Home

Creepy Creatures

LDR

So I was bored, and surfing the internet, when I found this.

gianthornet1.jpg

A Japanese Giant Hornet.

I have a phobia of wasps. Especially giant freakin' hornets.

So then the idea hit me, why not make a thread about it? So I did.

Here's some other freaky creatures I've found. How about you guys?

3052.jpg?v=1

This thing (Theridion grallatora) is literally named the Happy-Face Spider.

3050.jpg?v=1

The Amblypygi, or the tailless whip scorpion. It looks like a huge spider with arms and claws.

@LDR: *sarcasm* Thanks so much for making this "non-terrifying" thread lol XD.

Anyways, I'm sort afraid of any stinging, flying insect. When I was around 5 a huge yellow, huge, and extremely furry/fuzzy yellow jacket landed on my palm. So I tried to slap it. *failure*. The thing stung me. After that sting, I cried for two hours because it hurt so much. (remember, I was five at the time so that's why I cried for an abnormal length).

I am very afraid of bees, however I don't have a phobia of them. But holy crap that bee is SO FREAKIN BIG!

EDIT

While most bees, wasps, and hornets usually don't sting without a reason unless you give them one, the ones in China, Japan, and tropical Vietnam will sting without reason. And I heard that the pain is sometimes so excruciating that people double over in pain. Yikes.

This creature is soooo creepy it made it into 2 movie monsters with only parts of it.... I give you the Antlion Larvae

Antlion2.jpg

Wrath of Khan had the look of this terrifying creature.

Enemy Mine it had a pit like the Antlion larvae.

What they do is make this funnel shaped pit that traps whatever wanders into it. That's when the real horror show begins. As the thing tries to get out, the creature flicks dirt out of the pit to make the walls steeper. Removing the dirt at the bottom makes whatever happens to be in the pit, slide down to it's waiting jaws. Think that's bad? On top of that, the monster pierces the victim with mandibles that injects a paralyzing toxin into it. Then it sucks out the juices because it wasn't creepy enough already. The movie monster just pulled you down and ate you.

What they do is make this funnel shaped pit that traps whatever wanders into it. That's when the real horror show begins. As the thing tries to get out, the creature flicks dirt out of the pit to make the walls steeper. Removing the dirt at the bottom makes whatever happens to be in the pit, slide down to it's waiting jaws. Think that's bad? On top of that, the monster pierces the victim with mandibles that injects a paralyzing toxin into it. Then it sucks out the juices because it wasn't creepy enough already. The movie monster just pulled you down and ate you.

*Shudders for five minutes, but can't stop looking at it*

Uhhhhhhh.......That thing is so CREEPY! I mean, bugs with a hard exoskeleton are alright, but why do the spiders/flying insects have to be FURRY too? Does God want me to never sleep again?

I don't know why people insist on posting these horrifying pictures of spiders on the internet.

No offense to @LDR.

EDIT

How big is that thing anyway? I tried to look it up, but apparently there are 2000+ species of "Antlion larvae".

I should have mentioned that while creepy, they are tiny. If they were bigger, they would be downright monsters.

Here in the Southwestern US, we get some weird creepy bugs. The palo verde beetle.

creature-beetle-lawrence.jpg

I first had to find out what it was by typing in a google search of Cockroach on steroids.

Then we have the Arizona Bark scorpion

arizona_bark_scorpion.jpg

Interesting fun fact about scorpions. All of them glow under a black light. Even the black ones. Even scorpion fossils glow under a black light.

7023253261_6f6aea3dac.jpg And handy thing to know... The smaller the claws, the bigger the sting.

Fun fact. The camel spider is not really a spider, and it has no venom.

And the tailless whip scorpion in the OP aren't scorpions either.

Yeah, I know they have no venom, but their bite is excruciating.

Fun Fact: Everything in this thread can be killed with the liberal application of fire.

?

081506_034.jpg

These western conifer seed bugs were showing up in my house a few years ago, luckily they don't move much and are harmless, they actually look pretty cool close up. I would use an empty yogurt cup to capture them and put them outside, as I do with most bugs when I can. Once my Dad left a screenless window open one summer night and I was up and I noticed tons of moths everywhere coming from the window, and I had to catch them all and release them. They were everywhere.

One that makes guys shriek is one you can't even see.

The toothpick fish. AKA don't pee in the water.

Normally it darts and heads for the gills of fish and spreads it's spiked fins to hold it in place in the gills. But it can swim up the urethra being drawn by the smell of ammonia. There it spreads it's fins and lives off the blood. Removal requires surgery, and possible amputation.

081506_034.jpg

These western conifer seed bugs were showing up in my house a few years ago, luckily they don't move much and are harmless, they actually look pretty cool close up. I would use an empty yogurt cup to capture them and put them outside, as I do with most bugs when I can. Once my Dad left a screenless window open one summer night and I was up and I noticed tons of moths everywhere coming from the window, and I had to catch them all and release them. They were everywhere.

I know how to copy/paste a URL to a post but how do you make the image actually appear like above? Can one of you tell me?

One that makes guys shriek is one you can't even see.

The toothpick fish. AKA don't pee in the water.

Normally it darts and heads for the gills of fish and spreads it's spiked fins to hold it in place in the gills. But it can swim up the urethra being drawn by the smell of ammonia. There it spreads it's fins and lives off the blood. Removal requires surgery, and possible amputation.

If it's so tiny, then how can you tell it is there? Does it go for humans? What are the symptoms? I'm not paranoid that I'll get it or anything lol, but how do you realize that it's there?

Archived