Home

Newb to RPGs-combat confusion

SithPanda

Hi all,

Can someone please explain how real-time turn-based combat works in the first KOTOR? I've read the manual and tried to find explanations online, but I still do not understand enough to start playing the game with confidence.

My main question is, if I engage an enemy and select an attack/action, is the game automatically using that same action for every turn until I change it. I can understand if the game automatically paused and waited for me to confirm I wanted to use the same action. But as it stands, the turns seem to happen so fast, I can barely tell when they start and stop. It makes sense that the devs were going for a more interesting, seamless fight animation, but I don't see how a novice like myself could play without pausing every turn. Maybe someone can help me understand what's going on.

Thanks tremendously!

SP

If your character is already engaged in a fight and you don't select a particular move, then your character will execute a basic attack; if you continue to remain idle, every turn your character will continue using basic attacks. But if you select a special attack/action, say, Force Lightning or Critical Strike, your character will use that move for one turn, then revert back to using basic attacks. This means that if you want to continue spamming special moves, you will have to manually select that move.

Don't put yourself down for pausing before moves. It's very common; even the best players do that. If you're still confused, keep asking and I'll do my best to help.

Archived