Home

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

Astor

Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad

• Good
    • Let's wait and see
    • Bad
    • Yoda

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In movie terms, 2015 is pretty damn close; I'd expect this stuff to be figured out fairly soon.

If they're not already in the writing process then they should be, if not I expect the projected release date to be pushed back another year.

I saw this story posted on Facebook, and of course there's a long thread here about it :p

I'm excited, I'd love to see another trilogy and without Lucas' wooden prequel dialog we may actually get some solid movies out of this deal. Also curious about the games aspect of it, will we see more LucasArts games too?

Obviously there is loads of written material covering the era after the first trilogy ended, so I'm looking forward to seeing what exactly the story turns out to be, and if they decide to adapt book stories to film.

Nothing bad happened to Marvel after Disney took over, quite the opposite in fact.

And unlike Lucas-controlled Lucasfilm, Marvel still had some redeeming features beforehand.

It might not improve, but it certainly won't sink lower, since you can't when you're already at rock bottom.

Edit: On a side note, I take great comfort in the fact that whenever I take a long hiatus, even if it's for years as it has been in the past, many of the same faces are still around here.

I just hope that Episode 7 doesn't turn out to be an adaptation of one of the books.

I more or less agree with this. It should be unique and original - even if it borrows a few things from EU, it should be its own story. I feel like if it's based on novel that's since been released then we've more or less already seen it.

^

Unless they are really, REALLY industrious and plan on rewriting EVERYTHING from scratch I don't think Disney will throw everything out the window when they have so much to work with already. I can definitely see them tweaking some things here and there which will most likely upset some, but I can't see them writing off everything in favor of new material -- if anything they will just build upon it and emphasis the Disney-Original SW stuff.

Wow, that was completely unexpected. I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been some sort of inkling of this deal before now. You generally don't arrange 4 billion dollar takeovers in an afternoon I wouldn't have thought.

I'm torn over what this may mean. On the one hand, having the franchise taken away from Lucas can surely only be a good thing. On the other, the idea of Episode VII and an endless stream of further sequels kind of makes my stomach turn.

Well, as someone else said earlier, let's hope they release a de-bastardised version of the OT on Blu-Ray at least.

Uncle George has been destructive in some ways. The new person heading up lucasfilm has a track record generally for better, more than worse. Still I'm meh on this personally, because these sorts of things are always catch 22.

I tend to assume it's been totally sold out, but hope it will see ever greater success in ways most of us can like.

Well it's just stuff that somebody makes up

That has a canon committee that painstakingly scrutinizes and researches all EU. This new move potentially means the new stuff could take a big dump on all of it.

To each, his own :)

Hey, maybe you and I don't have attachments to some EU material in question/jeopardy, but others do. You can only improve so much upon something by butchering.

Wow. There was nothing that clued me in to George Lucas being willing to relinquish control of Star Wars. I guess I missed the 4 billion plus reasons to do so.

My take on today's momentous announcement:

• Be prepared for lots of Star Wars movies. At least 4 more for sure. Disney needs to make back its $4 billion dollars and then some.

• Expect plenty of retcons and general disregard for Star Wars continuity especially where the EU is concerned. This may not be all bad though. As with most things the relative merits of continuity breaks depend greatly on one's point of view.

• Star Wars games and LucasArts don't gain any immediate benefit from this deal. Disney Interactive has performed miserably for quite some time so it's not like Disney has the chops to show LucasArts how game development is done.
    The big emphasis during Disney’s conference call discussing its acquisition of Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion was, not surprisingly, the enormous earnings potential of the Star Wars franchise. And that includes gaming — so one of the analysts asked for more details about Disney’s interactive strategy.

CEO Bob Iger responded that the company is “likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console.” However, he added that Disney will look at console games “opportunistically,” using licensing deals to allow other companies to create Star Wars games for cosnoles.
    Source: TechCrunch
    I know my first reaction to this news was that Star Wars: The Old Republic is toast. I'm sure many of you are fine with that but I need another 6 months or so :D. So yeah, it doesn't look like the future of LucasArts and serious Star Wars gaming is substantially improved. I feel confident this deal is the reason why a new LucasArts president was not selected after the last president, Paul Meegan, left and was quite possibly the reason he did leave. And I interpret Bob Iger's response to the gaming factor of this acquisition to mean that Star Wars gaming wasn't much of a consideration. Disney is all about the moviemaking and merchandising potential. Alas, I fear Star Wars games will continue to languish for some time after Disney closes this deal. The only saving grace is the possibility of an independent developer pitching Disney a SW game that Disney likes and is willing to fund development of.

I know my first reaction to this news was that Star Wars: The Old Republic is toast.
Unlikely, at least in the short term. EA will certainly have signed a multi-year licensing deal with LA/LF, which I would expect to still be legally binding under the Disney buyout. I think it is far more likely for EA to pull the pin than Disney.

Far more troubling is the focus on mobile/social games. Seems like there's even less chance now for a revival of the classics like the X-Wing and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series.

• Star Wars games and LucasArts don't gain any immediate benefit from this deal. Disney Interactive has performed miserably for quite some time so it's not like Disney has the chops to show LucasArts how game development is done.
    The big emphasis during Disney’s conference call discussing its acquisition of Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion was, not surprisingly, the enormous earnings potential of the Star Wars franchise. And that includes gaming — so one of the analysts asked for more details about Disney’s interactive strategy.

CEO Bob Iger responded that the company is “likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console.” However, he added that Disney will look at console games “opportunistically,” using licensing deals to allow other companies to create Star Wars games for cosnoles.

Well, at least on the licensing department I'd say Disney Interactive is doing quite well. Look at Kingdom Hearts: their biggest financial (and, possibly, critic) success, possible only through licensing Disney material to Square Enix. And this is not a new process, since Disney has been licensing their IPs to more experienced developers since the 8 bits Era.

On the downside, I must again refer to Kingdom Hearts: it has been running for almost 10 years now, with numerous spin-offs, and there's no end in sight. Cash milking, but then again we don't want Star Wars game to meet their end anyway.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear this is the first sign of the Mayan 2012 Apocalypse.

The Mayans saw it in the Stars :p

I have been debating whether or not I care if EU is all retconned, and I have come to the conclusion that I don't mind. I can reason out what I want to be true myself. I'm all for another good Star Wars movie. Hope they can pull it off.

Archived