Home

Black Mesa (Source)

Bob Saget

bm_logo1.jpg

I know, a day late, but since I see no topic up around here, well I think it deserves Recognition.

For those of you who don't know, Black Mesa Source was a remake of the original Half Life into the new source engine, which they believe that Valve didn't do a good job in it's Half Life source remake (I also believe that as well).

Anyway - I will say that I am about half-way through the game and am very impressed, and I am happy to say that this mod will entertain me for a good long while.

been playing it for a while tonight. what its not is the original with new graphics. they've updated a lot of the maps to give every location a different and more realistic look. not that it makes any major change to the gameplay, its just that the maps have a much more lived in look.

combat is about the same, but the weapons have a bit of a different feel to them. the pistol, for instance, has a much higher rate of fire (its still semi-auto), and the soundfx for the gun firing actually seems to have some kick to it. the SMG is now modeled to look like an MP5, and it fires in 3 round bursts. a couple other changes, too, but i don't want to spoil anything.

overall package so far: very impressive.

I'm busy playing Guild Wars 2 (with stoffe), and Torchlight II is coming out tomorrow so my card is full for a good couple of months, but I'll definitely be playing this at some point. I believe they are waiting for the green light from steam to make it downloadable there with steam achievements and cloud etc, so I'll probably wait for that to happen.

Downloaded it, had a small short test run. Like Stingerhs said, they 'improved' the look of the maps, no suprise really, looking back at the old half-life it would have been a very empty research station.

Certainly worth it to play it again; these guys did a stellar job on recreating this old classic.

Edit: Oh, there are some funny achievements to be unlocked at the start of the game. Involves microwaves and toilets :lol:

There are some subtle differences though. Like Barneys have been turned into random security guard with Barney's voice, random scientist is more random but still same voice, Ok and Black Mesa actually became an EEOC workplace by hiring women. The environments look more lived in(or "died" in).

Archived