Home

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

Astor

Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad

• Good
    • Let's wait and see
    • Bad
    • Yoda

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We all knew it was going to happen even though the folks at Dark Horse were like "it's fine! nothing to worry about!"
Yeah, I hope they were expecting it themselves, otherwise they're in for some hard times. It's still sad, though. They launched some great comics within the SW universe. Let's not forget that the Tales of the Jedi series had a direct influence on how KotOR became what we now all know and love.

As weird as I may seem I think you are all looking at this too pessimisticly. DarkHorse as a company will be perfectly fine. They make much more than just comics and just finished their most succsussful year ever do to licensing and selling of two of their comic plot lines to be made into video games. As a company they have nothing to worry about.

As far as the comics go marvel is a skilled comic company and has actually been in the business of comics longer than darkhorse. They have some of the most skilled artist and writers. I woulden't worry too much about the future of starwars comics the one thing you can worry about though is comics that you follow now not getting the ending you hoped for.

• 2 weeks later...

A "Story Group" has been created by Disney to steer all Star Wars lore from here on out - and their initial mandate is to streamline the existing, sprawling canon. Which basically means that the expanded universe is under review.

It stands to reason, with the in-universe chronology of the latest trilogy, that everything post-RotJ is going to get seriously shaken up.

Logically, I understand the reason to do this - for Star Wars to continue; to not stagnate, and to stay alive in order capture the imaginations of new generations, it has to be rebooted with tighter continuity control (and it can be conceded, that much of the EU could technically be considered of substandard quality..).

However, despite the sense this makes, I can't help but feel like my childhood is at a firing squad. ._.

I wish StarWars.com would actually release their own news, because it seems all these independent media, report and dissect their own version of it and it turns in to a war of misinformation across facebook, twitter and the like.

The Story Group is basically the same system and members that have been in place for 15 years, it's just now George Lucas isn't there so said group have stepped in to the limelight. Nothing has changed, but it's true, the Continuity will likely be destroyed.

I'm a 20 years deep EU fanatic, but the last few years have been a myriad of poor books and worse still, Canon decisions... I think Star Wars: The Old Republic (Comics) and Star Wars: Legacy are the best Star Wars stories ever written, but whether the future will hold better stories, or the death of my fandom, is yet to be seen.

I wish StarWars.com would actually release their own news, because it seems all these independent media, report and dissect their own version of it and it turns in to a war of misinformation across facebook, twitter and the like.

The Story Group is basically the same system and members that have been in place for 15 years, it's just now George Lucas isn't there so said group have stepped in to the limelight. Nothing has changed, but it's true, the Continuity will likely be destroyed.

I'm a 20 years deep EU fanatic, but the last few years have been a myriad of poor books and worse still, Canon decisions... I think Star Wars: The Old Republic (Comics) and Star Wars: Legacy are the best Star Wars stories ever written, but whether the future will hold better stories, or the death of my fandom, is yet to be seen.

They've released some. If I'm not mistaken, the announcement that JJ Abrams would be directing was broken/confirmed on the Star Wars Blog. I have to imagine that more and more news will be broken on the website as things get settled with Lucasfilm and Disney. A lot of things still appear to be very hush-hush, but I think that'll change sooner or later.

Just read a story that says the rumored storyline for the possible Boba Fett spin-off movie would include retcon (retroactive continuity) where the original Boba Fett was killed and some nameless individual takes his armor before the original trilogy. It certainly sets a dangerous precedent that says you can just change parts of the story that one person didn't necessarily like - and change it in a huuuuuge way.

Just in case anyone thinks that's a good idea...here's an article you should read.

http://whatculture.com/film/star-wars-4-reasons-rumoured-boba-fett-retcon-bad-idea.php

Just cannot imagine how they could pull off having the original trio...None of the films had fat, old Jedi Masters. Old, maybe, but not fat. Mark Hamill, for sure, won't look like he belongs.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were told to lose some weight if they were really THAT out of shape. We all know that Ford will be in shape though!

Wouldn't be surprised if they were told to lose some weight if they were really THAT out of shape. We all know that Ford will be in shape though!

I read somewhere that Fisher was quoted as saying that Disney had already assigned her and Hamill personal trainers in anticipation of filiming, and that the studio was fine with the shape that Ford is currently in.

As far as the 'Story Group' I think it was inevitable that the post-RotJ EU would be declared non-canon, but to use another franchise as an example, Star Trek has never had an expanded universe. It has books, games, etc - everything Star Wars has to fill out the the world (not to mention CBS's coffers), which leaves the creators free to do as they please creatively.

And it's not like they're going to burn all the books, after all.

Post-ROTJ EU may well (Probably will) be smashed in to oblivion, but the Announcement of the Story Group (Buzz word, It's the same people who've been dealing with continuity for over a decade, they just have more power now) doesn't mention anything about any kind or Retcon, reboot or reordering of the current EU, in fact, all ACTUAL LFL Comments, point to a positive, cohesive future for EU fans.

And it's not like they're going to burn all the books, after all.
Not even the ones that deserve it?!

Yeah, there's really no clarity on the what and the how and it might not be as drastic as it seems. A few questions do arise in my mind (for example concerning the status of certain post-ROTJ characters), but it's too early to tell, really.

Anyway, Luke Skywalker with an Ozai voice. That's my wishlist right there. :carms:

I read somewhere that Fisher was quoted as saying that Disney had already assigned her and Hamill personal trainers in anticipation of filiming, and that the studio was fine with the shape that Ford is currently in.

That's awesome! If they're in shape, I don't care how old they've gotten. People age...it happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Gary Oldman is a top-notch actor, so having him in the cast could be nothing but a boon to this production. Still, seeing as everybody and their mother has been rumored for a role in VII, I don't know if I can expect him to join the cast.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived