Home

US Marines Get an ATAT?

SkinWalker

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/09/11/reuters-tv-marines-take-big-dog-for-walkies-in-the?videoId=237657751&videoChannel=118065

"...and if it frightens the enemy into submission, that's a plus."

A robotic "pack mule" for ground troops is about to be field-tested by embedding with Marines on deployment. The video is interesting but the thing is just too noisy...

• 1 month later...

Not really an ATAT so to speak, I remember seeing something in the Call Of Duty: Black Ops II trailer that looked like a walking mech of some kind, that would be cool to see in the future (not like more war machines would be "cool" compared with the kinds of conflicts we'd have that would be better avoided). I've seen videos about this robotic pack mule thing before, and I feel like its cool but seems impractical when you get right down to it. Maybe if they focus on the walking technology they can apply it to larger projects in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Thread title is a tad hyperbole but, meh.

That's pretty cool. I was aware several years ago we were making "bug" robots that had 6 turning legs which could traverse over obstacles and uneven ground (to a point). Nice to see we're improving our technology. I don't know if I'm going to like it so much when we get the pricetag for it, though.

Archived