Home

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

Astor

Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad

• Good
    • Let's wait and see
    • Bad
    • Yoda

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its as if a million EU fans cried out and were suddenly silenced...

Seriously! :lol:

I'm with you, Q.

That is actually one benefit I'm hoping to get out of this whole thing.

I also agree with this, the EU is a bit huge and stagnant IMO.

Upon first hearing this news, I was not only absolutely stunned, but I felt as if I'd never love Star Wars again. All I could imagined was musical numbers and anthropomorphised animals running rampant for 80 minutes. No thank you.

Having had time to digest the information, however, I'm actually quite optimistic about things. All I had to do was look to what they've done with Marvel in the last few years - not only did they make one hell of a story with the Avengers movie and those leading up to it, but they also saved Spider-Man - one of my favourite super-heroes going all the way back to grade school - from the clutches of Sam Raimi and the blubbering asshats billed as lead actors in his trilogy. I think Disney taking the reins from Lucas could be a very good thing if handled properly.

But honestly, certain sacrifices will have to be made in order to produce something truly spectacular. As unpopular an opinion as it it may be, I say to hell with the existing canon. Let it be, don't try to mess with it, add to it, or sort it out in any way. There's so many different versions and takes on canon from the EU, and there's even a mess of stuff that was ret-conned by the PT, all of which could really make a mess of things. Star Wars canon is screwed up enough as it is without a brand new pair of hands in there. They should start with a clean, blank slate that will leave them room to go where they want, not where existing canon forces them to go.

Now, I'm not talking anything as extreme as a full reboot. But I do think that there needs to be a massive shift in focus if anything properly exciting or innovative is to be done without leaning too heavily on what already exists. A brand new trilogy, with new characters in an period untouched by the massive EU that exists today, is where any smart production team should take the franchise, IMHO.

All I had to do was look to what they've done with Marvel in the last few years - not only did they make one hell of a story with the Avengers movie and those leading up to it,

They've only distributed The Avengers, and I'm not sure the story is its strongest point.

but they also saved Spider-Man - one of my favourite super-heroes going all the way back to grade school - from the clutches of Sam Raimi and the blubbering asshats billed as lead actors in his trilogy.

Spider-Man is under Sony, not Disney.

No NJO schlock. Ever.

May it be retconned out of existence. :carms:

I wouldn't have agreed before reading that, but now...

The freaking Vong, Joss? :disaprove

Meh, if anyone can turn mediocre-to-bad canon into good (or passable) canon, then it's Whedon, especially if it's the NJO. Legacy of the Force is the one that I want to forget; that is absolutely hopeless.

Luke could be played by Hamill's son Nathan. Probably a tad old now, but it would be a nice tie back to the originals. And, unlike his old man, he actually likes Star Wars.

Holy crap you're right he could! He looks so much like his dad it's freaky :thmbup1:

And, unlike his old man, he actually likes Star Wars.

Since when Mark Hamill said that he didn't like Star Wars? The only "bad" thing I heard from him regarding Star Wars was something along the lines of "I like ice cream too, but I don't eat it four times a day."

Yeah, please ignore canon.

I have no idea why SW-people adore canon so much as to even tell people not to play KOTOR2 as male or KOTOR1 as female. Seriously, what the ****?

I only think this can make things better, as present LA and LF aren't exacly "good", so maybe this give them the much needed chance to improve...

I have no idea why SW-people adore canon so much as to even tell people not to play KOTOR2 as male or KOTOR1 as female. Seriously, what the ****?

:rofl:

I still get people telling me off on my YouTube videos every now-and-then for playing the games wrong. Then I tell them off for having such a narrow mind and do it in such a way so they're offended by my response. I continue to play with them for a bit by provoking them where they really defend their view and then I really insult their narrow view and how the KOTOR are role playing games and how I should be able to make whatever choices I want to make and insult them really badly and block them from being able to respond just at the right point where they are really frustrated with me. Fun stuff! :D

At first my reaction was that this is gonna be horrible, but after thinking about it a while, this may not be too bad.

Why? After the yuzhaan vong war, everything EU sucked ass after that. I don't even care for the legacy comics.

This may be good, because I would say to hell with canon after Yuuzhan vong war, the whole set up of EU post that era is just horrid.

However, if Disney does plan on messing with the Kotor Era, I ask that they tread lightly

I honestly have no idea what to think of all this. On one hand, I would like another SW trilogy and a new Jedi Knight game (and a new KoTOR game, while I'm at it), but on the other hand, I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of a new SW movie "every two to three years".

As for this announced Episode VII, I'd like to see what they have planned - I'd be interested in seeing the Thrawn trilogy adapted, but that would most certainly require a recast of all the characters we know and love. I guess the alternative is to go further into the future (since it's Ep. 7, after all) and perhaps adapt some of the later books, where old actors could be used, or adapt the Star Wars Legacy comic book, which has a completely new cast of characters. Then again, since it's apparently going to be an original story, they might just pick a timeframe and a set of characters and make something new. A trilogy with Kyle Katarn, or one of the other side characters as the protagonist, might be interesting to watch.

I only think this can make things better, as present LA and LF aren't exacly "good", so maybe this give them the much needed chance to improve...

:rofl:

I still get people telling me off on my YouTube videos every now-and-then for playing the games wrong. Then I tell them off for having such a narrow mind and do it in such a way so they're offended by my response. I continue to play with them for a bit by provoking them where they really defend their view and then I really insult their narrow view and how the KOTOR are role playing games and how I should be able to make whatever choices I want to make and insult them really badly and block them from being able to respond just at the right point where they are really frustrated with me. Fun stuff! :D

Thank you to both of you :thmbup1:

Since when Mark Hamill said that he didn't like Star Wars? The only "bad" thing I heard from him regarding Star Wars was something along the lines of "I like ice cream too, but I don't eat it four times a day."
Yeah from everything I've seen and heard from him he is happy about the role he played and is a real geek that likes that sort of thing.

Archived