Home

Dual Saber Jedi?

Suaidan

Sara Ketto. Killed by the newly christened Darth Vader. She dual wielded.

Exar Kun invented the double bladed saber in his sith days. He was a great duelist single and quite proficient dual wielder.

Kao Cen Darach was also a dual wielder but despite his supposedly superior skill and experience with the variant, he was still no match for the brute force of Lord Malgus.

Aryn Leneer also had some proficiency in dual wielding in Deceived, though initially she started out single wielding.

I personally think this style is underrated. Purists (IMO conformists) used to win the popularity vote with single bladed claiming dual wield is excessive, lacking elegance, too barbaric, and blah-blah-blah. Funny we didn't see this complaint about Maul with a double bladed saber. Whether people like it or not, it's a viable style and it's here to stay.

Even if on cutscenes in SWTOR only the primary blade is used, people like it enough to use it.

Sara Ketto. Killed by the newly christened Darth Vader. She dual wielded.

Exar Kun invented the double bladed saber in his sith days. He was a great duelist single and quite proficient dual wielder.

Kao Cen Darach was also a dual wielder but despite his supposedly superior skill and experience with the variant, he was still no match for the brute force of Lord Malgus.

Aryn Leneer also had some proficiency in dual wielding in Deceived, though initially she started out single wielding.

I personally think this style is underrated. Purists (IMO conformists) used to win the popularity vote with single bladed claiming dual wield is excessive, lacking elegance, too barbaric, and blah-blah-blah. Funny we didn't see this complaint about Maul with a double bladed saber. Whether people like it or not, it's a viable style and it's here to stay.

Even if on cutscenes in SWTOR only the primary blade is used, people like it enough to use it.

I think it is underated too, just because it was not introduced in the original series people knock it but honestly a dual saber style would rely more on finesse and speed and accuracy where are a single saber is more based on power. Dual-weilding is obviously superior.

The Style is generally known as Jar'Kai or Niman

Jar'Kai was an ancient sword-fighting technique that utilized dual-wielding. Niman is a lightsaber form that balances out the others, having no specific strengths nor weaknesses. It could be used with or without two lightsabers.

Wow, I sound like a nerd. :xp:

Jar'Kai was an ancient sword-fighting technique that utilized dual-wielding. Niman is a lightsaber form that balances out the others, having no specific strengths nor weaknesses. It could be used with or without two lightsabers.

Interesting fact. Not surprising some REAL WORLD applications/methods are added to star wars, George is kind of a history buff from everything i have heard.

The first example that I know of is Luke in the old Marvel Star Wars comics. The next one I can think of is Boc from the first Jedi Knight game. Then Attack of the Clones happened and now they're everywhere.

Was Luke know for this style in the comic or did he just have this for a few fight scenes?

In AotC, Anakin Force pulls Obi-wan's his lightsaber and for a moment he dual wields in a fight against Dooku.

How can people miss that one? It's the most obvious on-screen example.

I was more looking for the fact they use this as a style..as it is just part of their usual fighting.

I was more looking for the fact they use this as a style..as it is just part of their usual fighting.

Well then that's just EU stuff which doesn't matter at all :carms: But in terms of making stuff up to explain obscure things that happen in the canon which is what EU is good at... I'm sure Anakin knew and was using a dual wielding saber style during that fight (which he had practiced) but doesn't dual wield regularly because it's not his favourite style.

Well then that's just EU stuff which doesn't matter at all :carms: But in terms of making stuff up to explain obscure things that happen in the canon which is what EU is good at... I'm sure Anakin knew and was using a dual wielding saber style during that fight (which he had practiced) but doesn't dual wield regularly because it's not his favourite style.

Yeah, it is an actual style according to Wookiepedia called "Jar'Kai"...not sure if that style was a thought in the original idea of things or not though.

Was Luke know for this style in the comic or did he just have this for a few fight scenes?

It was just a one off thing, like Anakin in Attack of the Clones but more elaborate. I've never read Marvel Star Wars, I don't even know why I know this.

Here. That should explain the rest.

I've just remembered another case from before Attack of the Clones, though. One of the Council members in the comics set before Phantom Menace wielded two yellow sabers. Here's a picture.

It was just a one off thing, like Anakin in Attack of the Clones but more elaborate. I've never read Marvel Star Wars, I don't even know why I know this.

Here. That should explain the rest.

I've just remembered another case from before Attack of the Clones, though. One of the Council members in the comics set before Phantom Menace wielded two yellow sabers. Here's a picture.

This is such an interesting subject for me because Jedi/Sith have so much range in traits/styles/personalities that the combinations are endless.

Darth Bane had a Twi'lek master for a while who was a 'Blademaster' at the Sith Academy on Korriban. This guy knew all the lightsaber fighting styles, and taught all the sith at the academy that dual wielding was inherently a flawed style, and shouldn't be used. In reality, he secretly practised it himself, presumably because it's actually very powerful.

IIRC Revan is depicted as having dual sabers in some places, but whether this is canon or not, I don't know.

Luke Skywalker employed the use of a secondary, shorter lightsaber called a 'shoto' for a while. 'Shoto' is a Japanese word for short swords, and samurai sometimes used shoto's just like Jedi are showed as using. The Jedi are, obviously, based on samurai to some extent.

Darth Bane had a Twi'lek master for a while who was a 'Blademaster' at the Sith Academy on Korriban. This guy knew all the lightsaber fighting styles, and taught all the sith at the academy that dual wielding was inherently a flawed style, and shouldn't be used. In reality, he secretly practised it himself, presumably because it's actually very powerful.

IIRC Revan is depicted as having dual sabers in some places, but whether this is canon or not, I don't know.

Luke Skywalker employed the use of a secondary, shorter lightsaber called a 'shoto' for a while. 'Shoto' is a Japanese word for short swords, and samurai sometimes used shoto's just like Jedi are showed as using. The Jedi are, obviously, based on samurai to some extent.

That would be very like a Sith Lord to always have some edge over his apprentice.

True, but Niman actually encompasses dual wielding--a recent revision to be sure. There were previously numerous "sub-forms" of lightsaber combat and techniques, strategy, tactics, etc.

It is said in some of the referenced material that ultimate mastery of dual wield requires strong proficiency to mastery of Niman. And supposedly Ataru's full mastery required dual wield.

What I wonder is why emphasis on mastering one-handed variations of all the forms isn't brought up especially if Niman blends all the forms before it (1 through 5) and dual wield is obviously 2 single blades, one in each hand.

Makashi makes the most use of single hand (though form 2 practitioners have been known to use two hands on a single blade as well), but the others do too.

The first example that I know of is Luke in the old Marvel Star Wars comics. The next one I can think of is Boc from the first Jedi Knight game. Then Attack of the Clones happened and now they're everywhere.

My picture album has some issues from the same series (fair to mediocre condition) I found at a yard sale a few years ago for 25 cents a piece, though not the specific issue of which you speak.

Now that I think of it, you're right about the first Jedi Knight game. Boc Aseca.

In AotC, Anakin Force pulls Obi-wan's his lightsaber and for a moment he dual wields in a fight against Dooku.

How can people miss that one? It's the most obvious on-screen example.

I thought we were forgetting something.

Or the cut content where they had Christopher Lee dual wielding in a few test shoots until they decided to scrap that idea for character development of Dooku preferring single bladed. Actually reading Labyrinth of Evil right now where he interjects on the various saber forms while training General Grievous.

Jar'Kai was an ancient sword-fighting technique that utilized dual-wielding. Niman is a lightsaber form that balances out the others, having no specific strengths nor weaknesses. It could be used with or without two lightsabers

True, but Niman actually encompasses dual wielding--a recent revision to be sure.

As above :)

Archived