Home

A voice for Revan K1

TWINKEYRUNAWAY

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I thought it would be really cool if I could find someone to do the lines for this character in the first game. To give him a voice, something I think would be something of a milestone for an unmodded pure version of kotor. Before you ask, I am not making this mod but I am doing something of a scouting mission to see if there are interested voice actors. So far I have received 5 auditions and 3 of them are sounding really good/fitting. The purpose is so that eventually such a feat can be accomplished.

The mod request would be if I could find a suitable voice, would any modder here be interested in making it so that the voice actor's lines can be lip-synced into the game?(with a reasonable amount of time and effort of course).

I like the idea, and I might even install it if something like this is accomplished - move KotOR 1 step closer to modern day standards.

Still, it wouldn't be a permanent tenant of my Override folder though; this makes me react the same way I reacted to Halo 4 when MC got a voice >.< I always thought MC was me... But after watching the H4 trailers, he really wasn't the same character anymore... Same for Revan. Give him voice and it won't be me talking anymore. x.x

I believe this is how it is, I can't remember the last time I tested such a thing, but you cannot give the PC lines voice and lipsnych, at least, how they are now. Basically, you'd need to have a dummy NPC of your PC spawn every time you start a conversation, and work that dummy into the conversation with the voice and stuff after every conversation choice the PC makes. Now I might be wrong, but if I'm not, it's just an unrealistic goal to get the entire game voiced. Though technically it could be done. It'd just take a LONG time to complete. Again, I might be wrong.

That does sound like a hassle. ._. Still I think it can have great cut-scene purpose. I was playing mass effect the other day, which actually my source of inspiration. Well I guess the only way for something like this to be tested out, would be to get a few lines recorded, attempt to put them in game and see how the scene/convo goes. If it didn't go well then this would be a lost cause, but if it looked and sounded good maybe it still has a future. Of course I am no skilled modder(yet anyway) so I don't know exactly how things work in this engine or how much a modder would have to go through just to make this possible.

I don't think that would be needed, doesn't a custom red line acting as if the PC is the speaker with VO work?

Does still require each .dlg to be modified though to have the PC's response again as voiced line afterwards...

EDIT:

Also, yes, agree unvoiced protaganist are usually better. Shudder when someone says that's "old fashioned" or worse... quite contrary for me. :/

Finding a male is much harder than finding a female one. I literally have quite a few fem voice actresses, it wouldn't be hard at all to get someone to do lines for females thankfully. Its just the more I show this to people the less likely such an idea can occur considering it takes a considerable amount of time. Though I think I can turn some heads with the current prospect I found. Perhaps in my next video, the modders I am trying to pitch will feel more...willing.

I don't think that would be needed, doesn't a custom red line acting as if the PC is the speaker with VO work?

Does still require each .dlg to be modified though to have the PC's response again as voiced line afterwards...

EDIT:

Also, yes, agree unvoiced protaganist are usually better. Shudder when someone says that's "old fashioned" or worse... quite contrary for me. :/

I believe the game engine will automatically end the dialogue if you attempt to put PLAYER as the speaker.

I also agree with your edit. Though I liked Mass Effect's voicing of the protagonist, I think most games should leave the PC unvoiced.

Yeah, seems like an impossible task. Instead, I think a better option would be to replace all of Revan's current voice files ("Huh?" "What?" "Didn't work," etc.) with a voice actor who sounds more like the one from TOR.

This I would like.

The actor they got to play Revan in ToR sounds tough in a Jedi way while, no offense to the voice actor, the guy in KotOR doesn't sound all that tough or soldier like if you know what I mean.

I've had this idea a while back. Although it would be the greatest thing ever, in order for it to work the pc would either need it's own tag or an npc dummy to stand in, as said by others.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
However, I do remember on the Leviathan when you take control of a party member, I'm almost sure I remember a point in one conversation where the party member talked without player action, then the next line was the player's choice. With a little look, this might actually prove to be possible.

No, what you're referring to isn't the same thing at all.

Granted having an NPC stand in for the player is possible - The Witcher, for example - but not with the way the game is currently set up.

As far as voiced PCs go, I'd say I prefer voiced over unvoiced, but definitely not in the case of a KOTOR style dialogue tree. I don't really mind reading the dialogue options; the main benefit for having a voiced PC I see is that you can have fewer dialogue options, reduce it down to the important player choices and skill-based stuff like persuasion, and make the rest essentially a cutscene. Having the PC voice exactly what you just read every time - again, The Witcher for the most part - is just tedious, makes it even slower. Then again, I also hate it when the PC says something completely different from what I read - The Witcher 2, Mass Effect, and many others. So maybe I just can't be satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...

While this may simply be something else, I saw a video on youtube where someone was having the PC voice out his lines, with lypsynch, apparently it was supposedly for a fan-made Kotor movie. I was quite interested in how this person would have accomplished it.

Regardless, this kind of mod has been thought of before but not only is it very time-consuming, what is required to make it possible would be tough.

However, I would like to point out that cloning and NPC of the PC is sort of a good idea, when instead you convert the PC into an NPC for a specific amount of time in which he/she speaks his/her lines.

If this project is to be done, I would like it if they made the PC into less of a drone for the Jedi as an LS character.

While this may simply be something else, I saw a video on youtube where someone was having the PC voice out his lines, with lypsynch, apparently it was supposedly for a fan-made Kotor movie. I was quite interested in how this person would have accomplished it.

I believe I know what you're talking about. Those lines were recorded alongside the editing of that video. No PC voicing dialogue.

Who would be crazy enough to record that many lines for a game? It would also not only be a male Revan you'd have to record for but a female Revan as well.
Quite a few people actually. :thmbup1:

I think the fem revan was already mentioned. Though it has been concluded that this can't be achieved as of yet.

They'd have to committed all right . . . probably to an institution.

So...your saying they would go crazy? I think you misjudge how dedicated some people can be(I am being realistic myself, I just wanted to see what some of you would say about this idea). Though no one would ever predict how such a project can go. I am sure BOS had similar problems considering it had taken several years to fully complete with voice acting and modeling.

Also I have visited a few voice acting websites for help with certain projects. I have seen how dedicated some people can be, some of these guys have done voice work recordings of over 500 lines and over. So I think it is safe to say there are some crazy people out there with that attitude. though taking several months to record those lines doesn't sound all that attractive.

I would assume the following would happen: 1) one male VA for all male Revan lines, and of course 1 female VA for all female lines. 2) override so that if you are using male Revan, then the female lines are not necessary and are not implemented into the pack or are separate download.

There's still the lipsync (and possibly some animating) that would have to be done for thousands of lines.

The lipsync would be painful to do.. So much copying and pasting.. ugh.

Basically you'd just need a modder who knew lipsyncing, knew dialogue files and maybe a little scripting. The modder would have to be VERY dedicated (or just like tedious work) plus the two voice actors would need to love doing thousands of lines.

Maybe as an alternative, for those who actually want voiced PCs, we could only have the major conversations be voiced?

Stuff like

when you confront Bastila atop the Rakatan temple

or

when you face Malak on the Leviathan

or

the last talk with Malak before you fight him on the Star Forge

It would lessen the workload considerably, but it might be jarring to have some dialogue be voiced and the majority of it be unvoiced.

Archived