Home

Best story among the empire classes

mur'phon

My rep class is a Scoundrel, and while the story took a nosedive after lvl 15, I really enjoy playing as a stealthy healer.

I'm no longer as certain that I will play a tank class (SI, BH, SW), because while I seem to be able to handle healing well enough, my occasional minor screw ups aren't as devastating as when a tank screw up (that, and I have no idea if I'll be any good at playing tank).

8 slots, 2 sides * 4 classes. Only other factors being species and gender. IFF you elect for the full thing of course.

From my understanding, tanking can be hard especially if you aren't ranged.

Common sense can avoid most hiccups, only those once in a while freak incidents will get past you. Don't know about any of those unfortunately.

The only screwups I think you'd have to worry about are either failing to protect your more vulnerable teammates, or you yourself biting off more than you can chew.

Unless they made the game with some unbalanced catty-wompus parts that are completely anti-intuitive, you can pretty much avoid any hairy situations in the latter case by heeding all advisories (display tagged with a likelihood of surviving an encounter with/successfully beating an enemy).

As to the former, failing in protection can happen if you're not really paying attention, your character is under-leveled, or you've sorely underestimated your enemy.

If you're not sure about tanking, I suggest Sith Assassin, as they are well rounded on top of being able to tank. I think either PC gamer or one of those similar magazines published a story on it, saying how shocked they were at how simple it was to play sith assassin. And being a story involved with the "higher mysteries" of the force, it sounds like you have a bit of play room w.r.t. light side vs dark side.

Most people I know who have played it said it was tons of fun too. Not sure how it measures up to other tanking classes, though.

Also, I'm not sure I'll enjoy a non stealth class (BH, SW). It's really nice being able to flee from combat and then resurrecting the group, or to simply skip areas that aren't part of any quest.

That said, the only class I have decided almost for certain not to play is the BH. The main story simply doesn't interest me enough.

To each his own. Though you never know, you might be pleasantly surprised. :)

As for the agent, while I enjoyed the whole "we are the bureaucrats who has to clean up after the politicians" angle, the main missions so far are basically go there kill/coerce that. Why? Because it's for the good of the empire, an empire which I don't find all that believable. Basically, I like the "looking at SW" from a new angle, but I find it hard to see why my char would actually do the missions at all.

It probably is mundane in the early goings until you reach later levels. Intrigues, precarious situations, conspiring, covert wars with info and intelligence you gather.

@ GTA: There are no ranged tanks in this game. The Vanguard/Powertech are still melee ranged tanks but with some extra mobility over the Guardian/Juggernaught and Shadow/Assassin, that's it. In terms of their tanking skills, Vanguard/Powertechs are easy to pick up and play and that's really their biggest advantage. Shadow/Assassin tanks are considered to be the best in the game but are harder to master.

F2P 2 slots...period without a unlock.

IFF= IF, and only iF. Geometry logic.

@ DA: There are no ranged tanks in this game. The Vanguard/Powertech are still melee ranged tanks but with some extra mobility over the Guardian/Juggernaught and Shadow/Assassin, that's it.

With the one move, the "gut", but I'd hardly classify a single move melee unless there's some other moves. Are there? Like tackle, or kick?

In terms of their tanking skills, Vanguard/Powertechs are easy to pick up and play and that's really their biggest advantage. Shadow/Assassin tanks are considered to be the best in the game but are harder to master.

Are assassins able to choose either healing or offense with powers btw?

With the one move, the "gut", but I'd hardly classify a single move melee unless there's some other moves. Are there? Like tackle, or kick?

Aside from hammershot, high impact bolt, sticky grenade and full auto which are 30m attacks, the rest of the Vanguard moves are 10m and under. This makes them a melee class with extra mobility but still a melee class. Vanguard Tanks spend most of their time in around the 10m to 4m range mark of whatever they're ranking... I should know, I've been a Vanguard Tank since the beginning and have run a lot of endgame content with our guild. Also gut is part of the tactics tree which is a melee dot based tree.

Are assassins able to choose either healing or offense with powers btw?

Assassins can only be tanks or dps.

@Lynk: well, my Warrior is a Juggernaut (I despise playing as dps, I never know if I do my job right) so I won't just blitz everything. Anyways, the reason I love stealth is partly because it prevents me from overleveling and partly because during heroics with other f2p players, escape artist can be a real time saver.

Seeing as I really didn't like the BH story and don't really see it improving, It's out of the picture for now.

@:GTA Having been the victim of quite a few tanking screw ups (to the point that I religiously add any half decent tank I find to friends), I know just how little it takes to destroy a group, while if I make a tiny screw up as a healer, most people pop a health pack and we are fine.

As for the assassin, the part I find interesting is their involvement with the running of the empire (I do political science, sue me). Magic, black and white morality and "badassery" are things I try to avoid if I can.

So far it seems like it's a draw between the remaining classes.

Having been the victim of quite a few tanking screw ups (to the point that I religiously add any half decent tank I find to friends), I know just how little it takes to destroy a group, while if I make a tiny screw up as a healer, most people pop a health pack and we are fine.

Oh, I get it. Risk of losses for difficulty encountered is simply not worth it to you. Yeah, you pretty much have to be of the mind and personality for it.

As a side note, we're polar opposites on many things I notice. Peculiar way the world has of balancing things out.

As for the assassin, the part I find interesting is their involvement with the running of the empire (I do political science, sue me).

Inquisitors are the same regardless of the progression tree you choose, I'm pretty sure.

Magic, black and white morality and "badassery" are things I try to avoid if I can.

So intrigue and money are where it's at for you then? (can't think of much else)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest, I haven't quite read this entire thread, but I was responding to the original post. xP

I must say that I enjoy all four classes, but out of them, I enjoyed a LS Agent... and I will NOT hesitate to go through the story again as a male IF they allow SGRAs and Vector is the Agent SGR companion. :) I find it incredibly awkward going through as a female anything... (even though, I'm gay and it'd probably work out better for me romance wise. :xp: Until then I'm good romancing a DS Jaesa on my Chiss Warrior <3 She may be a girl, but she's awesome... I'd totally date her if she were real... and I was the Sith Warrior in reality. xP)

Archived