Home

Assassin's Creed movie to be made

What's your opinion regarding the creation of an Assassin's Creed movie?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion regarding the creation of an Assassin's Creed movie?

• Very positive
    • Positive
    • Negative
    • Very negative
    • Yoda

Michael Fassbender, the man who brought the android David to life in the film Prometheus, will star in and produce the film adaptation of the popular video game series Assassin’s Creed, according to industry trade publication Variety.

Ubisoft CEO Jean-Julien Baronnet told Variety that Fassbender was the company’s preferred choice to play the protagonist. “Michael is an extremely smart, talented, versatile and committed actor,” said Baronnet. The German-born actor will produce the film through his production company DMC Film.

Source.

You know, I'm actually strangely optimistic about this one. Assassin's Creed strikes me as a video game IP that would really shine in a big screen adaptation.

My optimism is unusual, as I regard most video game movies with aversion - such as the train wreck that is going to be the Mass Effect movie. My opinion regarding that is neatly summed up

Opinions?

Who's Malik in AC again? I only think of the pilot that I slaughtered an entire squad of private military soldiers for in a certain cyberpunk thriller.

The rival assassin in AC1, whose brother ends up killed at the beginning of the game

and who ends up becoming your best friend by the end

Square Enix sees your Assassin's Creed movie and raises you a Deus Ex movie. I want to say that I never asked for this, but it wouldn't even be funny in this case.

Why would a movie ruin the games?
Perhaps I worded it too strongly. Let's just say it'd be a stain on what I think are pretty great franchises. Like The Last Airbender movie did to the Avatar cartoon. It didn't actually influence the next Avatar cartoon arc, but it's still there messing up a franchises great track record.

Like The Last Airbender movie did to the Avatar cartoon. It didn't actually influence the next Avatar cartoon arc, but it's still there messing up a franchises great track record.

Amen to that.

As for the AC movie, I have to go with "Yoda" this time, as I never played any of the games.

Has there ever been one good video game adaption? I can't think of one off of the top of my head. All I can think of when I think of video game adaptations are Max Payne and Hitman...and those were most definitely not good movies.

Definitely a very negative feeling just because of the track record of Hollywood. Who knows though...might come out well if they put in the time.

Coincidentally...this just popped up:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056377

CBS Films has secured film rights to Square Enix's cyberpunk videogame franchise "Deus Ex," with Roy Lee and Adrian Askarieh attached to produce.

With high-profile game-to-film adaptations having mostly stumbled at the box office, and gamemakers getting more cautious over how their franchises are treated by Hollywood, CBS Films will work closely with "Deus Ex" developer Eidos-Montreal on the bigscreen version. Film will revolve around second installment "Deus Ex: Human Revolution."

Has the video game developer ever had nearly as much creative control over the adaptation process as Ubisoft (and BioWare for the supposed Mass Effect movie) will have with this one? I think it's a little early to completely dismiss them as "horrible movies" considering that we currently know next-to-nothing about the casts, directors, scripts, or even if they will be based on individual games or completely new stories.

Before, I didn't really have an opinion one way or the other, but the news that Fassbender will be so highly involved has bumped this one up to "cautious optimism."

Super Mario Bros. has a stain on its reputation that will never go away thanks to that damned live-action movie... *shakes head* No one who was born before that movie was made will forget it and because of the Internet, records of its existence will never go away.

And really... have we actually seen a truly good movie based on a video game to come out? That said, there are some that aren't terrible... which is why I'm waiting to see what becomes of all of this...

• 1 month later...

It'll be interesting to see the kind of props they'll have in this movie.

Meanwhile, these are seriously awesome:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

In the words of one Youtube commenter, "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY FLORINS!"

• 4 months later...

Archived