Home

New Insecticide?

lebo47

Hey, Larry Ahern and I have been tossing the idea around of a new Insecticide game, this time losing the action and making it more of a pure adventure game.

Curious how many people would be into this? Should we join the trend and do a Kickstarter?? Or can everyone just mail us bags of cash so we don't have to give KS 1/3 of the money?! :xp:

Anyway, we really want to bring Chrys and Roachy back to life ... their's was kind of cut short, and they have a lot of bugs left to squash!!

Would people like to see this happen? If so let us know!

thanks,

Mike

The Insecticide world was interesting, and the character design was great, so I would definitely like to be able to visit that would again. The best part about Insecticide Part I (I never played the Nintendo DS version) was the adventure sections, so it would definitely be great to see an Insecticide game with just the adventure parts.

I'd definitely back it on Kickstarter, but I personally have kickstarter fatigue right now. I don't have any money to back anything else. If you do go the kickstarter route, I'd recommend waiting a while for fans to get back on their feet financially.

Insecticide is one of the most underrated games of the past decade. I always thought it would be much more popular if it were a pure adventure game, because the most interesting was the adventure part. Great story, interesting world, likeable characters, witty and funny dialogues, brilliant cutscenes, noiry atmosphere - that was the essence of Insecticide.

In other words - I'm definitely interested. :)

BTW, it's funny that I registered on this forum 10 YEARS AGO (even earlier than You, lebo47 ;)) and this is my first post. That's how much I want a new Insecticide.

I've been wondering if Chrys would get a second chance at life via Kickstarter. You guys have created a beautiful, intriguing, and overall incredibly unique world, and I'd be overjoyed to visit it again. You put this on Kickstarter, you've got yourselves a Backer.

I wouldnt be able to get into the franchise until I could play part 2 of the first game on pc... Part 1 of the first game is on steam, but part 2 never made it to pc (ds only) . so I wouldnt be able to hop into a new game of theirs until first being able to finish the first one completely on pc

Id say before starting something new, finish what was already started!

I'd love to get some more Insecticide in any shape or form (though adventure game is definitely the best). That said, I seem to be one of the few people that really enjoyed the action segments (the weapons, atmosphere, pacing, enemy chatter). And the dynamics of switching between the action and investigative segments.

@p1r473 Part 2 was blocked by the publisher and Crackpot can't do anything to release it. A complete version exists for the DS platform and the PC quality cutscenes are available on YT.

I posted this at Telltale's forums, but I'll cross-post this over here, as this is where Mike and Larry are looking at the responses:

On the subject of whether Insecticide would carry enough weight to carry a Kickstarter, Larry Ahern might be enough of a pull for adventure game veterans, as he was the co-project leader of The Curse of Monkey Island (and Mike Levine is a LucasArts veteran). That, and the character designs and backgrounds have a very Grim Fandango/Psychonauts feel to them.

The fact that it's a pure adventure game might lure people out that passed on the first Insecticide too. The kickstarter video will definitely be the main selling point on this. Hopefully the goal amount won't be too high though, they should definitely aim for the amount that Double Fine Adventure was initially looking for, and not aim for Leisure Suit Larry/SpaceVenture/Tex Murphy goals, since I think you are right that they probably won't get the funding that those games did.

It certainly will help that they won't be tarnished by the embarrassing antics of Gamecock this time around. Every time an article was published when Gamecock execs stole the stage during an award, or something equally as immature, it seems Insecticide was always mentioned alongside it, despite Gamecock only being the publishers of the game. That really couldn't have helped sales.

I realize the game was blocked by a publisher, but I dont own a DS, so I just wouldnt be able to walk into a franchise without experiencing everything it first has to offer. Its playing playing monkey island 1 and 2 but not playing 3 and 4. Arent you curious to see what else happened in the series?

Anyways thats just me. I dont like to walk into something without playing the originals

Adventure game would be sweet! With hand drawn backgrounds like Insecticide's concept art. I found them very Full Throttle-ish, Grim Fandang-ish. Love them.

A Grim Fandango 3d style of game would be nice too! With nice rendered backgrounds, and 3d characters. But not more than that, keep it classic. Didn't like Sam n' Max 3d animations, clumsy and un-flowing.

I would like a new one, but I'm sad the game was only finished on the DS. Won't this be confusing for those who did not play the DS title?

That said I didn't mind the action parts! Had they been tighter and more inventive I would have loved it more. I guess most people didn't like the separated action and adventure parts, but I certainly had fun with them.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice...go full Adventure and never look back. Insecticide was good, but the shooting aspects got annoying at times. I've found from experience that when a game tries to be too many things at once it generally doesn't turn out well.

The great part about trying lots of things is that you find out what works, and you guys have certainly done that. Take those adventure and story moments and run with it!

• 3 years later...

Hi. Is this forum still active?

Yes, I would definitely want a new Insecticide game! I agree that it should focus more on the Adventure aspect than on Action. Perhaps a modern point-n-click like Broken Age or Telltale's Walking Dead series.

Using Kickstarter is an excellent idea. I will most likely pledge it on day 1.

You all are inspiring! I am sorry I missed all these posts first off, I just got alerted to one somehow and saw all the rest! Thanks!

Since people were talking about the art, fyi a lot of it was designed by Peter Chan (who did Psychonauts and every other game Tim has made!) so there you go.:p

I will spare you the long story ... but we DID want to make this ALL ADVENTURE. (I swear, I swear) but ... we were ahead of our time I guess. The pub basically forced us to add in the action elements. Adventure games were a dirty word back then. It was all we could do to get what we got in there.

BOTTOM LINE ... if we do it again ... ALL ADVENTURE ... totally. We would have action, but it would be TT style action moments. It all seems so simple now, in retrospect. :xp:

I am working on a secret Kickstarter project now (its not an adventure game, but you might like it if you like SW and Phil Tippett!) ... after that, maybe Insecticide Part2?!

Any feedback is great and Larry and I appreciate it a lot

Mike

You all are inspiring! I am sorry I missed all these posts first off, I just got alerted to one somehow and saw all the rest! Thanks!

Since people were talking about the art, fyi a lot of it was designed by Peter Chan (who did Psychonauts and every other game Tim has made!) so there you go.:p

I will spare you the long story ... but we DID want to make this ALL ADVENTURE. (I swear, I swear) but ... we were ahead of our time I guess. The pub basically forced us to add in the action elements. Adventure games were a dirty word back then. It was all we could do to get what we got in there.

BOTTOM LINE ... if we do it again ... ALL ADVENTURE ... totally. We would have action, but it would be TT style action moments. It all seems so simple now, in retrospect. :xp:

I am working on a secret Kickstarter project now (its not an adventure game, but you might like it if you like SW and Phil Tippett!) ... after that, maybe Insecticide Part2?!

Any feedback is great and Larry and I appreciate it a lot

Mike

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Yes, Adventure games was dead at one point but it's recently making a comeback with latest games from Double Fine, TellTale and more. And yes, Peter Chan is the man!

I was playing Insecticide on both DS and PC yesterday and obviously, the latter is the better version although I would love to see a 3DS remastered version one day (like what Renegade Kid did with Dementium). But first, we need Part 2...pronto! :thmbup1:

• 2 months later...

HELL YEAH!!!

Regarding suggestions: well, the original Insecticide makes use of some sci-fi elements, so perhaps this time you could employ something mystical, with Lovecraftian vibe (this would very well fit in with noir atmosphere)? Maybe with some reference to Freaky Stories (after all, its main characters were a maggot and a cockroach)?

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Archived