Home

9/11

LDR

Why did no one already make this?

This goes to all of those who lost loved ones during that fateful day. :patriot:

In other related events:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
This same day in 1973, our government installed a warlord into the government of Chile, who has managed to kill thousands of people. During World War II, our government also managed to bomb Japan twice, killing over 150,000 people. I'm not saying 9/11 isn't sad, but if people are really gonna show support, why don't they remember those things? Or perhaps have a Vietnam War Day or Holocaust Day? Fidel Castro has managed to kill thousands and yet his family is still in control of Cuba. Why doesn't anyone do anything about that? What ever happen to Joseph Kony, who everyone was going on about for a week? I don't think he was ever found and dealt with. Why does no one show support to the families in Africa starving - or women being beat, killed, raped, and sold as slaves in the Middle East? Or perhaps even the little boys in China forced to work all day, every day, to make that nice little phone, laptop, PC your reading this on! How come no one is big on that? All and all, lives were still lost in 9/11, and my condolences go out to the friends and family that suffer from it. 9/11 was tragic, and I'm sorry for your loss.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
This same day in 1973, our government installed a warlord into the government of Chile, who has managed to kill thousands of people. During World War II, our government also managed to bomb Japan twice, killing over 150,000 people. I'm not saying 9/11 isn't sad, but if people are really gonna show support, why don't they remember those things? Or perhaps have a Vietnam War Day or Holocaust Day? Fidel Castro has managed to kill thousands and yet his family is still in control of Cuba. Why doesn't anyone do anything about that? What ever happen to Joseph Kony, who everyone was going on about for a week? I don't think he was ever found and dealt with. Why does no one show support to the families in Africa starving - or women being beat, killed, raped, and sold as slaves in the Middle East? Or perhaps even the little boys in China forced to work all day, every day, to make that nice little phone, laptop, PC your reading this on! How come no one is big on that? All and all, lives were still lost in 9/11, and my condolences go out to the friends and family that suffer from it. 9/11 was tragic, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Because no one has the emotional energy to mourn for so many people. We have to detach; to engage is debilitation.

So we focus on things closer to home, on things within our cultures and countries.

9/11 was no where near my home, but it happened to a nation within the sphere of my culture - the Western world - which makes the event close enough to consider.

Condolences to all the families and friends who lost their loved ones in the World Trade Centres on 9/11. I can't know your pain, but I acknowledge it just the same.

Why did no one already make this?

Because people mourn in different ways for different reasons, personally I don’t need to make a big deal about it. A public proclamation is not needed to show my love for my country or my empathy for those that loss love ones that day. I remember, I remember every time I get on a plane, I remember every time I go into a government building, I remember every time I go to a national/state park/monument, I remember every time I see or hear the news of another Soldier killed or wounded in Afghanistan… Personally I don’t need a reminder on anniversary to see how America and the world were changed because of the attack on 9/11/2001; I see reminders of it every day when I see how we allowed our values and freedoms to be circumvented by a bunch of murders all in the name of security.

Because no one has the emotional energy to mourn for so many people. We have to detach; to engage is debilitation.

Very true. It would be very difficult to mourn for the billions of lives cost during the Revolutionary War, The Civil War, "The Great War", WWII, the lives from the Holocaust, and the lives lost from Korea, Vietnam, and 9-11.

However, despite MANY people losing MANY loved ones, the incident of 9-11 ultimately brought us all together.

The terrorists' intentions on 9-11 were obviously to demoralize our nation by taking the lives of hundreds, including the poor firefighters' lives when they were coming up the stairs to rescue the trapped people while the building collapsed.

However, the exact opposite of what the terrorists' intended happened.

They expected us to become demoralized, broken, and defeated, but at the end, all they did was unite us even more as a country.

Disagree, their intentions were

1. To show we were vulnerable.

2. To make us violate our own principles in the name of security

3. To get our troops over there so that they were easier to kill.

Yes, the attacked did bring America and most of the world together for a short period of time. Today we are more divided than ever.

Disagree, their intentions were

1. To show we were vulnerable.

2. To make us violate our own principles in the name of security

3. To get our troops over there so that they were easier to kill.

Yes, the attacked did bring America and most of the world together for a short period of time. Today we are more divided than ever.

My mistake, I should have worded my post better.

What I meant was....by demoralizing us, it would have shown that they could literally assault any major landmark in the world (showing we're vulnerable) even though now it is almost impossible.

And what do you mean we are more divided than ever? Racism? Prejudice towards other religions and/or atheists? Age vs. youth?

Come on guys we don't need a political debate. I'm sure this thread was started so that we could acknowledge the thousands who were lost and the thousands who suffer still. I pray for those who were lost, those who were crippled, and those who suffer emotionally. I praise those brave men and women who help anyway they could, whether they ran into the rubble or simply comforted the families of those lost. When this tragedy happened I was in 1st grade, I had no idea why we were released early from school or why my mother was crying. When I now watch the videos, when I see the pictures I understand why mother cried.

And what do you mean we are more divided than ever?
More like all of the above...You put 5 Americans an any room and you get 25 different opinions on any subject.

Come on guys we don't need a political debate.

Yeah, politics had nothing to do with a bunch of idiots hijacking planes and murdering people. Much like the drug war, we will never win the war on terrorism because we refuse to examine the underlining cause. We just know we were attacked and we have to attack someone, even if it is the wrong people and all we are doing in creating the next generation of terrorist. We good, they evil...that is all we need to know. :rolleyes:

Yeah, politics had nothing to do with ...

[Not taking you out of context(as you have accused me of doing in the past), just shortening it to explain what I'm responding to.]

Perhaps because this isn't Kavar's people don't want to get into the political aspect of it.

And honestly, I could give a rip about the sensitivities of the people who think it's okay to kill someone over the portrayal of their prophet and god. Oooo they offended me. Now I have to suffocate the ambassador of their country. Until they have their reformation and their clerics formally denounce killing people because some knuckle dragger decided to post a hateful video on the internet, they can suck it.

(sorry for the rant... it's rather personal for me)

[Not taking you out of context(as you have accused me of doing in the past), just shortening it to explain what I'm responding to.]

Perhaps because this isn't Kavar's people don't want to get into the political aspect of it.

And honestly, I could give a rip about the sensitivities of the people who think it's okay to kill someone over the portrayal of their prophet and god. Oooo they offended me. Now I have to suffocate the ambassador of their country. Until they have their reformation and their clerics formally denounce killing people because some knuckle dragger decided to post a hateful video on the internet, they can suck it.

(sorry for the rant... it's rather personal for me)

It is slightly personal for me as well. I am a Muslim, although most cannot tell right away because I am Caucasian.

Every time the religion convo. pops up, and I state what I believe in, they ask me if I'm a terrorist.

I mean, really? And it's ten times worse for me, because I live in the south (Georgia). Most people here are just dumb*ss, ignorant, and prejudiced rednecks.

Even though they cannot tease/insult me physically because I am 6'5", I still occasionally recieve insults. I am above most people on a maturity level, so I won't resort to threatening to beating people up.

Forgive if I sound like a b*tch. I feel a ton better now that I expressed myself.

Yeah, I don't give a rip about those either, however I do not equate everyone that can be categorized to one particular group, responsible for the actions of small extremist minority within that group. I know that is precisely what the terrorist are doing, but I do not consider myself an extremist, nor do I consider my country to be extremist beyond a few rating hunting entertainers on the radio and television and I don’t give a rip what they have to say about it either.

It is slightly personal for me as well. I am a Muslim, although most cannot tell right away because I am Caucasian.

Every time the religion convo. pops up, and I state what I believe in, they ask me if I'm a terrorist.

I mean, really? And it's ten times worse for me, because I live in the south (Georgia). Most people here are just dumb*ss, ignorant, and prejudiced rednecks.

Even though they cannot tease/insult me physically because I am 6'5", I still occasionally recieve insults. I am above most people on a maturity level, so I won't resort to threatening to beating people up.

Forgive if I sound like a b*tch. I feel a ton better now that I expressed myself.

To be fair, I was speaking more of the people living in that region. Nearly every Muslim I know of in the west has a much more level head. Sure they may not like someone insulting the prophet or Allah, but they aren't about to go drag them through the streets because of it.

To be fair, I was speaking more of the people living in that region. Nearly every Muslim I know of in the west has a much more level head. Sure they may not like someone insulting the prophet or Allah, but they aren't about to go drag them through the streets because of it.

Sorry. I just needed to vent. Sorry if I offended anyone.

@mimartin: Those terrorists are the minority. Those terrorists are the same minority who would kill someone over a cartoon. The next generation terrorist would still be in that same minority that you would have us "understand." You put more weight into the underlying cause. I was explaining(probably badly) that I don't care about their excuse for attacking us. They will make their own excuse. This whole excuse of infidels walking in Mecca is just BS. They are simply murdering f***tards who deserve no sympathy or attempt to understand their reasoning. If we were to yank all our troops out and allow Israel to be driven into the sea, they would find a new excuse to hate us. There are certain clerics in that region that would feel right at home in The South if you simply replaced the religion with "Baptist." Those clerics push their brand of hate. They give their people excuses to murder people not like themselves. Heck maybe they could run as a Republican and talk about how much they hate gay marriage.

@thejman217: No worries, I was not offended. I felt I needed to clarify because I realized that it may have seemed as though my attack was on all the followers of Islam, rather than the select few who become terrorists and would murder people over their offense.

So people are born terrorist? That is all we need to know. Sorry I just would like to know why people would consider strapping a bomb to themselves a good option. However, I have no doubt that we will continue to treat the symptoms instead of trying to see if there is a cure to the disease. It will end up being just as successful as our war on drugs.

So people are born terrorist? That is all we need to know. Sorry I just would like to know why people would consider strapping a bomb to themselves a good option. However, I have no doubt that we will continue to treat the symptoms instead of trying to see if there is a cure to the disease. It will end up being just as successful as our war on drugs.

I don't believe I said that people are born terrorists. Some are pre-disposed to listening to the rantings of lunatics. Do you try to understand the KKK? Do you wonder how we could make them happy? They make their own reason for hate, whether real or imagined. Just as some people in the US are more likely to listen to and agree with Rush or Beck others are likely to listen to the rantings of raving lunatics over there.

Note: I'm saying they are more like us than either side would like to admit, it's just that Rush and Beck aren't actually getting people to strap bombs to themselves.

I never said anything about making anyone happy. Sorry you seem to be adding preconceived notions into what this liberal, fascist, commie, pinko is saying, when I am actual closer to Ronald Reagan in my ideology in this department.

Yes I try to understand people that have such hatred, even those in the KKK, but again I could careless on how to make them happy. I would like to stop people from getting to that point, from what I have seen in life and from what I have learned in school we are not born with a hate gene. It is a learned emotion.

Note: Rush and Beck are blowholes entertainers much like Maher (even though Maher is more intelligent and funnier), I see no real danger with any of them except for the idiots that have blind faith in them and listen to them like they are preaching the gospel. I far more sacred of idiots that put such blind loyalty in those outside of the media spotlight.

So people are born terrorist? That is all we need to know.

How does that make any sense?

EDIT

I also get really irked when people say "That is all we need to know".

Really? I'm not saying @mimartin is closed minded, but you are so closed minded and refuse to accept any other truth so you plainly say "That is all we need to know"?

Archived