Home

Kotor Tool paths w/ Steam version of K1 and TSL?

SimonKTemplar

I recently acquired the Steam versions of both K1 and TSL for the pc, however I'm having issues getting Kotor Tool to detect both games in the registry. While I only had the first game installed it didn't detect it, but when I installed both games it only detected K1 but not TSL.

So far, I've manually added the game paths to the Path Manager and it detects K1 without a problem, but it won't detect TSL. Is there a way to manually tweak one of the settings files so it detects TSL in the registry, or is there some other way to make Kotor Tool detect TSL?

My game paths are both:

steam/steamapps/common/swkotor

steam/steamapps/common/Knights of the Old Republic II

• 3 weeks later...
I recently acquired the Steam versions of both K1 and TSL for the pc, however I'm having issues getting Kotor Tool to detect both games in the registry. While I only had the first game installed it didn't detect it, but when I installed both games it only detected K1 but not TSL.

So far, I've manually added the game paths to the Path Manager and it detects K1 without a problem, but it won't detect TSL. Is there a way to manually tweak one of the settings files so it detects TSL in the registry, or is there some other way to make Kotor Tool detect TSL?

My game paths are both:

steam/steamapps/common/swkotor

steam/steamapps/common/Knights of the Old Republic II

Steam doesn't write to registry that KotOR II is installed, so what you need to do is:

1. Open regedit

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ on 32 Bit Windows, or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node on 64 Bit Windows.

3. Add Key: "LucasArts" (no quotes)

4. Add Key to LucasArts Key: "KotOR2" (no quotes)

5. Add String Value to KotOR2 Key: "Path" (no quotes) with data set to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\" (no quotes) on 32-bit Windows, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\" on 64-bit windows.

If you properly create TSL's registry key, then Kotor Tool will have no problem detecting TSL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Steam doesn't write to registry that KotOR II is installed, so what you need to do is:

1. Open regedit

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ on 32 Bit Windows, or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node on 64 Bit Windows.

5. Add String Value to KotOR2 Key: "Path" (no quotes) with data set to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\" (no quotes) on 32-bit Windows, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II\" on 64-bit windows.

If you properly create TSL's registry key, then Kotor Tool will have no problem detecting TSL.

Hey thanx for being nice and helping people sort this problem out. However, I'm also having this problem and I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to these things so can you please tell me what exactly 'regedit' is and where I can find it. Also, maybe when I find it and open it I can understand your step by step instructions better, but as it is, they are very hard to follow. Thanx.

• 3 months later...

1. Open regedit

This has worked for TSL, but I'm still having problems getting KotOR Tool to detect the steam installation of KotOR I. I've tried doing the same process, adding the key, "KOTOR" instead of "KotOR2", and having the string value "Path" under that point to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor\", but that doesn't work. I've also tried manually entering the path in KotOR Tool, but that doesn't work either. Thoughts?

EDIT: Solved it thanks to tk102's post.

1. Open regedit

3. Add Key: "BioWare" (no quotes)

4. Add Key to BioWare Key: "SW" (no quotes)

5. Add Key to SW Key: "KOTOR" (no quotes)

5. Add String Value to KOTOR Key: "Path" (no quotes) with data set to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor\" (no quotes) on 32-bit Windows, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor\" on 64-bit windows.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, KoTOR Tool auto detects my install folder for TSL, but it isn't giving me a tree to play with like it does for KoTOR 1. I had to create a registry for TSL and it seems to have worked as far as auto detecting, but I can't actually do anything with it. Anyone have any ideas why it might not be working?

Okay, KoTOR Tool auto detects my install folder for TSL, but it isn't giving me a tree to play with like it does for KoTOR 1. I had to create a registry for TSL and it seems to have worked as far as auto detecting, but I can't actually do anything with it. Anyone have any ideas why it might not be working?

That depends.

1. Did you give the path where your TSL was actually on your system when you made the registry entry?

2. Have you restarted your computer since then?

• 2 months later...

Try running tool as admin and also check if Win security permissions are "open" for the folder(s).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived