Home

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

Astor

Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad

• Good
    • Let's wait and see
    • Bad
    • Yoda

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Filming has started on Episode VII!!!

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

And some casting news:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

OK, so:

1. They've started filming but haven't finished casting;

2. They're getting a 69-year-old to play a part he last played when he was thirty-eight.

This speaks to (1) disorganisation, and (2) either a lack of clearheadedness, or a certain lack of confidence to make bold decisions. It may not be the case with either of these things, but it looks like it.

High expectations, combined with Abrams' apparent lack of anything new to say (for which, see Star Trek: Into A Sort of Dusky Late Afternoon), and what looks like a certain amount of poor preparation, and this doesn't look like it's going to miss the mark. It will still, undoubtedly, gross huge amounts. But the question isn't whether Ep VII makes money; the question is whether Ep VIII does.

2. They're getting a 69-year-old to play a part he last played when he was thirty-eight.

Hold on there. Peter Mayhew was in Revenge of the Sith as Chewbacca. So he was either 59 or 60 when he filmed his scenes depending on when it got done between 2003-2004.

Speaking of Revenge of the Sith and this goes for Attack of the Clones, Christopher Lee was in his 80's when he played Count Dooku which included lightsaber duels. My point is they'll make it work because digital technology and CGI shots are much better now than it was when they made the prequels.

^^^Besides Ol' Ian Played Palpatine in both trilogies. For the prequels he was up there in age and he was one of the better parts of it.

Long as none of them are suffering from Alzheimer disease or dementia I think it should be workable...I mean at this point we only know THAT they are filming, not what it will be.

While I want to grumble, I'm going to wait and see until I start bitching.

While I have my fears (like most Star Wars fans), my general excitement vastly outweighs them.

I admit I put the blinders on a bit when it comes to Star Wars (including the prequels), but I can't help but have high hopes (unintentional alliteration) when it comes to the sequel trilogy.

Larry Kasdan is great, JJ Abrams has done great things, Kathleen Kennedy is great, Lucas is still advising to some extent, and Disney has done exceptionally well with the Marvel Franchise.

Thanks for all the rumours and updates, Shem!

My point is they'll make it work because digital technology and CGI shots are much better now than it was when they made the prequels.

We may as well do away with actors entirely soon. I can see why Ian McKellen was reportedly annoyed whilst filming The Hobbit.

^^^Besides Ol' Ian Played Palpatine in both trilogies. For the prequels he was up there in age and he was one of the better parts of it.

Ian McDiarmid was a young man playing an old man in the original trilogies. He was around the right age when the prequels came around.

Long as none of them are suffering from Alzheimer disease or dementia I think it should be workable...I mean at this point we only know THAT they are filming, not what it will be.

My only concern is that Peter Mayhew, as much as we all love him, hasn't been in the best of health over the last few years, especially since having both his knees replaced. I just hope that the filming schedule doesn't add to those health problems.

My only concern is that Peter Mayhew, as much as we all love him, hasn't been in the best of health over the last few years, especially since having both his knees replaced. I just hope that the filming schedule doesn't add to those health problems.

Well, if it's any cheer up for ya...my dad hobbled around on a decrepit knee for nearly 31 years. He got it replaced, a bit of rehab later he was walking better and standing taller than I ever remembered in my life. His injury was from before I was born. This was 5 years ago next month in may.

Now I can't really speak to any other health issues Peter may be having BUT...Gotta expect a particularly large man as Mayhew to develop some joint problems later in life. When you consider pro wrestlers Andre the Giant and Giant Gonzales and how they died younger and in worse shape...I'd say Mayhew stands a comparatively good chance. So long as the gig doesn't have him doing anything too strenuous.

...and a prayer never hurts.

Archived