Home

Anyone here a football (soccer) fan?

thejman217

I assume you're an avid American supporter. Do you like Klinsmann? And more importantly, do you like his tactics?

I like Klinsmann. He has good ideas, and has gotten us wins his predecessors would have no chance at. I'm not exactly a fan of some of his tactics, since they don't make sense half the time. For example, I don't know why he keeps using 3 defensive-mids all the time, and the loss against Jamaica was just shameful, since the formation and personnel made no sense.

On the other hand, when his tactics do makes sense, I like them. Case in point: beating Scotland 5-1. :D

For now, I'm just hoping the USA can beat Antigua & Barbuda and Guatemala. I'm more worried about the former, actually, since both left-backs he called up are either injured or have the flu, and two other players had to drop out for injury. And it's an away match. Shame the team isn't as good as Germany, since then I wouldn't have to worry about not qualifying. ;)

I like Klinsmann. He has good ideas, and has gotten us wins his predecessors would have no chance at. I'm not exactly a fan of some of his tactics, since they don't make sense half the time. For example, I don't know why he keeps using 3 defensive-mids all the time, and the loss against Jamaica was just shameful, since the formation and personnel made no sense.

On the other hand, when his tactics do makes sense, I like them. Case in point: beating Scotland 5-1. :D

For now, I'm just hoping the USA can beat Antigua & Barbuda and Guatemala. I'm more worried about the former, actually, since both left-backs he called up are either injured or have the flu, and two other players had to drop out for injury. And it's an away match. Shame the team isn't as good as Germany, since then I wouldn't have to worry about not qualifying. ;)

What formation would you use if you were manager?

What formation would you use if you were manager?

Probably a 4-1-3-2 or a 4-5-1; the former worked pretty well in the USA's most recent win. The latter would give me less of a tactical headache, but on the other hand, the offense might sputter with only one striker.

• 9 months later...

I'm from Greece and so my favorite team is Olympiacos F.C.

My favorite foreign clubs would be Barcelona F.C., Bayern F.C. and Manchester United.

It's alright. I'm no longer mad at Chelsea for winning. I'm angry at our bad luck and Arjen Robben's arrogance (wanting to take the penalty before the penalty shootout even though Schweinsteiger wanted to take it.)

And it's nice to see a true Chelsea fan. Most of the Chelsea fans I know are plastic fans and are fans only since they won the Champion's League or because of Eden Hazard joining Chelsea and how "talented" (good, but overrated) he is. (Bandwagons)

However, while I was born in Germany, I have Bosnian-Herzegovinian origins :). And for our qualifiers, we have the easiest group. The toughest team in our group is Greece! *laughs*

Man, that' not nice. Mocking us...:mad:

Just kidding!:p I would be offended by your last comment... if you hadn't you hit the nail on the head. A few days before Germany's national team beat ours, we had made a commercial using the movie "Downfall". The com showed Hitler raving that Greece would beat Germany.

The worst thing is, our guys actually believed that we would beat you guys.

When I told them to be realistic once, they all started yelling and swearing at me, telling me that I'm an idiot. And when we lost, they said that I was bad luck and that we would have won if I hadn't said anything. Yeah, dream on, idiots...:D

The worst thing is, our guys actually believed that we would beat you guys.

When I told them to be realistic once, they all started yelling and swearing at me, telling me that I'm an idiot. And when we lost, they said that I was bad luck and that we would have won if I hadn't said anything. Yeah, dream on, idiots...:D

That's very optimistic, but who in their right mind would believe you could beat Germany? The only times I've seen them get beaten are when they're having an off-day, and even then, the teams fight tooth and nail for the victory.

My summer right now has been spent watching the Gold Cup, North America's version of the Euros. I have fun watching the USA win, but it's pretty much always a certainty that it will either be them or Mexico who win the competition. That, and I'm waiting to see when Cuba will lose a player to defection. :xp: This current tournament also produced this gem: (This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

That's very optimistic, but who in their right mind would believe you could beat Germany? The only times I've seen them get beaten are when they're having an off-day, and even then, the teams fight tooth and nail for the victory.

My summer right now has been spent watching the Gold Cup, North America's version of the Euros. I have fun watching the USA win, but it's pretty much always a certainty that it will either be them or Mexico who win the competition. That, and I'm waiting to see when Cuba will lose a player to defection. :xp: This current tournament also produced this gem: (This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

1. My point exactly. I knew we wouldn't beat Germany, even if they had bean soup for breakfast. Yet, those guys in my school firmly believed we could make it. OK, everyone's got opinions, and we must respect each other's opinion... even if it's the most stupid thing you could possibly ever hear.

2. HAHAHAHA! This IS an epic fail! Sometimes, football players forget what they have to do with the ball.

Check this out:

And the amateurs are even worse:

We Greeks have everything when it comes to football:

Matches turning into box fights by both the players and the fans when something goes wrong.

Stupid fans who light so many squibs you can't see s#@t and the referee has to stop the game.

Fans that throw anything you can imagine in the stadium, trying to injure and possibly kill a player of the opposite team (Not long ago, a player tried to remove a squib and it exploded in his hand. Fortunately, the guy didn't lose his hand, but he sure as hell was shocked). Snowballs are also popular items to throw in a stadium in winter:

(A fan throws a snowball to a player, provoking a fight.)

Fans that bring AKs to the stadium (it's true, better believe it. When the police did some checking, they found out there were people who had brought AK-47s with them. That was... 3-4 years ago? I think.)

Players trying to humiliate other players the first chance they get :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZ28mFQf_8 (WILL YOU JUST TAKE OFF YOU PANTS, A@#$OLE!)

The worst referees in the world who thing that, if you have made a mistake and one team benefits from it, you must make another mistake so that the other team benefits from that. Meaning, giving penalties or fouls that don't exist, not giving penalties or fouls that are pretty obvious (guy gets kicked in the crotch and the referee gives him a yellow card because "the player is trying to trick him"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGlv2tzVJeo (here a referree gives a foul and even he doesn't know why.)

And of course, the "best" players you could get. Players that always cheat. Of course:

(this player is one of the best deliberate divers in the history of football. Some say he's trying to compete with Michael Phelps. The Michael Phelps sign says: Michael Phelps, Dives in pool in 50.58 sec. The next one says: Giorgos Garagounis-they call him Karavoutas because he always dives like that- World Record in OAKA, Greece, Dives in Stadium for the 50.58th time.)

When it comes to our national team:

(2 "defenders" trying to destroy an "attacker")

Last but not least, it seems that not even our national anthem can prevent hooligans from destroying everything they find in their path (this happened in the Cup final 3 years ago):

To sum up: The only thing we don't have in greek football is football.

So, if you don't want to waste time of your life, don't watch greek football (Although this is something you probably have figured out yourself...)

Now, tell me, with honesty...

Is there something you wouldn't expect from us when it comes to football?

Now, tell me, with honesty...

Is there something you wouldn't expect from us when it comes to football?

What I would not expect is for Greeks to go to a soccer game and *not* riot. :xp: And seriously, AKs? I didn't know you could buy those in Greece. That amateur video seemed more like bad luck to me, though the video before that was a quadruple fail. :p Those refs also remind me of the ones in MLS; they typically make bad calls just for attention.

What I would not expect is for Greeks to go to a soccer game and *not* riot. :xp: And seriously, AKs? I didn't know you could buy those in Greece. That amateur video seemed more like bad luck to me, though the video before that was a quadruple fail. :p Those refs also remind me of the ones in MLS; they typically make bad calls just for attention.

Unfortunately, "riot" is a synonym of soccer game for us. The things are wild inside the stadium, but outside of it... let me tell you this, a few years ago, if you approached a crowd of fans of a certain soccer team, you better choose wisely when they asked what your favorite team was, or you'd end up in hospital... Everytime there is an Olympiacos VS Panathinaikos match (it's like Barcelona VS Real Madrid or Bayern VS Dortmund for us), rocks will be thrown to break the teams' coaches, to break heads, to make trouble for the police... This is moslty done by Olympiacos fans. Of course, I'm an Olympiacos fan too, but not a *stupid* Olympiacos fan.

Also, about the AKs... believe it. Acquiring an AK-47 is one of the easiest things in Greece. 2 days ago, two police officers were caught in a gunfight with two members of a terrorist organisation (something like the "Death Watch" in Greece). The terrorists were carrying AK-47s. We're hunting 5 criminals who escaped from prison a month ago and they have killed a police officer and a woman with what else? AK-47s... All robbers and terrorists or any type of law breakers *must* carry an AK-47 with them. In Crete (BTW, it's where I'm from), you can buy an AK for 2500-3500 euros. Worst thing is, you don't know whether those guns have been already used in a murder or a robbery or not, so if the police catches you with an AK-47 that has also been used in a murder, you're f@#%d. All in all, the AK-47 is one of the most popular weapon in Greece. If you don't believe me, ask around and they'll tell you just what I said here.

Those refs are indeed done for attention, but come on, throwing snoballs at a player? Give me a break...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Crete had about 2 or 3 teams located there. Any reason in particular why you support Olympiacos? :)

Well, in my father's family, everyone supported Panathinaikos. His parents and his brothers all supported P, but he was the only one who supported Olympiacos. He supports O. till today. And my mother also likes Olympiacos. So, what would you expect when both your parents support this team? I'm not saying that I don't support Crete's teams (btw, they are very good, a team that just got in Super League almost made it to the finals of the Greek Cup tournament and beat Panathinaikos in both games they played). It's just that, O. is a team-for-life and it's impossible to leave when you're intoduced to that team.

That would be the 1st (and foremost) reason. The second would be that Olympiacos always wins in Greece. Unfortunately, that's not because we're good, but because the others are worthless (and that's why we can't do anything at all in European matches). 5 or 6 years ago, the matches were much more exciting. The Cup tournament finals were breathtaking. Now, we can win the cup with our eyes shut. Now we won the Super League (the Greek championship) while we were 25 points ahead of the second team, (which wasn't P). Of course, the economic crisis has affected much in Greek football. Panathinaikos has serious financial problems, so they have created a club in which all fans contribute to help the team. Another legendary team, A.E.K., has already gone bankrupt. The players hadn't been paid for more than 6 months, and they couldn't win a single match. At their last game, they had to win to stay in the Super League and not be downgraded. When they conceided 2 goals, their fans started smashing everything in their stadium, swearing and hunting the players. The team was downgraded and technically went bankrupt. They will now play in the 3rd class championship, with amateur teams. The only team that still manages to avoid financial issues is O.

But why do you bother asking about a team that has no international interest whatsoever?

Archived