Home

Thoughts on owning eBooks/eReaders

swphreak

So I've been looking at Kindles and flip-flopping on whether to spend my store credit on that new Kindle Paperwhite. If I didn't have the store credit I woudn't even be thinking about it.

The main reason why I dislike ebooks and really haven't thought about a kindle is the terms and conditions you have to agree to. The way I interpret the fine print, Amazon (or the book publisher) can give you the finger and tell you to screw off while they delete your books without compensating you in any way. It's what you agree to when you purchase an ebook. If they tried that with my physical books, that would be theft, and I'd punch them in the face.

Of course, that's an extreme, and unlikely scenario, but the thought that it's possible (and has happened before) does not endear me to the kindle and ebooks in general.

And don't get me started on the pricing. There's no sane reason an ebook should cost more than a paperback.

I'm thinking I'll wait a couple more years to see what happens. Who knows, maybe ebooks will become DRM free like mp3s are leaning towards.

Wow, I sound like a curmudgeonly old coot when it comes to my books.

/end rambling

Who here owns an eReader or purchases eBooks? What are your thoughts? Has your eperience been positive or negative?

I share the same concerns you do. But instead of being against Amazon and ebooks, it's against Steam and games. Nowadays I don't buy anything that's dependable of - or tied to - a third party server.

See that's messed up. I've got a pretty large library of games on Steam, but I'm not all hung up on that. There's no logical reason for me to be okay with Steam and be so paranoid about Amazon.

License agreements, Terms of Use, etc. have always bothered me. I always figured that when you have purchased the product, then you should be able to do whatever you want with it because you own it (excluding copying the device to make another and then get sued for copying, but that's what the patent system is for).

I own the Barnes and Noble Nook and absolutely love it. I'm definitely one of the people who prefers the feeling of a book in my hand, but I would definitely recommend an e-reader to anyone who does a lot of reading (or a little!).

Once you download a book, it's in your library - you don't need to be connected to anything. It's your book. Also it has great connectivity with the Nook app, i.e. iPhone and Computer. I can pick up on my e-reader, put it down, and pick up my place on my laptop. Its really great since a couple of people in my family like to use it, so when I'm away I just use my laptop.

But yeah, the pricing is a little weird in some places, though in my experiences with B&N they have all been cheaper as e-books. Some book publishers actually just lose a case with Amazon over e-book price inflation and Amazon claims that anyone who has bought e-books prior to the court decision is entitled to the difference via refund (a few bucks per book).

See that's messed up. I've got a pretty large library of games on Steam, but I'm not all hung up on that. There's no logical reason for me to be okay with Steam and be so paranoid about Amazon.

As a consumer, I want to decide how, where and when to use the product I bought. Buying from Steam is like a long time rental, and I don't rent games.

But honestly, I always thought that ebooks were not dependable of Amazon servers. Once you download it, you could open and read it whenever you want, with or without an internet connection. Then again, I never bought one either, so I don't know.

I have a Kindle Fire and a Kindle 3. The Kindle 3 I've filled with a huge amount of public-domain books, and those won't ever be taken away as I got a lot of them from Project Gutenberg. Quite honestly it's a great purchase if you're interested in reading classical literature. I'd often use the audioread feature on the bus, and the screen is great. I was skeptical of the lack of physicality when I got it as well, but it turned out I didn't care much after being able to have 40 books I can flip through easily. Note, that it won't be a conversation piece though... part of the reason I keep a few actual books in my backpack as well.

The Kindle Fire does have a nice reading app but I rarely use it for reading since it's much worse to read on than the e-ink displays. It's a Netflix/internet device only.

As an owner of a library of books, who has had to move upstairs to the third floor, I would say ereaders are wonderful. Unless you have a large home with a room you can dedicate to just books, ereaders are the way to go. If you have to move(ever) you will be much happier moving a thousand books on an ereader than in a series of boxes(my back still hurts just thinking of it).

So I've been looking at Kindles and flip-flopping on whether to spend my store credit on that new Kindle Paperwhite. If I didn't have the store credit I woudn't even be thinking about it.

You could just buy a book on a subject you are curious about, or you already like. If that evokes a more positive response as opposed to indifference, go with that.

Otherwise as with anything else try it out and if you don't like it or you get burned, hey, it isn't like buying this would be a total waste. Just gift it to someone so ya don't have to spend more $$$. Give your blessings and best wishes of luck on top of that--may they have better luck than you not getting screwed over.

The main reason why I dislike ebooks and really haven't thought about a kindle is the terms and conditions you have to agree to. The way I interpret the fine print, Amazon (or the book publisher) can give you the finger and tell you to screw off while they delete your books without compensating you in any way. It's what you agree to when you purchase an ebook.
I know that feel. Same reasoning here. Except I am not as reasonable as some so I won't really be convinced to change my ways. It isn't like not having ebooks and ereaders is bad for my health afterall, is it? No.

If they tried that with my physical books, that would be theft, and I'd punch them in the face.

Can I watch? :dev9:

Of course, that's an extreme, and unlikely scenario, but the thought that it's possible (and has happened before) does not endear me to the kindle and ebooks in general.

Is it a deterrent enough for you to lose sleep? Probably not until after it's happened. I'd say keep hard copies of all the really important stuff and the not-so-serious you could enjoy.

Just, if you DO get off into it, don't invest a serious amount into it. Hell, what you ought to do is buy electronic copies of important relevant stuff you have for both archive an convenience. That way you don't lose anything if they decide to F*** you over.

Same sort of thing about Steam. For the time being I'd trust Steam sooner than Origin for sure. If I can own it physically, though, I'd sooner opt for that. Or if you could replicate it onto some form of medium (I.E. a drive or other) then that's cool with me.

This coming from a guy who plays maple story, and ninja saga. :roleyess:

Long and short, if you're leaning towards it more than away from, make a modest investment if only for curiosity sake. Keep in lean so your losses are down in wcs.

I buy plans form information unlimited from time to time, and you can get them cheaper if you just download them. Once you have it downloaded...if you lose it or delete it that's your problem... But I always make a paper copy at least once when I get them. I mean, $8.00 beats $20.00 if all they do is print out their digital copy and mail it to you.

And don't get me started on the pricing. There's no sane reason an ebook should cost more than a paperback.
I totally agree with you. Why don't we chat more often?

I'm thinking I'll wait a couple more years to see what happens.
Always a smart strategy. :thmbup1: I wait till games hit the $20 mark before deciding whether or not to get them. If I'm still chomping at the bit for a particular title by then, I buy it. Otherwise it probably isn't worth having.

Who knows, maybe ebooks will become DRM free like mp3s are leaning towards.

Wow, I sound like a curmudgeonly old coot when it comes to my books.

No you're not quite there, cuz you're at least open to the idea.

The thing with me is I just like to have the physical book in my hands. I like to turn the pages, feel the paper, things like that. Now e-readers in the longterm would be cheaper especially if you're gunna be buying textbooks and things like that. A typical paperback costs 7 to 10 dollars I've seen ebooks as cheap as 50 cents. I think its all down to personal preference though. I have a couple of friends who have kindles and like to have all their books stored and organized in one place. My bookshelf is pretty organized but I'm running out of space fast haha.

The thing with me is I just like to have the physical book in my hands. I like to turn the pages, feel the paper, things like that. Now e-readers in the longterm would be cheaper especially if you're gunna be buying textbooks and things like that. A typical paperback costs 7 to 10 dollars I've seen ebooks as cheap as 50 cents. I think its all down to personal preference though. I have a couple of friends who have kindles and like to have all their books stored and organized in one place. My bookshelf is pretty organized but I'm running out of space fast haha.

Like you said, I like to experience the actual physicality of the book in my hands (I'm a pleasure reader).

I tried reading on a Kindle before, and it just didn't cut it.

I use my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to read books... I'm not really attached to the whole "book feel" a lot of people are since the majority of my reading is done looking at a computer screen any way.

Also, I can't stand books, especially reference ones because I always have the urge to Ctrl+F

*points* you know what I'm talking about.

Well, I for one spend too much time looking at a screen, so any chance to avoid it is welcome. So I prefer printed books, magazines, whatever, unless the digital version is free.

Same. Much of my homework that my teachers assign me is an online document that I am required to read. Since I wear glasses, my eyes start to hurt after rather long periods of time of staring blankly at my computer screen (can't read w/o glasses because I am nearsighted and desktop screen on monitor is pretty far considering how bad my eyesight is).

If I am assigned something to read online, then I only read it online if all other methods to get my hands on the actual book fails. I am very happy when I am assigned an actual book to read from. It makes it much easier.

I personally have no use for e-readers or e-books, though I think I have an e-textbook for an upcoming class and its very cheap which is helpful, but other than the reduced price which I don't know if thats consistent with other e-books but like I said I have no use for them, I'd just as soon read a normal book, though I don't do a lot of reading which is probably also part of it.

Archived