Home

is KOTOR still worth modding ?

Master_Ka

Hello, as the title says, I was wondering if KOTOR games are still worth modding, I mean, I'm a fan of these games, but given the state of the game technology today, and the fact that I'm new to modding,

Would it be worth it that I start with KOTOR ?

I know a bit of programming in C, and some web-oriented languages ( I'm a web developer), and I always wanted to make a story in the Old Republic Era.

Thank you for your answers :)

It really depends on whether you enjoy modding or not. There are still a good amount of active modders around and new ones are turning up fairly regularly.

Personally, I still enjoy modding, so i'd say it is worth it.

Just go with what you think. :)

I agree with this wholeheartedly, I don't know if I'd start modding the game the same way I did when it first came out, but all this time has given me a great deal of experience that is shaping my career today, and I have no regrets. The great thing about modding KotOR and TSL is that as time goes on our ability to make different kinds of mods increases, and the quality possible also increases. When I started modding, new lightsaber hilts weren't even possible to make (or at least more difficult than it is now) and now we can make new modules! Considering there was no support for mods offered by the developers of KotOR, the fan community had made the whole thing possible and continues to innovate the abilities we have to mod the game.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, I don't know if I'd start modding the game the same way I did when it first came out, but all this time has given me a great deal of experience that is shaping my career today, and I have no regrets.

Seconded. Modding these games got me into computer graphics and 3D design/animation, where I hope to work in a studio one day.

Definitely give modding a shot. It's fun!

As someone who was in the modding community here when it first started, I'm amazed with both how far things have come, and how vibrant it still is. Also, many of the aspects of modding KOTOR are simpler than some of the games today. As someone who has done a lot of texture mods for KOTOR and TSL, and now working with Skyrim, KOTOR os much easier. It really is a good stepping stone for getting familiar with modding in general.

Plus, the KOTOR is an awesome game that a lot of people still play.

I think Kotor will always be worth modding, just like Jedi Knight, after all it's Star Wars. That alone probably get's a modder's attention.

So no matter how old it is and at some point in time modders everywhere, who haven't done so, will want to at least try their modding skills on Kotor.

It's always there waiting, enticing them, mentally torturing them, calling their name like a siren from a distance, Come on, mod me, you know you want to.

:drool2:.............

It's always there waiting, enticing them, mentally torturing them, calling their name like a siren from a distance, Come on, mod me, you know you want to.

I've had times where I NEED to either quit the game to fix something(be it with my own work or not). Or I'll go through the game going "Hmm...I know what I can do with that..." or "...you know what I can change on that...".

It actually sucks when you do some thing like an area reskin, and you want to just play the game. But then you spot one thing wrong, and you have to do something about it.

I've had times where I NEED to either quit the game to fix something(be it with my own work or not). Or I'll go through the game going "Hmm...I know what I can do with that..." or "...you know what I can change on that...".

It actually sucks when you do some thing like an area reskin, and you want to just play the game. But then you spot one thing wrong, and you have to do something about it.

Exactly. That's what happens when you get into modding games. There is always something in a moddable game like Kotor, that seems to tempt you to mod something in it. You could be playing the game just for nostalgia reasons for the umpteenth time, but then you come across something that catches your modding radar when you've gotten to a certain point in the game. And it's either something that triggers a new idea for a mod, or we think it's something that could be fixed and done a lot better. :D

I guess it's just because modding games like Kotor can be addictive at times. Because the potential modding capabilities seems endless, as time goes on.

Archived