Home

How did F2P go so wrong?

awi5951

I let my sub drop 2 months ago and was going to come back and check out the F2P option, and man i hit the floor laughing my butt off lol. Man have bioware been paying attention to the market the last few years especially with guild wars 2 and Lord of the rings online out there.

They need to use guild wars 2 but more so lord of the rings online for a guide.

Lord of the rings online lets free players grind like mad for a few hours and unlock everything the paid players get for free. Your ridding skill takes longer as a free player. IN LOTRO you just grind starter area quests for the turbine points to unlock that. Bank tabs and auction house is limited for free players. Well you can grind that out in several hours as well and take that restriction off.

You have a gold cap as a free player in LOTRO guess what you can grind that cap off as well. In LOTRO if your a free player you can play the game to remove your restrictions how about Old republic get a brain and do that.

And yes i do buy items and points to buy other perks in these games. Because guild wars and LOTRO did give me a choice not just make the game so frustrating that i feel that i have to buy these things to compete. Actually i was really happy to buy things from them because they made it so inviting and didnt nerf me so i really wanted to buy this stuff from these guys to say thank you. With so many Competing MMOs out there this isnt the way to win people over to your side. The Dark side is very strong in you EA.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do that I unsubcribe... F2P should not get the same perks as paying players unless they pay for it. They are not hurting for players right now, and you can finish the game without paying a dime as is. Most of the perks you are talking about, I did not even get as a Sub until I got my first toon leveled and/or my legacy to 50 and that was way more than serveral hours.

Give me stuff for free...NO give me everything for free.:rolleyes:

I was expecting some reasonable arguments why TOR's F2P had failed, but nope.

It failed because there were 5 instances on Korriban the other night when I was trying to get my matrix shard. Almost could not see the darn thing for all the un-buffed masses running around. :xp:

Also what does reasonable have to do with a gaming forum? I want my free stuff now. :D

I played the free. It's actually pretty robust for free. All the little things that add upare what got me back subbed. If you want all the perks, sub. it's not that much. If you want the perks without subbing, buy the cartel coins. If you want all the perks with no pay, and massive grinding involved... um... bye.

I played the free. It's actually pretty robust for free. All the little things that add upare what got me back subbed. If you want all the perks, sub. it's not that much. If you want the perks without subbing, buy the cartel coins. If you want all the perks with no pay, and massive grinding involved... um... bye.

The grinding in lOTRO wasnt that bad it took me like 2 days of playing to unlock everything. And cant see this F2P model as far at all with me having both guild wars 2 and LORD of the rings online. And guild wars 2 has no restrictions at all and its totally free with a much larger and far more detailed more. And the flashpoint restrictions and hot bar restrictions are just plain silly. The game lacked end game content and updates came too late to keep subbing. Hell i paid for like 5 months that i didnt even play because i was so bored of Old republic. This free 2 play model is really new and the most restrictive that ive seen and thats why its not going to work. Yes the story is free but the story is why everyone left the game. They finish the story and say im bored and half the user base left.

Other than the story the max lvl content just wasnt enough to keep me. If im gonna sub ill go back to wow since the last expansion was on sale for 19 dollars which i bought but haven't resubbed yet. I dropped wow for old for 6 months but the game content ran out fast.

Heh. as one of the ones who came back simply because it was free, I can say this. it's a heck of a "Free Demo" Got me to resub. And from the Gen Chat, sounded like a bunch of other folks did too. Those that don't, Oh well. Seriously. You don't have to buy the game to get free gameplay that's restricted. You've got no skin in the game at that point. They don't hit people with the banner ads, or interrupt your gameplay with ads. It's a pretty nice game for free.

I don't understand how people can get through everything so quickly that they've run out of things to do...

They don't have me bugging them to go run go do datacron runs, dailies, daily heroics, hmfps, world bosses and Ops like you do. :xp: There was a time when I was running 3 and 4 Ops a week, I didn't have time for the other class stories becaue I was too busy running Ops and Dailies on 2 toons.

I can understand people saying that there is no after 50 content that I want to do, but saying there is no after 50 content is just silly.

I for one bought the game for the story. Figured I would mess with it a few months and be done, never thought I would do raids beyond a few with friends from this forum. However, I love the social aspect of the game. I love the fact that some content actually requires a fairly cohesive group to finish. Sure most can be PUGed, but do the same content a few times with a regular group and you will never want to go back to a pug again.

Lynk they get through the content so fast because all they care about is the grind. Not the other aspects of what the game offers.

I can understand the grind in other MMOs since there's really not much else, but the difference swtor brings in terms of story and the connections between them are too good to pass up... though I guess the toon limit does hurt that since F2P folks only get 2 slots while subbers get 12...

Either way, experiencing all 8 class stories is something I think everyone should try to do with swtor. Especially when it comes to the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior stories (and certain flashpoints) in terms of peoples interest in the whole "KotOR III" dynamic.

Also, spacebar

Yeah BioWare should make us all pay 19.99 to unlock the space bar....they would make a killing.

Hate to say it, but I would buy it just for HMFP that I have done over and over and for that alien talk. :xp: I have some friends in the Senate, I am going to get them to pass a law where everyone has to speak basic. :D

Yeah, but that's different, I read what they said and then spacebar when appropriate cause sometimes they just do this really awkward pause to let slow people read the subtitles... it breaks the flow.
Ha, yeah, that annoys me. Most of the time I spacebar when I've read it, but sometimes I takes a bit longer and then I spacebar just when the next line begins. Aaargh.

TL;DR

F2P certainly didn't fail from a business POV... I'm subbed anyway, but I spent about £75 on Cartel stuff, that's like a years subscription cost in a day. Bioware are recouping at a rapid rate. I cannot comment on the restrictions as I didn't bother to try and play my un-subbed account.

Archived