Home

Total War: Rome II

Sabretooth

Hopefully, this time the Empire will be a little more accurately represented. Also, they should probably get rid of the early Iron Age Egyptian army in favour of a more (boring, phalanx-obsessed) typical classical era one.

And stop giving the Egyptian men women's names, come to think of it. >_>

Rome TW was my one true love out of the TW franchise

:heart3:

No word on flaming pigs as of yet, but we can all hope.
RPS asked in their 2 part interview. Got a deflection rather than a straight answer:

"RPS: Especially once the elephants get to do their thing. One more question: will there be incendiary pigs?

JR: (laughs) Never say never."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/02/total-war-rome-2-interview/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/03/rome-total-war-2/

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Anybody played this thing yet? What's it like? I'm short on cash right now, so it may be a while before I buy the game.

I haven't played it yet, but I probably will on Sunday. My friend, however, says words cannot describe it's amazingness. It must be that good, because he hasn't socialized before and after classes the past couple days.

Because of my lack of money and it not being the highest on my video game priorities, I don't think I'll be getting it any time soon. I do, however look forward to the day I do have it.

Interesting. All I see everywhere are complaints about how buggy it is. But that's par for the course for the launch of a TW game. I dare say that Creative Assembly warrant a far worse reputation than what Obsidian has concerning the buginess of their games, but for whatever reason CA always seem to be given a pass. The rule of thumb for any new TW game is usually to wait until the first expansion drops. By that point it might possibly be in a playable state.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)
Personally I prefer Shogun just because I am more interested in that subject matter, but this game looks amazing.

And it is just me, or would this video make a great Skyrim Imperials vs. Stormcloaks RTS?

Interesting. All I see everywhere are complaints about how buggy it is. But that's par for the course for the launch of a TW game. I dare say that Creative Assembly warrant a far worse reputation than what Obsidian has concerning the buginess of their games, but for whatever reason CA always seem to be given a pass.

I would imagine that is because TCA is the only developer that is doing what they're doing, while Obsidian exists in largely the same genre field as BioWare and CDPR.

The campaign mode may be a cross between Civilization and Paradox's games, but the battles are what make Total War games unique. It's a bit surprising that it's been a decade since TCA has been doing this and no one has even attempted something similar.

Also, the glitches are pretty entertaining.

ku-xlarge.jpgku-xlarge.jpgku-xlarge.jpg

The campaign mode may be a cross between Civilization and Paradox's games, but the battles are what make Total War games unique. It's a bit surprising that it's been a decade since TCA has been doing this and no one has even attempted something similar.

Eidos and Pyro Studios tried with Imperial Glory (even with 3d naval battles 3 years before Empire released) but it was let down by lack of morale and poor AI.

As for this game, graphics issues and bugs aside, I'm not terribly impressed so far.

• The battles are far too quick - and most degenerate into a swirling ball of doom as the AI only seems to charge towards you with little thought, and my own units degenerate into an undisciplined mob as soon as they make contact with the enemy.
  • Naval battles seemed fun at first, but I'm wondering what the point of having a fleet is when your legion can automatically board ships free of charge and without penalty - I knew legionaries carried a lot in their packs, but I don't remember reading about them carrying oars, or even masts.
  • Diplomacy is retarded. Your neighbours rarely make any sensible offers, instead it seems the ancient - instead I'm being asked by my weaker neighbours for amounts of money that always seem to be just a fraction short of exactly what's in my treasury.
  • The UI is hideously clunky and ridiculously obtrusive, and where the hell is guard mode?
  • The fact that I can't move small forces between settlements or to watch over safer parts of my Empire without having to use one of my limited, named General slots annoys me.
  • There's a reason for favouring bows over javelins and slings. It's called range. Giving all ranged units the same range makes a joke of this.

Archived