Home

Time Magazine - All-Time 100 Video Games

mimartin

We have not been having enough vidja discussion...

Time Magazine All-Time 100 Video Games

You will notice Knights of the Old Republic does make the list, while The Sith Lords does not.

You will also notice Mass Effect 3 makes the list while neither ME or ME2 are there.

http://techland.time.com/2012/11/15/all-time-100-video-games/slide/your-results/ HAHAHAHA

I'm glad they included Thief:The Dark Project in the list. I loved the last installment in the series the best, and have been waiting for the release of Thief 4...if Eidos ever gets around to it. Always thought that game would make a great movie.

And looking through the list of games... wow, nostalgia! Pitfall (with Pitfall Harry and his hat!), Leisure Suit Larry (did they have game ratings back then?), Doom (that was my first FPS), Castle Wolfenstein (another FPS but with better scenery), The Sims (yeah, ok, it's really just a big virtual doll house, but I'm a girl, so :p )

I'm showing my age, I know, but I have fond memories of playing them. :)

Nice to see that SWTOR made it on the list as well!

Time: Wasting Yours For Ninety Years.

Bitter because Alpha Protocol did not make the list, I see.

Think you are showing your age Jasra, I remember The Oregon Trail.

I think the list is fine when looking at the 70's and 80's. Although I personally like Ms. Pacman better, it is when they get the the 90's and later that I disagree with the list.

On glance tells you the list is invalid. Oblivion on list, Morrowind is not. I would say the same for KotOR and TSL, but I don't want to be flamed. :xp:

On glance tells you the list is invalid. Oblivion on list, Morrowind is not. I would say the same for KotOR and TSL, but I don't want to be flamed. :xp:

Easy way to tell the list is invalid. ME3 but not ME or even ME2. Both of those were far better than ME3. Not to say ME3 was horrible, still better than most games, but to put it as better than ME2?

Bitter because Alpha Protocol did not make the list, I see.

That game is damn near unplayable. It's like Obsidian released a rough-draft alpha as a finished product and expected us to play it. I lost all confidence in them after that. :(

On glance tells you the list is invalid. Oblivion on list, Morrowind is not.

This. Morrowind was a golden egg. Oblivion was a turd.

Halo: CE...I seem to be the only person who utterly hates that game. Oh well.

Dark Forces should definitely be on there. I remember hearing some where that it was the first game to have things like multiple floor levels and crouching, or at least it was a few things we take for granted in games today. And no Ocarina of Time? The original Legend of Zelda was revolutionary, no arguing that, though I'd expect Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Skyward Sword (this one is pretty recent, to be fair) on there.

Personally, I would want Xenoblade to be on there, but that game is so recent I'm not surprised. That, and I seem to be one of the few people who have actually played it. :xp:

Good to see Quake and Tomb Raider are on the list. But I can't believe Far Cry wasn't on the list, I mean c'mon...they even made a movie based on that game for godsakes! Even though most of the movie really sucked.

As to the list, was kind of disappointed they didn't include Dark Forces. That's the game that largely kicked off my interest in PC gaming.

Yeah I'm somewhat suprised they didn't have Dark Forces on that list. We both thought it would've been on there, guess not. Doom and Dark Forces were the first PC games I played, which got my interest in PC gaming as well. And Doom was the first game where I first made my attempt at Modding. Both are still great games IMO.

I highly question Mass Effect 3's inclusion on that list, but here's a rationalization:

ME3 has horrible writing, but is a highly emotionally engaging experience.

In my opinion, this is representative of video games as a whole - they are such engaging experiences, that their commonly bad writing gets overlooked or disregarded (and propagated, as the low standards are rarely challenged).

In this regard, ME3 possibly deserves a place on that list. I hate the writing, but that game was the most emotionally engaging that I've played in recent memory; possibly ever.

I think though, for historical purposes, ME1 or ME2 deserves to be remembered/immortalized.

I saw a lot I agree with and am glad so many classics made it. There are some that make me scratch my head.

The 70's:

Oregon Trail. Yes, I remember that. Even as an elementary schooler in the early 90's because the newfangled macintosh was only beginning to make headway and we all had to start learning typing on the Apple II and such. We all fought over whose turn it was to play on the mac.

I didn't realize it qualified as an RPG, so this one was the first RPG I ever played and/or beat. I was one of the few 5th graders in my school who actually managed to beat it. I attribute it to my parents teaching me about money management since I was 4, and a bit of trial and error plus some development on a few skills IRL referred to in the game.

Games from that period like Asteroids, Breakout, and Pong, were kind of difficult to miss. Arcade booths as well as friends whose dads had Atari made this available.

The next decade: Again, arcades were to thank primarily for exposure to

Defender, Pac-Man. Galaga...Still play today on arcade and own it as part of namco museum for GBA. At one point spent enough time and money, and continues that I made it to mid 50s levels. That is nearly the full cycle of level patterns twice around.

Played Pitfall! and frogger on atari.

Despite familiarity with the wolfenstein series, I never played any of them.

Donkey Kong...My first exposure was to that 101 level DK '94 for the game boy and that sparked a near obsessive interest for some time in the rest of DK. Eventually came to play one arcade version. Bought a cartridge dual compatible for Atari and Sears arcade.

Centipede and similar knockoffs on various systems are my exposure here.

Initially had the sequel to Lode Runner for Mac Performa 6300CD. Played it finally on a friend's inherited old mac. I suspect was at least somewhat an inspiration for the NES game Wrecking Crew. In fact, LR Returns seems to take a page from WC's flattery. WC had a memory space for 4 custom levels; LR Returns responded in kind with their own custom level feature.

Tetris...just about everyone has played in some form or another.

Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Mega Man, The Legend of Zelda, Punch-Out!!!, Contra, and Metroid...All staples of the NES era. Have them all. You don't at least know these and you're in your late 20's, you missed out.

Next Decade:

Street Fighter 2, the one game my dad played and beat before I did.

...SimCity2000 is on there but not the original? WTF? Bah, whatever.

Doom, Chrono Trigger, and sonic. All familiar but never owned. Only played sonic. Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy 7, Ever Quest. Never played but knew of them well. Heard of Prince of Persia, and agree its place is well earned.

Mortal Kombat. Played first one, own the trilogy game for N64.

Mario64 definitely deserved to be on there. As did Star Craft.

Did not play goldeneye007, but own its followup on the same engine Perfect Dark. Made the N64 IMO. Definitely see why it's on the list.

Next decade...OK, Diablo 2 is on the list but 1 isn't? Wow.

Have The Sims. Still in plastic wrapping. Bought a few yars ago at yard sale.

GTA3 is definitely well placed. This series took the same carnage that drew me to Twisted Metal a step further.

And because it is so relevant:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
time_vcity.jpg

Have not played any Metroid Primes. Can't say for sure if it deserved to be on there.

HL2...I have orange box. Definitely deserves to be on the list. Same with Portal.

Interested in BioShock. Never played.

KOTOR definitely should be on there...But no TSL?! :mad:

Alpha Protocol and Vampire the Masquerade deserves to be there (since they seem to accept flawed diamonds on their list), if only to get game devs to learn from them.

Also wish they had switched ME3 for TW2.

Also dislike KotOR instead of TSL and Oblivion instead of Morrowind.

Archived