Home

TOR F2P - Thoughts?

UltimateHK47

Well, this is what ive been waiting for. The only reason I never bought TOR is because of subscription. And now I can play for free :D I heaerd you can go up to level 50? I hope thats true but if its not i wont be bothered. I just want to give it a proper shot. Im sure many others are thinking the same thing, although im not sure how the subbers feel about this. I play other mmo's and i know the subs look down on the f2p's, for different reasons. So I ask all of you this;

Thoughts on f2p?

--------------------------------------------------------

F2P has meant a revival for some MMO's and I hope the same is true for TOR. It's painfully early in its lifetime to get the F2P treatment, but they had to act fast, because it does seem like the subscription model wasn't succesful. There more than a few people on this board who'd play the game if it went F2P, so I'm looking forward to that. :) As long as they keep the Cartel Coins system for aesthetic stuff and can't be used for an easy and quick jump to the top, I won't be complaining.

By the way, here's a handy comparison between the sub and F2P model.

By the way, here's a handy comparison between the sub and F2P model.

One line tells me that I will never go F2P. "Only subscription members can access Operations." Wouldn't play the game without Ops.

I enjoy other parts, but Ops to me are the reason for the other stuff. I do the dailies and the HMFP dailies for the chance to do the Ops. Thanks to Kus, Jeff, Mav and the people at CA I got to do a NIM Ops last night and it is even more fun than HM Ops. Only bad thing is my alt has now done something my main has not.

For me it is a good change. I don't get to play all that much, and I also want to spend some of my limited free time playing other games (skyrim, haven't finished Mass Effect 3, etc.). I was and am going to cancel my subscription becuase I can't justify the cost, but I plan on playing again for free when that starts up. I enjoy the single player part so I can get a long life out of just that part of the game. Once I get to level 50 with a character or two maybe I'll start a subscription again, but for now it makes more sense to be F2P.

It will certainly bring more idiots to the game (Troll children prefer not to pay) but I hope it can rid itself of the stigma of going F2P so soon, and just get on with being an MMO. It makes me mad because they seem to be more concerned with bad press, sacking their employees, rearranging the subscription model, justifying their decisions to the Board and posting pointless Q & A threads; Its almost VIOLENTLY clear what the community wants from an MMO, and this game in particular.

Hopefully with them making back their investment, and leveling off at about 500k-700k subs (Losing a million subs is no mean feat, but thats another discussion) They can concentrate on building the living, breathing, virtual world we were promised (SP story doesn't count mmo fans!)

People don't like to admit it, but its the small things, that inherently come with a micro-transaction model, that make an MMO.

One mans "Fluff item/option", is another mans immersion.

• 4 weeks later...

I reall do enjoy the game, and I don't mean to seem mean(there I've said "With all do respect" now I can say what ever i want), but I think the biggest reason people are leaving is because they finish the story..

I know they are adding a planet that will have a story on it, butwhat they really need to do is call in the writers, and give each class its own a lvl 50-100 story...

I know there's lots more things to do after the story, but not everyone is into flash points and PVP..

Thats true, I am sure alot of people do leave once they finish the story or stories if they try each class.

I prefer to stay not just for the endgame flashpoints or ops but for the chance to meet even more people than I have met now.

My first 2 weeks I had one person on my friends list and 2 weeks later it is over 50. Each one willing to come help me out on a heroic or answer questions I have about mmo's in general and knowing I will help them out with anything they have.

It just depends on the person on who stays and who goes.

I hope this isn't considered Off-Topic(if it is just tell me and I'l creat a thread for it or something), but it dose pertain to the game going F2P...

Now I'm not trying to sound like some kind of Elitist D-bag, but when the game becomes 100% free what does that mean to us who have paid for the game? and please don't tell me we get a "Special Vender" because that "Special Vender" that i have access to now is a complete joke(One speeder that cost over 2 million credits, and that's it), so please tell me that us people that have bought and supported the game aren't just getting the shaft here...

Subscribers will also receive a special bonus “Fan Favorite” Party Jawa. Celebrate your status as a veteran of the galaxy anytime with this animating Jawa, who starts a party every chance he gets!
That is almost enough to make me either quit or go F2P.

Not sure about the cartel coins, hoping that is going to be just like BH gear only higher level, but the biggest reason I will continue to play and pay is for Ops. I have now completed everything up to HM EC last two bosses and I believe I am ready for that on my main. Not bad for a noob casual healer playing his first MMO.

The Cartel Coins/micro-trans stuff will largely be frivolous in nature, other sets of legacy/adaptive armor for looks or what not some pets maybe speeders, whatever. BioWare's already stated that to maintain BiS armor you will have to participate in end-game content a majority of which is restricted to subscribers.

Archived