Home

Weird Script Happenings

harIII

Now for those who are unfamiliar with me, I've been a pretty regular around here when it comes to modding and I believe myself to be a fairly rational human being. However my rationale is proving ill.

I'm doing a small little project in my spare time for KOTOR. I've spent quite some time modding both KOTOR and TSL and I've never ran into this problem before. Quite frankly it doesn't make any sense at all.

Has anyone ever had any trouble with having scripts fire in KOTOR? For example I have a door that is locked and can only be open by a key. When you click on it to open, it will fire a script to do a few things to set up a dialog scene and do everything perfectly except to have the character talk to you, the character is a new companion. However if I push the tab (rotate the pc button), it will fire the dialog. Another thing happening is if you open up a placeable to grab it's inventory, it should spawn another placeable upon disturbing it's inventory, in theory anyways. In practice, nothing appears to happen. Does anyone know what is going on with these scripts?

-----EDIT-----

In case it is of any insight I gave the files to Fallen Guardian who tested them for me and the dialog apparently work on his computer yet it still doesn't work on mine. Any ideas guys?

Has anyone ever had any trouble with having scripts fire in KOTOR? For example I have a door that is locked and can only be open by a key. When you click on it to open, it will fire a script to do a few things to set up a dialog scene and do everything perfectly except to have the character talk to you, the character is a new companion. However if I push the tab (rotate the pc button), it will fire the dialog. Another thing happening is if you open up a placeable to grab it's inventory, it should spawn another placeable upon disturbing it's inventory, in theory anyways. In practice, nothing appears to happen. Does anyone know what is going on with these scripts?

-----EDIT-----

In case it is of any insight I gave the files to Fallen Guardian who tested them for me and the dialog apparently work on his computer yet it still doesn't work on mine. Any ideas guys?

Well, I can't check it for you, but you might have the scripts in the wrong slots. That or you have those wonderful cases that I love so much:

The script that you've spent an hour debugging compiles, but only because you've made it so nothing happens in the script!

You might consider using the module's heartbeat script or item scripts, and involve:

if(GetIsOpen(object oDoor))

Or something like that, if everything hangs on the door.

Okay everyone, I've feeling quite stupid right now because I figured out what was going on. Number 1 my script firing and the script I was editing were two different scripts, sooo, I fixed it. Number 2 the spawning thing was looking for a character file rather than a placeable.

However even with these changes it still doesn't explain why Fallen Guardian's copy of the files worked while mine didn't when we had the same files.

Archived