Home

When does it go free?

Canderis

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in November, probably late Nov.

They need to place things so one the system works and also have items/ carrot to try to allure players from free to play to Sub after they played for some time...or atleast buy cartel coins so they can have more character slots or warzone/operations acess

Hell, once it goes F2P, I think that I might actually pick this up the next time it goes on sale for 10 bucks, and I've been hating on this abomination game for years. :p

Since it has now failed sufficiently to my satisfaction (:devsmoke: ), I don't have a problem with tossing 'em a sawbuck. That's all they're getting, though. Not one penny more. :carms:

Yep..might as well just agree. It's a failure. It failed. Yep, big 'ol failure.

Happy?? Yes you are.

Good.

Now I'm going to go play this awesomely fun game some more.

AARGH!! I really should stop coming here and reading this drivel.

I got really bummed on the game for awhile there, but it wasn't because I don't like it, I love it.

It's because I actually started listening to the idiots in-game and out. Whining and complaing about some stupid crap that isn't even relevant in a new game like this.

Yes, granted 1.4 ticked me off because it bugged everything out, and because they changed some stuff I don't think needs changing. Overload still looks like crap and if they were going to do it anyway, why not just make it look like Force Wave and get rid of that horribly timed animation?

Remove the flip in the air and it might look ok. Getting used to Force Wave now just like I did Project.

Anyway, rant finished. I got some dailies to do.

A game that's fun = failure.

A game that's hugely profitable = great success.

Cause, you know... that's what's really important.

Also... @ Q: Why don't you just download it for free when it becomes F2P and... you know, not pay anything at all to begin with because you don't actually need to spend 10 bucks buying a disc?

Also, this game isn't an abomination. Not even close... there are games that come MUCH closer (since they're just not fun at all) and one game that truly is an abomination, but just because there's no Knights of the Old Republic III doesn't make this an abomination...

(The true abomination is Metroid: Other M)

just because there's no Knights of the Old Republic III doesn't make this an abomination...

This is Star Wars we're talking about here. Unless fans don't get what they want, and exactly how they want, everything else that comes out is crap.

But seriously, I believe most of the rant against the game is all about it not being KotOR III. I mean, I would prefer a singleplayer offline game aswell, but I can recognize that this is a good online RPG.

But seriously, I believe most of the rant against the game is all about it not being KotOR III. I mean, I would prefer a singleplayer offline game aswell, but I can recognize that this is a good online RPG.

Maybe 3 years ago, the rants are about what was/is in other MMO's and not in TOR.

I'm sorry I just don't see the game is a failure.

1. It is the Best Star Wars game I have ever played (end of story).

2. You have the option to play it solo or play it with friends.

3. Nowhere else can I get people to shot at or spit on Lynk without facing jail time.

4. It has operations.

5. It is fun.

Yes, there are some epic fails too, but most is just from BioWare not really knowing how to deal with the needy MMO crowd or the needy Star Wars fanboy. They try to cater to much to either and end up pleasing no one.

F2P just means more people playing, it will also mean more people whining, but that can't be helped. I just hope BioWare sticks somewhat to it guns and stops this endless nerfing of things that do not need to be nerfed. So what you cannot do it, learn your abilities and try again after that. The game is full of choices, if you don't want to grind don't grind, if you hate space missions, don't do them, if you hate groups, play solo, but you don't have to complain about crap just because it is in game and you don't like it.

I think to a degree part of the criticism also comes from the fact that they completely killed off Star Wars Galaxies. I know I'm mad about that. More mad about that than not getting KotOR III. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that. They were different enough that they could have coexisted. And honestly, they might have both helped each other out. It also left a real sour taste in people's mouths. Sure there were some that would never have been satisfied without either KotOR III or Pre-CU SWG, but there was no reason to completely kill off SWG. Personally it made me more worried about the longevity of SWTOR. I mean You build up friendships and alliances and end up having the game yanked from under you... I know that's how many SWG fans felt. They got robbed of the game they loved 3 times.

I think to a degree part of the criticism also comes from the fact that they completely killed off Star Wars Galaxies. I know I'm mad about that. More mad about that than not getting KotOR III. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that. They were different enough that they could have coexisted. And honestly, they might have both helped each other out. It also left a real sour taste in people's mouths. Sure there were some that would never have been satisfied without either KotOR III or Pre-CU SWG, but there was no reason to completely kill off SWG. Personally it made me more worried about the longevity of SWTOR. I mean You build up friendships and alliances and end up having the game yanked from under you... I know that's how many SWG fans felt. They got robbed of the game they loved 3 times.

Galaxies was my first MMOG, and although I didn't play it as often as some people, I accompanied its evolution. I'm even one of the few who thinks the latest version offered a much more solid game and experience than the Pre-CU/NGE. However, as every MMOG, it would go away sooner or later. I was actually expecting that it would go F2P at TOR's launch, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I think I can only invest a good amount of time and money on an MMOG when companies assure me that a singleplayer version will be available when they, for some reason, have to close down the servers. And contrary to popular belief, it's doable if they have that in mind from the start.

Galaxies was my first MMOG, and although I didn't play it as often as some people, I accompanied its evolution. I'm even one of the few who thinks the latest version offered a much more solid game and experience than the Pre-CU/NGE. However, as every MMOG, it would go away sooner or later. I was actually expecting that it would go F2P at TOR's launch, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I think I can only invest a good amount of time and money on an MMOG when companies assure me that a singleplayer version will be available when they, for some reason, have to close down the servers. And contrary to popular belief, it's doable if they have that in mind from the start.

Don't misunderstand me, I didn't expect SWG to last forever. I would disagree on the point about it being a more solid experience... I would say different game experience altogether. If you played it in the expectation of it being SWG CU or Pre-CU, you would hate it, but if you gave it a chance as it's own game, I would say it was a very good game. But those that loved pre-cu, lost their game with the CU, then had that game ripped from them when the CU became the NGE. Then those that stuck with it and even began enjoying the NGE, had that game ripped from them. Makes it hard to not think the same could happen with TOR.

I think that TOR is probably the most likely to be able to be a single player game after they have to shut the servers down. Might be huge install, but... seems as though a good bit is single player friendly.

SWG had several completely different gameplay styles that you could enjoy. Hack and slash combat. Twitch flight system. and the absolute best(IMHO) crafting system in an MMO. It also had the City game, where you built your cities. The role playing game. Then there was the card game they came out with at the end(I thought this was how the free to play version would make it's money). You could harvest resources, raise pets, or just be an interior decorator if you wanted. Then there's the purely social aspect of the cantinas. Compared to that, TOR lacks much.

Not to say TOR is a bad game at all. I still say it's the most fun active MMO out there.

SWG had several completely different gameplay styles that you could enjoy.

It was an unique experience in the MMO realm, that for sure. I played mostly in space (which was a good space sim on its own). I can't believe I didn't take any screenshots before the game was gone...

I'm sorry I just don't see the game is a failure.

Neither do I, I think they could do a lot of things better, and Bioware's lack of experience in running an MMO shows with regards to keeping people interested outside of major patches.

The failure part comes from the fact that they have lost 75% of their player base, and have had to close 200 servers... Yes it was oversight on their part, but the reviewers not on EA's payroll just look at the big numbers rather than little details.

I log in, run around, and pretend I'm in the Star Wars universe, I do a couple of dailies (For no real reason other than to wave a lightsaber around) and log out. I'm happy to pay £ for that, 800,000 were not unfortunately.

I gave up on it being KotOR III in 2008, as for SWG, I loved, and will continue to, love it, Forever, and as soon as ProjectSWG is launched (Late 2012) I will play that alongside SWTOR (as long as F2P brings a barber shop and more MMO minutia)

@ Canderis: Yeah, the free to lv15 thing is still up as far as I know and won't go away until they implement the full F2P system.

As for the rest... I don't get why it's BioWare's fault that SWG failed. If anything it was SOE's fault and LucasArts fault for letting it happen with their inaction... which has been their trademark for years.

I also don't get the whole thing when people say that swtor is just like any other mmo... cause if it was, I wouldn't be playing it. It's more accurate to say that swtor is a BioWare RPG wrapped in an MMO shell... and that's how I approached this game this entire time. I don't like MMO's... I still don't. The fact that this is an MMO is overshadowed by the fact that it's a BioWare RPG and that there are 8 different class stories to go through which all tie together in some way and tell a larger story.

I avoided swg like the plague... despite the fact that it had space combat and all this stuff that swtor doesn't have (at least at the moment)... I was also one of the people who wanted kotor 3 over this initially. I'm also the one who convinced mim to buy into this game despite him absolutely refusing to initially :p I think whatever disappointment this game has caused in terms of profits and fan support, I've thankfully been able to avoid that because I approached this game a certain way that didn't pile on the expectations of other games onto it but simply judged the game as it is, by itself.

I do this with every game btw, even though I can spot similarities, etc with a lot of games. Judge a game on its own merits or not at all... at least for me.

If anything it was SOE's fault and LucasArts fault for letting it happen with their inaction... which has been their trademark for years.

But they acted when they were loosing subscribers. Unfortunately it wasn't the right action for many.

But they acted when they were loosing subscribers. Unfortunately it wasn't the right action for many.

Well they did in the end, but at that stage it was a lost cause, and from what many have said, swg was long before the whole free to play trend so it didn't have the infrastructure to be able to be converted to a system like that.

They did hold on for as long as possible though... gotta give 'em that.

@ Canderis: I don't really know what's going on... try contacting the tech support dudes and see what the deal is and if this is normal or just a mistake or something.

Archived