Home

Felix Baumgartner sets new records by successfully skydiving from 24 miles high

thejman217

"Felix Baumgartner stepped out of the space capsule an astonishing 24 miles above earth, or about three times the cruising altitude of jetliners. The skydiver plummeted for 4:22 seconds, but it seemed an eternity, because his faceplate was fogging up on the way down as he fell through harsh atmospheric conditions at a dizzying speed."

"Baumgartner's long-anticipated leap Sunday, from the edge of space at an altitude of 128,000 feet, was the Austrian daredevil's attempt at breaking several records, most notably the highest successful jump and becoming the only skydiver to break the sound barrier."

"He also broke the record for the highest manned balloon flight, unofficially reaching a height just shy of 25 miles. He did so in a balloon that's the largest ever manned."

Source:

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/35850/felix+baumgartner+sets+new+records+by+successfully+skydiving+from+24+miles+high/

Wow. That's all I have to say. I can't express myself in words regarding this stupendous feat.

Thoughts?

Burn up is all about friction, which in turn is about speed. He wasn't high up enough or going anywhere near fast enough to generate sufficient friction and thus heat. He was only in the top third of the stratosphere. That's barely off the ground as far as space flight and the hazards of re-entry go.

Thanks.

Burn up is all about friction, which in turn is about speed. He wasn't high up enough or going anywhere near fast enough to generate sufficient friction and thus heat. He was only in the top third of the stratosphere. That's barely off the ground as far as space flight and the hazards of re-entry go.

Speaking of which, here's a handy pic to illustrate what you said...

atmosphere.gif

Archived