careful, everyone.

You don't want to be branded as alarmist, wing-nut conspiracy theorists, do you? :p

Is this meaning to just be cautious or take to it with a grain of salt, internet smart-assery always muddles me.

I've already had this happen with my cable internet provider.

They shut off my service and claimed that I had an illegal pirated software title. As a professional who uses his machine for business, I assure you I do not pirate software. the "pirated software" The fully legally purchased copy of MS Office, which I had made a backup copy of. I told them that they needed to restore my service immediately, and that they had lost my business. They violated my machine, as that software was not shared. I had movies, music, and a few other random bits that they "flagged" but were also legitimate.

That happened to a friend of mine aswell. He threatened the ISP that he would go to court for them having accessed his personal files, and to avoid that, the ISP gave him free and unlimited Internet access for a year without any cost.

Firstly, I just want to say I hate you all for making me post in this cesspool...

Dunno. I suspect that crashing an entire ISP is beyond their means.

Speaking of one group trying to destroy an ISP because of copyright infringement issues...

Awhile back a bunch of big Hollywood studios (all of them practically) and friends sued my ISP for not doing enough to stop copyright infringements down in here in Australia. For those who don't know, iiNet is the second largest service provider down here in Australia, second only to Telstra (though at the beginning of the movie studios attack on them they were third largest), but in terms of a "size comparison" to companies in the US, they're a very small fish.

iiNet won against the movie studios and in the appeals that followed. They weren't counting on iiNet to actually fight back because as so happens a lot down here, companies just roll over and die or be absorbed by the US companies that come after them which is why every brand that started as an Australian company down here is an American company now.

If iiNet had lost then this would hold true with them too because they wouldn't have had the money to actually pay for the damages that this huge collection of movie studios demanded. But they fought, and they won and it wasn't easy considering this thing lasted for quite a few years with the movie studios not giving up their attack.

As far as I'm concerned, my ISP has earned my respect and I'm sticking with them no matter what.

Anonymous' methods aren't nearly as legal as the method you describe.

As far as this subforum is concerned; we both know that it was created under false pretenses and you have the powah to destroy it.

Anonymous' methods aren't nearly as legal as the method you describe.

I know, I was just segwaying into a different story.

As far as this subforum is concerned; we both know that it was created under false pretenses and you have the powah to destroy it.

I know, and we almost did at one stage... however, I was one of the ones who voted to keep this place despite my distaste for it.

After all, I'm not like the people who are trying to police the Internet by shutting down everything they don't happen to like and restricting access, trying to herd people to do things and use this place the way I may or may not want them to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Half of what we worry about never comes true..history tells us that. So far there have been over 242 predictions made public for the end of the world 241 have passed without incidence.

I've never had to worry about internet crimes in the past, so I don't worry about them now. :)

But Internet freedom, I'm a stringent supporter of, so naturally I oppose all forms of internet government oppression.

• 4 months later...

*appears briefly in KC*

I regret to inform the LF community that last Friday Aaron Swartz has comitted suicide at age 26.

You may have heard of him as being the co-founder of the popular site, reddit. While I'm not personally a fan of its denizens and their sometimes nastily partisan political views, I stand for their right to voice their opinions on that site just as I would for any of you here.

What makes this significant is that he was one of the major people fighting against SOPA and PIPA. I well recall the internet blackout day in response, and several of you here have made clear your presence in the fight for internet freedom. Please take a moment of silence to honor the memory of this courageous fellow.

You may read about it here:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/reddit-founder-aaron-swartz-dead-at-26/story-e6frfrnr-1226552874830

Now I shall retreat once again from KC.

/thread

Archived