Home

When does it go free?

Canderis

They did hold on for as long as possible though... gotta give 'em that.

There are two stories... When they announced SWG was shutting down, SOE made a statement that "They decided not to renew the Star Wars License for a 9th year", later an ex employee made a statement saying that "EA amended the contract to have a "No competition clause" in it, therefore taking the renewal decision out of SOE's hands.

It was originally stated that SWG and SWTOR would exist side by side for a at least a time.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lynk: My reason for not playing it is your reason for playing it. I feel that it could use more MMO goodies that give me a reason to play past 50. Things that I really enjoyed in my down time were just not as fun to me. I really disliked that in order to craft top gear, I had to raid(Operations). I hated that there wasn't really any way for me to differentiate my goods from anyone else's. I hated that I couldn't even decorate my ship. I couldn't make my home... mine. To me that's why the community is just not there. Sure there are a lot of players, but not the kind of community you see in other MMO's.

Again, I'm not saying it is a failure, or that it is a bad game. far from it. It's an excellent multiplayer RPG. It just feels more like an RPG with some multiplayer capabilities rather than a living breathing persistent world. Perhaps that's a good thing, and they need to just ignore us old MMO players.

As for blaming SWG's demise on Bioware/EA... Not really. But when TOR was first announced, there was all kinds of talk about both being there at the same time. I would have had both installed and would have had active accounts on both. I know many who had similar plans. The official story was that SOE decided not to renew the license. There have since been confirmations that it was due to EA/LA refusing to allow both to exist.

Well, the reason I'm not playing it, is since I refuse to pay $15 a month to have my SP experience that's free in KOTOR1 and KOTOR2 be ruined by MMO stuff.

Maybe if a one-time pay (Guild War) I could tolerate it, but monthly. It's just not good enough for that.

So that makes me happy it goes F2P. I can just play it through for the only good stuff, mostly ignore the MMO stuff, and then when the stories are done forget all about it. Unlike a, say, KOTOR2 which I keep playing due to it's quality.

@ adamq: So... it's EA's fault, not BioWare's as people have said in the past :p

@ Tommy: I get what you're saying, and from the very beginning swtor has been going for the whole shtick where they wanted to try to pull in non-mmo players with their own brand of rpg... which they did pretty successfully with me. Had it been more of a traditional mmo then I probably wouldn't have invested any time or money into it at all.

@ Hassat: As I've said before, completely understandable.

Lynk: I think they did a great job of bringing the RPG to the MMORPG arena, but fell flat in my estimation on the whole MMO part. There wasn't any need to have other people for your leveling. But I gotta admit, I kinda liked that part of it. I just wished there was a more robust crafting system, and after playing SWG, most other crafting systems fall way short. And it's entirely possible that BioWare ruined the MMO market entirely for me(not in a bad way). Honestly after TOR, it'll be hard to play an MMO that is not fully voiced with a story that lasts from noob to top, and that I can play either solo or grouped. I believe that the people who will enjoy it the most are the SPRPG fans who would like to play it with friends.

Scorge: It's free up to level 15. After you get a toon to 15 I believe you'll have to pay.

Level 50. When? Still up to debate.

It's free to lvl 15 now.

And I also find annoying that it hampers my completionist mentality. In RPG's obviously you want to do everything, all sidequests. But doing that in TOR required teaming up with groups, getting hugely overleveled so you need to skip stuff to keep challenged (or not and be bored by opponents too weak to destroy you for 10+ hours). I suppose it gets worse with the bonus quests mentioned. I only know that this was already heavily happening in the first 15 levels I played... :/

That's the drawback of a game type based around social interaction when you're someone who wants to keep to yourself.

Funnily enough though, I end up skipping the heroics and bonus series and end up underleveled (with my alts)... makes things more interesting and challenging which = more fun in my books. This is counter to my usual completionist ways with other games, though when you think about it, if you really want to call yourself a completionist with this game, you'd better be prepared to play every single class/advanced class and go through every bit of dialogue in the game and choose all of the different choices not just doing the missions themselves so it's really pointless to do... EVERYTHING... which means it's not really that bad to skip a few things.

...if that makes sense.

@ adamq: So... it's EA's fault, not BioWare's as people have said in the past :p

I'm not very good at reading intention over the internet, are you insinuating I blamed Bioware, and have now changed my stance, or that people in general did this?

To Clarify both possible answers, EA is Bioware, so yes :D

No, I wasn't saying you specifically did anything, I was just saying that the general mood around the interwebs from those who are most vocal seem to blame BioWare developers for some kind of conspiracy against SWG.

And when I say BioWare, I mean the development team, not the suits :p

...and no one has changed their stance, everyone still blames the development team for... well.. everything. I mean, it's not like they're the ones responsible for the ending of Mass Effect 3, they're just trying to create an accessible Star Wars MMO that I thought would have easily complimented SWG's more core MMO philosophy if it had been allowed to keep living.

Ahh ok :)

To be honest The people who developed TOR are no longer developers for TOR, and a lot of former SWG Devs went on to work on TOR on some level or another.

I get enjoyment from TOR, but it would of been better if I had SWG to fulfill my MMO needs, like you suggested.

...when you think about it, if you really want to call yourself a completionist with this game, you'd better be prepared to play every single class/advanced class and go through every bit of dialogue in the game and choose all of the different choices not just doing the missions themselves so it's really pointless to do... EVERYTHING...

Once it's free to play... I'm SO doing this. I think I might be done right about when I'm 75 years old. I'll skip the Operations and such for after I have completed everything else...

Ahh ok :)

To be honest The people who developed TOR are no longer developers for TOR, and a lot of former SWG Devs went on to work on TOR on some level or another.

I get enjoyment from TOR, but it would of been better if I had SWG to fulfill my MMO needs, like you suggested.

I imagine they all REALLY needed a job and EA was happy to pay them less than their previous job.

Archived