Home

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

Astor

Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad

• Good
    • Let's wait and see
    • Bad
    • Yoda

He's tied to the story of Lucas.

He is tied to the story that Lucas made a treatment of that Arndt has written the screenplay for... but the director is the one who dictates how it's told regardless of what the writers have written. The reason why a director is seen as the most important part of the movie is because they end up shaping the very style of the movie itself (aside from the person/people doing the music), even if you have specific talented people working on the movie too who have their own style of doing things, the director is the one that still calls the shots in the direction the movie goes.

I'm not too thrilled about Abrams as director, I hope this turns out to be a really crappy rumour that isn't true... but if he is director, I'm hope I'm wrong and he's all like "TO HELL WITH ALL THIS GREENSCREEN! LET'S DO THIS ALL PRACTICALLY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!" and turns out to do an awesome job with the movie.

After all, I don't WANT it to suck. I just have no confidence in Abrams. Hopefully I'm wrong and the people happy about him directing are right.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking back at what Abrams did with Star Trek, I can see how that would translate well to a Star Wars movie (perhaps more so than it did a Star Trek movie, I don't know, Abrams' Trek is the only one I've seen to date). But it's a style I'd identify more with the prequels than the original trilogy. Moreover, I'm not sure Abrams and Arndt combine well. If it turns out to be true, though, I'll be mildly disappointed, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He is tied to the story that Lucas made a treatment of that Arndt has written the screenplay for... but the director is the one who dictates how it's told regardless of what the writers have written.

I'm not arguing that. I'm merely saying that both Abrams and Arndt are tied to the story Lucas wrote.

As stated before, Arndt is writing the screenplay adapted from what Lucas has written which makes him more important than Lucas. Lucas is a guide, but both Arndt and Abrams (if the rumours are true) are going to be key in making this successful.

I'm not arguing their importance (although I think story is as much, or even more, important as screenplay).

I'm just saying they are dependable on the story that Lucas wrote. Nothing more.

And I'm saying that even if Lucas wrote the greatest story ever written but it makes no difference if Arndt and Abrams don't do a good job at translating it into a movie.

Alternatively, Lucas could write the worst story ever told and Arndt and Abrams could make something awesome out of it.

It's more on them than it is on Lucas. Lucas is just a guide in this...

The story for movies aren't written like novels, which is why the screenplay in movies matters quite a lot.

As long as they keep m-effing Damon Lindelof far away from the script, I don't have too much of a problem with Abrams directing, though there are certainly better choices out there.

If they don't, then this project is doomed from the start.

Official Statement from Abrams, Kennedy and Lucas -

It’s Official! JJ Abrams WILL Direct Star Wars Episode VII

“It’s very exciting to have JJ aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie,” says producer Kathleen Kennedy in the official statement. “JJ is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture.”

George Lucas adds, “I’ve consistently been impressed with JJ as a filmmaker and storyteller. He’s an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn’t be in better hands.”

Although it also says that Abrams is still committed to Paramount for a third Trek movie (though not necessarily as director). Could be interesting...

It also says in the article Kasdan will be consulting (so he's involved even before he gets into Episode VIII), so that's a plus.

Abrams doing both Star Wars and Star Trek... I think the universe is collapsing into itself. But if he manages to make a succesful Star Wars movie, he will have revitalized perhaps the two biggest sci-fi franchises in just a few years. :p

Standalone Star Wars movies confirmed by Disney CEO Bob Iger.

There’s been speculation about some standalone films that are in development, and I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few standalone films. Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga. So we still plan to make Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 roughly over a six-year period of time, starting 2015. But there are going to be a few other films released in that period of time too.

This week, rumors hinted at a Yoda movie being planned, while not too long ago, there were whispers of Zack Snyder being brought in to create a Star Wars standalone movie heavily influenced by Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Whether either rumor bears any truth or Disney has something else in mind, we'll have to wait and see. But "great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga" can be interpreted quite broadly. As the article at Screenrant suggests, this could go from relatively minor movie characters to popular characters from other media.

A movie about Yoda, a movie about Boba Fett and a movie about Vader and Sidious would be sweet.

Especially Vader, one of the coolest characters ever. James Earl Jones in Star Wars sells tickets, he won't be in the sequel trilogy, so why not use him in between Episode III and IV when Jedi Knights were being hunted down?

The Adventures of the Mighty Sarlacc Pit: A Thousand Years of Pain and Suffering

No I Can Handle It: The Story of Jek Porkins

The Day I Gonked My Last Gonk

The Max Rebo Band Galactic Tour: Behind the Scenes

Stumpy the One Armed Wampa

Moisture Farmer: Tatooine

Jedi Knight Origins: Yoda

Lando Calrissian: Card Player, Gambler, Scoundrel.

Boba Fett: The Bounty Hunter Chronicles

Lobot's Day Off

Darth Maul Returns Again

and many more...

Can't wait.

Archived