Home

New to Star Wars reading

movieguy12

Hello. Im new to reading Star Wars and my gf and i are huge fans. We are both wanting to start reading futhur into the Star Wars Universe but not entirely sure where to start or what is even a good read.

We are both more into the actual Force,Jedi,Sith,action type books. Probably not books that have to do with maninly xwing battles or something like that. We dont care if they are before the movies, between or during the movies or after. I do own Darth Plagueis, and the Darth Bane trilogy I just havent started them yet. I am curious if the The Old Republic books are any good? the fate of the jedi?

Ive been recommeded these.

WANT TO FILL IN THE GAPS BETWEEN MOVIES?

Death Star

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

Shadows of the Empire

The Force Unleashed - Actually the best novel I've read so far. "Badass," doesn't begin to describe it.

Tales of the Bounty Hunters

Tales from Jabba's Palace

WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

Heir to the Empire (The Thrawn Trilogy) This was the first major fiction written after the movies. Not confusing or full of spoilers.

X-Wing: Rogue Squadron. Read at least the first 4. All 8 are good. Like to get away from Luke, Leia, Han and the Jedi? This focuses on the starfighter aspect. Stackpole rocks!

WANT TO START WITH A NEW CAST OF CHARACTERS?

Vector Prime takes you about 25 years after the Battle of Yavin. Lots of spoilers. I say enjoy at least the novels above before coming here. This book and the 25 or so novels after it will rock your Star Wars world forever. They are great, but I don't recommend them to start. I'm on Star by Star right now and it is competing with The Force Unleashed for the best I've read yet. But this is about 10 books in to the series.

LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE SITH MORE?

Read the Darth Bane Trilogy that starts with Path of Destruction. This series was dam good.

CLONE WARS FAN?

I haven't really enjoyed many of those books. Shatterpoint with Mace Windu was the best I've read so far and that starts out really slow. Ends pretty good.

The Approaching Storm was okay, but I have mixed emotions about that one still.

FAN OF BOBA FETT?

Read the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. The Mandalorian Armor, Slave Ship, and Hard Merchandise.

PLEASE AVOID AT ALL COSTS:

Jedi Academy Trilogy - There are lots of references to this stuff, but they were bad. Read the summary instead of wasting your time.

Anything written by Barbara Hambly. So confusing.

Dark Saber - happens between two Hambly novels. Never really any major conflict either.

Splinter of the Minds Eye. This one is so bad it's almost good.

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor

They Crystal Star

Truce at Bakura

Galaxies: Ruins of Dantooine

The Thrawn Trilogy is extremely good, as are Outbound Flight and the Hand of Thrawn Duology. The Truce at Bakura is dull except for a few excellent bits - don't read that. Star Wars The Old Republic: Revan is very good, though you'll want to know the Knights of the Old Republic games first. Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader is good, I've not read any of the others but I've got Splinter of the Mind's Eye and the blurb sounds good.

I got into the Republic Commando and Imperial Commando books by Karen Traviss. They are definitely worth reading. They are off in their own story line, and not much goes with the rest of the star wars universe except some of the locations and a few characters.

Fatal Alliance from the Old Republic wasn't worth reading to me. It wasn't really my style, but someone else might have liked it.

Revan was definitely a good one. Good story and some parts give you a back story on some of the events of Knights of the Old Republic games. I'm not much into MMOs and games like that, so i didn't have much of the story line from those games when i started Revan, but i think i had enough of a handle on it to figure out where everything was coming from.

Darth Plagueis was a good one too. Not so much for lightsaber battles and things like that, it was more of a story about how Palpatine got to where he ended up in The Phantom Menace. Lots of things about political movements and stuff, but had assassination attempts and Gangster deals to keep you very interested.

Hi there! Sorry I didn't introduce myself I'm just excited to buy the Star Wars books I am wanting :).

My name is Donald I'm from Indiana 26 years old. I'm a huge comic book geek love superheroes. I play games if I ever have time! Just got my gf into Star Wars about a year ago and so we are wanting to expand our knowledge on Star Wars and check out some new novels :).

Are there any knights of the old republic novels?

Are there any knights of the old republic novels?[/quote

there are no regular novels called Knights of the Old Republic, but there are novels set in that era however. here is the list of Star Wars Novels set in the Old Republic Era

Dawn of the Jedi

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (2013), by Tim Lebbon (A)

[edit]Lost Tribe of the Sith

Lost Tribe of the Sith: Precipice (2009), by John Jackson Miller (5000 BBY) (E)

Lost Tribe of the Sith: Skyborn (2009), by John Jackson Miller (5000 BBY) (E)

Lost Tribe of the Sith: Paragon (2010), by John Jackson Miller (4985 BBY) (E)

Lost Tribe of the Sith: Savior (2010), by John Jackson Miller (4975 BBY) (E)

Lost Tribe of the Sith: Purgatory (2010), by John Jackson Miller (3960 BBY) (E)

Lost Tribe of the Sith: Sentinel (2011), by John Jackson Miller (3960 BBY) (E)

Lost Tribe of the Sith: Pantheon (2011), by John Jackson Miller (3000 BBY) (E)

Lost Tribe of the Sith: Secrets (2012), by John Jackson Miller (somewhere between 3000 BBY and 1032 BBY) (E)

Lost Tribe of the Sith: Pandemonium (2012), by John Jackson Miller (E)

Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories (2009–2012), by John Jackson Miller (A)

[edit]The Old Republic

The Old Republic: Revan (2011), by Drew Karpyshyn (3954 BBY) (A)

The Old Republic: Deceived (2011), by Paul S. Kemp (3653 BBY) (A)

The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance (2010), by Sean Williams (Sometime after 3643 BBY) (A)

The Old Republic: Annihilation (2012), by Drew Karpyshyn (3640 BBY) (Release November 13, 2012) (A)

[edit]Red Harvest

Red Harvest (3645 BBY), by Joe Schreiber (A)

[edit]Knight Errant

Knight Errant (2011), by John Jackson Miller (1032 BBY) (A)

[edit]Darth Bane

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (2006), by Drew Karpyshyn (1003-1000 BBY) (A)

Darth Bane: Rule of Two (2007), by Drew Karpyshyn (1000 BBY-990 BBY) (A)

Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil (2009), by Drew Karpyshyn (980 BBY) (A)

And out of those what all do you recommend? That's actually worth reading?

I have Revan and Deceived from the Old Republic, and they are both definitely good. Deceived starts out from the video titled "deceived" from The Old Republic game, and goes on from there, definitely good if you want to learn more about Malgus.

I bought an eReader, and the first 6 Lost tribe of the Sith came free, so i read them. Together they are a whole book, but individually, they are only about 3 or 4 chapters long. Not a difficult read as individuals, and they might be a bit confusing if you start in the middle or something like that. They are good, but again, not great as individuals, pretty decent as a whole.

So yesterday I decided to buy some books after going to 4 used book stores and a local Barnes and noble I walked away with the following. Let me know if any is missing or should be added :).

Darth Plagueis

The Bane trilogy

The force Unleashed

The old republic- revan

Death Star

The rise of Darth vader

Shadows or mindor

Shadows of the empire

The trawn trilogy

Fate of the Jedi-outcast

New Jedi order-vector prime

Legacy or the force- betrayal