Home

Mass Effect 4

Red Hessian

Probably for the best that Shepard won't be in it, regardless of what happens in the game itself.

Agreed, though I'm taking a neutral stance (like with Dragon Age III) until more info is revealed.

Though I do think most everyone in the world is going to hate it because either A) they truly were dissatisfied with the ending for 3, vanilla or extended, or B) bandwagoners.

Seeing as we'll undoubtedly be stuck playing a Human again, I would think the only options are some sort of prequel (probably set in the First Contact War), or something set hundreds of years after the events of ME1-3. The first option is probably too constrained, so the latter is the likely option. In which event, I would think Liara would make at least a cameo appearance, Asari living 1000 years as they do.

Seeing as we'll undoubtedly be stuck playing a Human again, I would think the only options are some sort of prequel (probably set in the First Contact War), or something set hundreds of years after the events of ME1-3. The first option is probably too constrained, so the latter is the likely option. In which event, I would think Liara would make at least a cameo appearance, Asari living 1000 years as they do.

Technically speaking, Liara could potentially have died during Mass Effect 3. Really, being locked in as human is something BioWare has been doing since KOTOR. Did people complain then too?

Did people complain then too?

Yes...but now people complain about everything... and bioware could open it up to many different species and people would complain because they left out elcor and hanar. Me...I'll just keep complaining there is no Jade Empire 2. :xp:

Yes...but now people complain about everything... and bioware could open it up to many different species and people would complain because they left out elcor and hanar. Me...I'll just keep complaining there is no Jade Empire 2. :xp:

I'm pretty sure people would complain even if BioWare made a new IP without any intelligent races other than humans.

I'm prolly not gonna get this, I know it's time to move past the endings but it really just ruined my ME experience for me.

However, my outlook into this is that it's going to be a different kind of game, prolly not a complete RPG. (Yeah, I know defies ME). I'm thinking that Bioware may convert this into a total 3rd-person shooter/action game. Why? There's not much premises to go on beyond the ME3 endings solely due to the fact that the story is over, and the galaxy is unified (mostly). This probably will be a prequel, most likely during First Contact War.

If this would be the case, I would certainly be interested, perhaps even if they added us into playing as Anderson during the war.

• 2 weeks later...

i think u can rest shepard for now...the could just give the option to edit your characters full name then people could have there own unofficial shepards.

Hope they make 3 more games starting with ME4 after which there probably replace the old redundant with a ME..MMO

Well, if they're smart, they'll learn from their mistake w/ME 1-3 and won't overemphasize the degree to which your decisions will (not) have on the unfolding of the new story. :xp: Frankly, the main problem with the endings isn't that some/all don't make any sense, but rather that they failed to satisfy many peoples' expectations about just what impact their decisions actually made on the finale. The original ending left too many questions about the aftermath, some of which were handled by the EC. All in all, though, the real lesson from this controversy ought to be to just release the damn game "when it's done" and not according to some grand marketing plan. That and quit making people pay for DLC that should have been in the game in the first place (yeah, not holding my breath on that one).

I'd be so incredibly stoked for this game if it was on the premise that every one of the fleets have crashed to Earth and everyone's fighting for survival.

Sid Meier's Mass Effect 4?

If it's going to be set in the mass effect universe people are familiar with it'll have to take place just before the Reaper storyline started, since there isn't much left afterward in most endings, and they'd have to make one ending canon (since the fate of the whole galaxy differs significantly enough between endings) which would piss off even more people.

Still if they do Wrex could probably show up as well since Krogan seems to have as long lifespans as asari do (unless they get killed first). :)

Considering the endings for ME3, (without spoiling) It would be rather strange for shepard to be in it. Unless they go with the fan created ideas.

Unless it's a zombie apocalypse game and you play as a reanimated undead Shepard. :p

they'd have to make one ending canon (since the fate of the whole galaxy differs significantly enough between endings) which would piss off even more people.
Bioware have demonstrated on a number of occasions that they aren't averse to doing that. I read a post by Gaider the other day which essentially said "screw the fans - our vision comes first" when discussing this issue (albeit regarding the DA franchise).

I still think something set after the current series is the most likely, so I'd be expecting either an outright canonical choice, or some sort sort of "blend" of all three a la Deus Ex 2. Which actually makes a lot of sense, seeing as they pretty much stole the ME3 endings outright from DX1 anyway.

While the ending-blend was one of Deus Ex 2's many interesting design experiments, I can't say I liked it. It just ended up alienating JC Denton from the one I knew, because apparently he supported the two other visions that I didn't.

It was also unfair for the players, because it magically brings out a 'fourth' way of combining all the endings, that wasn't available in the actual game. All in all, it alienates and frustrates while only serving to make matters convenient for the designers.

I'd rather a good story starting off a canon ending. I do agree with BioWare's stance on these things - their vision comes first. It's their story, and they don't have to please the fans just for the sentiment.

Archived