Home

Does Disney's Acquisition of Lucasfilm Bring More Hope for Kotor 3?

Lord Foley

Title. Lucasarts is a subsidiary of Lucasfilm, so Disney now owns that as well. No doubt they want to profit from every available resource. Does new management give the Kotor franchise a brighter future?

I think it does, only because the future was pretty grim under the status quo. Shaking things up is Kotor 3's best shot, I think. They're gonna want big name video game releases around 2015 to help hype their new movie, and new Battlefront, Republic Commando and Kotor games could be just what they want.

So the Star Wars brand is also under LucasFilms. So, George Lucas is now a complete sell-out. Remember all that **** he said about how we wanted the movies to be his way? Now they could completely change that and he'd look like a fool.

Not to mention the pre-existing continuity and that of the EU could be completely disregarded for an Episode VII - IX :argh:

I think it does, only because the future was pretty grim under the status quo. Shaking things up is Kotor 3's best shot, I think. They're gonna want big name video game releases around 2015 to help hype their new movie, and new Battlefront, Republic Commando and Kotor games could be just what they want.

Somebody doesn't know how much crap Disney is on the videogame department...

Disney CEO Robert Iger briefly discussed Disney's plans for game development using the intellectual properties acquired in the acquisition, saying, "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

Say goodbye to PC games altogether.

• 1 month later...

So we'll see a xbox Kinect version of kotor? aw snap! *sarcasm*

Seriously though, I don't understand why people are losing interest in game consoles O.o In my mind the next best thing would be virtual reality and things like the Kinect are just fail prototypes that no serious gamer would be into. Unfortunately Disney is in charge and they happen to have a thing with kids but doesn't Disney have another 'branch' company for serious things? Was it Touchstone Films? something like that would be perfect for Star Wars' more serious game series, such as TFU or KOTOR.

• 4 months later...

No.

No one cares anything about the kotor crowd, NO ONE

they will just keep pumping out lame hack n' slash games like TFU..

Here's what I've learned, if its a good game over 3 years old (especially rpg's) and everyone is demanding a sequel, they wont give you one. Sorry, but its the truth..

No.

No one cares anything about the kotor crowd, NO ONE

they will just keep pumping out lame hack n' slash games like TFU..

Here's what I've learned, if its a good game over 3 years old (especially rpg's) and everyone is demanding a sequel, they wont give you one. Sorry, but its the truth..

Well we may not get another Kotor game per say...but EA payed ALOT of money for Bioware and I'm sure they wouldn't mind to start repaying for their Bioware investment.

In a word: no.

Have not read other posts yet, just OP.

Pretty sure if Disney killed off the franchise from filmmaking, it doesn't affect the games one way or the other.

Since the games are licensed to BioWare, I'd assume it's on those guys for whatever future of SW games there may be, unless I'm missing something.

(The following is just an Opinion influenced by experiences of others, have not played it myself and may still not for awhile yet... :()

I wouldn't call SWTOR a flop, but I am scratching my head because the storylines for the Jedi Knight and the Sith Warrior are essentially so polarized. Don't get me wrong, good stories (so I hear) but lacking the flexibility of gray morality. And I look at how characters run and...it just looks funny... There's a few other things about it that need polish and refinement but I would say it generally is pretty far from being bad.

TL;DR: I hear SWTOR could have been so much better, but it still doesn't suck. Other than 1/4 content being polarized and running funny, I got nothing.

Rant over.

I think comics, both omnibus of past stuff and individual issues currently being printed, and stuff like that will continue being printed. Books and such. I have motivation for the essential atlas, as God-awful expensive as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

People forget KOTOR III. The problem people seem to want is the recapture the magic KOTOR brought to us 10 years ago. But the problem is LucasArts f'ed it up.

Back to recapturing the magic people are craving; instead of making KOTOR III, why not make a whole new role playing game from a different time period with original lovable characters. That's what KOTOR brought us 10 years ago, so why not do that again instead of making KOTOR III because KOTOR III will bring baggage as well and it's just best to forget that.

Time to start fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually pretty optimistic about the future of Star Wars. It will no longer be such a stagnant franchise, because, bluntly putting it, Disney paid a s***load of cash for it and will be trying every way to make their money back.

It looks like EA is already putting something together and there is some slight hope for a Kotor-style SPRPG considering that a teaser for Battlefront III just came out at E3, revealing that the heads of the Lucas video games branch are finally listening to the fans.

Archived