Home

Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII due Dec. 18 2015 *Cast Announced 29/04/14*

Astor

Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad

• Good
    • Let's wait and see
    • Bad
    • Yoda

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do realize that Disney made every Marvel movie since 2009 (ie post Iron Man 1), including the Avengers? It's not going to be mickey mouse.

This is good news. Maybe I'm unique in that I really don't think bad sequels ever hurt my appreciation for originals. So really, worst case scenario, they release something I just ignore. Best case, we get good movies again (ie no George Lucas dialogue)

Sorry I haven't watched any Marvel films since the Toby Macquire Spiderman film, so my judgment comes solely from their babyization of acquired anime like Naruto Shippuden, and the horrible, horrid vomit-inducing programs that the Disney channel has been airing since 2004-2005. Until I see more (physical) evidence on the matter to sway me, my opinion remains the same.

I. Don't. Believe. It. :drop2:

If it gets Star Wars out of George's destructive clutches this can only be a good thing.

Okay, Disney, just give me the unaltered original trilogy on blu-ray and I don't care what else you do. :carms:

But what about the games? Hmm...

I don't think LucasFilms controls game production. I believe it's LucasArts? Regardless, it would be awesome if 'Arts went back to the style of their early 2000s games. Personally, I don't like the most recent Lego Star Wars video games.

What if, and this is a BIG if, this could be the introduction of a new trilogy (7,8, and then 9)?! Three more movies. Another added trilogy. 9 movies, three trilogies. Three trilogies. Three trilogies. "Star Wars: A Trilogy of Trilogies". Trilogyception.

I don't think LucasFilms controls game production. I believe it's LucasArts? Regardless, it would be awesome if 'Arts went back to the style of their early 2000s games. Personally, I don't like the most recent Lego Star Wars video games.

LucasArts is a division LucasFilm, as are ILM and Skywalker Sound, which were all included in the deal if I'm reading this right.

What if, and this is a BIG if, this could be the introduction of a new trilogy (7,8, and then 9)?! Three more movies. Another added trilogy. 9 movies, three trilogies. Three trilogies. Three trilogies. "Star Wars: A Trilogy of Trilogies". Trilogyception.

You should re-read the article, or read it if you haven't already ;)

Episode VII is slated for 2015 and the deal says that they want a new Star Wars film every three years.

Where would they even start? So many books to choose from, I think maybe Disney will come up with their own trilogy for VII-IX.

I don't see why it matters.

I don't see why it matters.

It matters to those of us who happen to enjoy reading the EU, and the new Disney-LF could quite possibly bastardize all of it. Of course there's no saying that the books by themselves can't be enjoyed, but it's nice to have everything fit together and it's also where a majority of the novel's callbacks and references come from (other EU canon and Prequel/Current Trilogy Canon and TCW canon).

It matters to those of us who happen to enjoy reading the EU, and the new Disney-LF could quite possibly bastardize all of it. Of course there's no saying that the books by themselves can't be enjoyed, but it's nice to have everything fit together and it's also where a majority of the novel's callbacks and references come from (other EU canon and Prequel/Current Trilogy Canon and TCW canon).

Well it's just stuff that somebody makes up anyway, so for me it doesn't make a difference what any of it is about, just so long as it's entertaining of course.

To each, his own :)

^Came outta nowhere, didn't it?

I really hope that the new movies have original storylines.

Notable exceptions aside, most of the EU is just terrible.

You have read every single installment in the Star Wars Expanded Universe in order to arrive at that conclusion? You sir have earned my respect :lol:

Well it's just stuff that somebody makes up anyway, so for me it doesn't make a difference what any of it is about, just so long as it's entertaining of course.

To each, his own :)

True, the stories don't necessarily NEED to be 'movie' canon in order to be enjoyed, it just helps things to mesh better. I would be bummed though reading a book and knowing that it was totally out of place in the SW timeline, that would be on my mind the entire time.

But seriously folks we're missing the big picture here, now we can have Darth Vader, Yoda, Maul, The Death Star and Force Powers in any future Kingdom Hearts games that come out yay! :animelol:

Before anyone trolls or what not, let's look at the facts.

1. Disney has bought Lucasfilm and owns the rights to Star Wars.

2. They said they will do another Star Wars film.

3. The Star Wars timeline spans 25,000+ years; plenty of room for new films.

What don't we know?

1. Who will direct, write, or star in this new film.

2. How Disney intends to take Star Wars. Maybe they will do a James Bond thing with some good and some bad movies. That is the most likely.

So we have no reason to complain about this. However, there is something for me to say. As much crap as I have given Lucas, he has earned some respect from me for letting this go. Now he no longer receives the profits and such from Star Wars. He has given up his baby for the fans, and that is commendable.

^

GL has enough bank that he doesn't NEED his baby anymore, I'm not sure why he sold it -- it certainly wasn't for the fans maybe it was to wash his hands of it and be exempt from any responsibility of the franchise.

I just have to add that this can be both good and bad; the bad I've already stated -- you don't really NEED movie-confirmed canon to enjoy a book. The good, a much needed breath of fresh air into the franchise that for years focused solely on The Clone Wars and viewers aged 10 - 14. Hopefully this new trilogy will gather old fans and new fans alike, while working with a new and original story for the new movie(s) (no I don't care if I don't see Thrawn/Yuzzahn Vong/Legacy stories etc. on the big screen) :)

Archived