Home

How did F2P go so wrong?

awi5951

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh, I don't care for lvl 50+ raid content. Grind = suck.
You seem to be equating Ops to grinding. From my stand point the two are not the same. I have done EV and KP 20 plus times each, at least, but if someone yells tonight to go again, I will jump at the chance. I see something different every time I do a raid. What doesn't change is I will lmao every time. Even in the worse wipefest, I will find something to make me smile. It is just a game, those toons are not real, but the people I am listening to and talking to in voice are real.

Once I finish my class story it's bye bye character... why do silly reruns and stuff? Never understood that part of MMO gameplay...
I thought that way too, until I actually ran a raid. My first raid where I fell in love with the concept that I thought was stupid, wasn't even with friends. Mav got me to sign up for the raid with Casual Alliance. I didn't know anyone in the group. I was a terrible healer too (even worse than I am now), but by the time we finished I was hooked. Now when someone put up a event I am the first to sign up, when someone is looking for a healer in alliance chat, I jump at the chance. I was a bye, bye person after class story, now I don't even have time to do the stories because I am either doing a raid or working on making my 50 toons better for Ops.

Now dailies and HMFP still feel like grinding to me, but they are quick and painless and needed to make myself better for the real prize Operations. I am not one of those that just do ops for gear either, you can ask Lynk or Mav I may get gear in 1 out of every 10 Ops I do.

having done my fair share of raids, I can say that most of the time was spent talking, waiting on raid member who's wife needed him for "Just a second" or the "Smoke break" crowd. And the "Dude? You there? Did he drop?"

And honestly, It's more about the fun of it than actual gear. Hanging out with friends(or new friends for the time being). I used to while away the time by interjecting random bad jokes.

"A priest, a Rabbi, a blond and a duck all walk into a bar. The bartender looks at them and says, 'What is this some kind of joke?'"

It's a raid like the Flashpoints, right? The Esselles, the ones with the 6 barriers on the homeship of which I cannot recall the names... etc.

Just called Operation instead...

Right?

So yeah, I can make a decision based on that...

Nope, that's not an Operation. Flashpoints are group missions Like any other Heroic, but with an actual story. And what you're talking about is Hard Mode Flashpoints. Which if you are redoing them all the time for gear, yeah grind.

Right?

So yeah, I can make a decision based on that...

Yes, but without doing one, you are just making a totally unfounded, uneducated and completely irrational decision, but yes you can make a decision on anything even if it is not based on any facts or knowledge. It just may not be a correct decision. :xp:

Tommycat: AHAHAHAHAH, I died laughing, man :D That's exactly how it is, some guy saying that he has to take time out to "tuck his wife in"... oh man, it's true, it's so true *wipes away tear*

Hassat: An operation is a raid, yes, but it's different from a flashpoint. It involves 8 players with a group usually comprising of two tanks, two healers and four DPS. Since they're endgame, they're only done once you reach level 50 and it requires you to use everything you have learned about your character and their skiils as well as being able to work with those 7 other people in a team to complete the Operation. The name of the game is cooperation, skill and knowledge of their class, other classes and the enemies and challenges you face in the Operation.

Earlier I mentioned that if you're part of a good guild with a lot of great people, then there's really no grinding that needs to be done to get to a point where you're ready for Operations because any grinding that is involved has already been done by someone else. With my Vanguard, the gear I got came slowly, however, months later when I took my Gunslinger into Operations, she ended up getting a tonne of gear all at once because the people around me in my guild were able to support me.

As with everything involving MMOs... it's a social event based around cooperation in a social game... and it's a hell of a lot of fun, especially when you have a good group you're playing with.

I think they only made a few small mistakes with the restrictions in f2p which blew up in their face from a user perspective. People all over the web are saying how poorly implemented it is, and a lot of it isn't even accurate, just because they heard you have to pay to revive or only have x number of action bars. It's still the same game as it was before and if you were a previous subscriber, you just need to subscribe for 1 more month to get enough coins to unlock all those little annoying things. The completely free option is aimed at people trying it for the first time.

I do still think it's too restrictive, not allowing armor color matching or hiding head slot for example, but for casual players that shouldn't matter as much. If you want more, well it's still really a subscription game with a free option. I think the cartel market sucks for current subscribers, there is almost nothing there I'd want to waste my 3,000+ cartel coins on, but from the f2p angle I think it's way overblown.

I'll be signing up for clan buisness, and Im looking forward to it, since subbing has always been a pain in the ass or me. Since ive never played any games like WoW or TOR It'll be new for me, with all the extra clickable(?) things :D

On another note, does anyone know what the former player count was and what it is now?

On another note, does anyone know what the former player count was and what it is now?
Don't think they've released numbers since F2P yet, too early really. It's definitely more crowded in every instance than before F2P, but that doesn't really tell the whole story, since they merged servers into superservers, so obviously it's gonna be crowded. I think there's definitely an influx of new players and returning players, but how significant it is and if it's going to maintain those numbers, that's something that we'll only know somewhere down the line.

You'll have to ask yourself what the point of you playing the game is. Is it to get your character to lv50 and then go through all of the endgame content, several flashpoints a week, raids/operations, lots of pvp/warzones? If it's any of those things, then subscribing is for you because, while they're available to F2P folks, they're limited.

Doing anything else in the game? Don't really care if you miss out on some cosmetic things and some small things that make things a little more convenient? Then F2P is the way to go... and if there are specific things that you'd like to take advantage of, become a Preferred Player by buying something worth at least 5USD from the swtor store. Other things can be bought using cartel coins if you choose. Still cheaper than subscribing.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with F2P, it's a really good system that lets you play the game without any real restrictions, just a little bit of inconvenience when compared to what subscribers get.

So is playing TOR basically pointless unless you're subscribing for all of the perks?

No... Helped a smuggler yesterday with his/her class mission Corellia. He/She was level 48 and had gotten there without sub or buying any Cartel Coins. The smuggler said he/she had to grind some to stay leveled properly, but as a subscriber I had to do the same thing with my scoundrel. He/She said it was no problem leveling and 2 bars were more than enough up to that point.

Not every ability needs to be on your quick bar. He/She hadn't decided if he/she would continue with after 50 stuff, but was planning on rolling a knight next. Could have just been saying that because the nice, pink knight was killing his/her boss.

So no, at least according to someone that has leveled a toon to 48 and finished their class story, it is not pointless to go f2p. Like Lynk wrote, it is pointless if you want to do after 50 stuff.

@subject: Sounds a bit like...so many flash games.

You can play free but you'll be spending an inordinate amount of time and effort on bothersome stuff.

Plus (just as examples) you don't get the coolest things be they cosmetic or gameplay related. So you can meet someone equal level but expect that you will lose hard since you only have 2/3rds of the skills, half the carry space, crappier gear, and all the really lucrative daily missions are not available...oh and most of the fun missions that don't put you into snorefest? Yeah those are either off limits or severely hindered.

I don't imagine SWTOR being much different from flash games in that regard.

I already intend to sub since I have the CE, but I suppose I'll just get my start on F2P...

After I can get my new machine up and running of course. :rolleyes: Any action to be taken on this is at least 4 months out if not longer. So after completion, probably about a year from now more or less...One can hope...

You can play free but you'll be spending an inordinate amount of time and effort on bothersome stuff.

Actually, if you finish all sidequests, your exactly the right level (up till 30 atleast, there with zbyl).

As subscriber you get twice the XP. But the only result of that is that you quickly outlevel your opposition.

I hardly call actual sidemissions a grind or bothersome.

So you can meet someone equal level but expect that you will lose hard since you only have 2/3rds of the skills, half the carry space, crappier gear, and all the really lucrative daily missions are not available...oh and most of the fun missions that don't put you into snorefest? Yeah those are either off limits or severely hindered.

Let's see...

* Progression is the same. F2P have the same amount of skills and powers, so, no, not that.

* Half-the-carry-space is true. But overall it's filled with junk anyway. I never ran out. And if I did, just drop some junk.

* Crappier gear. So far (30) I only found a single purple item (which I cannot use), which had pretty horrible stats. So far, not noticing it thus.

* Daily missions and weekly missions are all there. You're limited on warzones of course, but the world bosses? Nothing stopping you.

* Fun missions. All missions but operations are in. Are those the only fun quests in the game? If so, that's a massive failure of it's own. I don't think so. Even with too much combat, the dialogue saves it somewhat. I like roleplaying. Enough to overcome gameplay apparently.

Incorrect. You get some upgrades later, like the speeder piloting later, but it's still earlier than when people originally got their speeder licenses when the game started. Stuff is still a hell of a lot more convenient for F2P folks than it was for subscribers that started with the game.

Plus (just as examples) you don't get the coolest things be they cosmetic or gameplay related

Partially incorrect, you can still get cool stuff, just not cool end game stuff and gear that'll allow you to do the really high end operations... since if you really cared about that kind of stuff, you'd subscribe anyway.

So you can meet someone equal level but expect that you will lose hard since you only have 2/3rds of the skills

Incorrect.

half the carry space

If you mean quickbars, that's being upgraded soon.

crappier gear, and all the really lucrative daily missions are not available...

For endgame, yes... but like I said, if you were interested in endgame operations to begin with, you'd subscribe.

oh and most of the fun missions that don't put you into snorefest? Yeah those are either off limits or severely hindered.

Limited, yes. Off limits, no. Though I don't really know what you mean by fun missions since that varies from person to person.

Archived