Home

"There can be only one!" The Highlander appreciation thread

Lynk Former

From the dawn of time we came; moving silently down through the centuries, living many secret lives, struggling to reach the time of the Gathering; when the few who remain will battle to the last. No one has ever known we were among you... until now.

Highlander%2BMovie.jpg

A movie about immortals, directed by an Australian, starring a US born actor who spent his childhood in Geneva, giving rise to another actor who would go on to play some pretty badass roles and supported by that man with the Scottish accent. It's a strange movie full of awesomeness but spawned sequels and a series of utter failures after it.

I remember the first time I saw it, it was in the mid-90s and it was one of the first fantasy movies I saw that had swords and warriors that wasn't Star Wars. Of course, at the time I never really appreciated it as much as I did in later years, especially seeing other many other movies over the years.

It's a hell of a movie and deserves to be appreciated, it's definitely one of those movies I think everyone should see.

In the end, there can be only one!

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

One of my favorite movies and perhaps the best soundtrack of all-time.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I remember the first time I saw it. Like 3 am in the morning after coming home drunk. It was strange and a little hard to understand drunk, but I watched it later sober and fell in love with it. I have owned it on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and now Blu-Ray. Have the extended cut, which I highly recommend to anyone that loves the move. I love the added scenes explaining his relationships with Rachel. It really makes the few lines they have in the movie meaningful when you understand their true relationship.

As to the sequels, it is really hard to make a sequel to something after someone already has the ultimate prize, the series was like a prequel, but then again you already knew how it would/should end.

Can't exactly remember when I first saw it, but I know it had to be sometime after it was in the movie theaters because I remember I first seen it on VHS from a video store. It was a good movie then and still a good movie now, IMO.

Didn't care for the sequels though, they screwed those up a little too much for me.

Oddly enough I like the second highlander movie a lot, just for it's sheer crazyness with the badguy driving the metro. Those 2 laughing wacko's at the beginning of the movie. Boy, it was such an oddball movie, makes me laugh everytime I watch it :lol:

Highlander III was just meh. Dull, dull compared to the first and insane second.

I can't remember anything from the tv-series. Though If I'm correct; there was also somesort of cartoon series? More or less based on the second movie; where the highlanders come from another planet. x-D

I didn't think the Highlander TV Series was that bad. Suppose it was sort of a prequel to the first movie, and it had a completely different main character (Duncan Macleod, cousin or something to Conor Macleod of the Clan Macleod). I watched it, but towards the end it started getting kind of weird. :s

It wasn't really anything like the first movie, which was awesome. The Kurgan has got to be my favorite bad guy of all time. My favorite scene of his was when he was 'in disguise' in the Church in NYC talking to McLeod.

I like his Raiden in Mortal Kombat. I recently bought that one dirt cheap. Had a good laugh wathcing it. It's sort of fun to rewatch all those 'bad' made movies. There's still Zardoff, Zardog? with Sean Connery to find and watch :p

I reall like the first 20minutes of Highlander, the whole fight at the underground parking lot in the baseball stadium.

Saw it (director's cut). Not bad.

It was a little strange hearing the soundtrack - I fully expected an orchestral score for the movie. It was also strange because I was already familiar with the songs; it would have been better if I had been introduced to them via the movie.

Some of the editing was a bit unpolished (is this common for movies in the 80's?), parts of the narrative were a bit off (you suspect a guy of whacking someone's head off, so what do you do? Invite him for dinner), as was some fighting choreography (Fasil/the-first-shown-enemy-immortal casually backflipping across the carpark).

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
The part where Connor is thrown out of his clan on 'righteous' suspicion of Satanism makes me lol. Apparently, these people weren't aware that healing and/or resurrection were fully "their Lord"'s gig.

I found the character of the Kurgan quite interesting, especially noting his attitude towards immortality opposed to Connor's. I think this is most evidently portrayed in the scene where he's driving - the intentional recklessness, and the glee he derives out of it. He's immortal, but he lives like a man with a month to die. (This, compared to Connor's responsibility-influenced reservedness and self-regulation.)

But yeah. All in all, an enjoyable watch. A remake would be nice, but I doubt it would do well.

I'm tempted to watch the sequels, but will steer clear of it based on this thread's recommendations.

It's a very aged movie, but that's part of it's charm, it's got styles from the 80s that you'll never see again.

A remake is happening apparently (dunno how far along that is but it's happening), but it won't be Highlander, it'll just end up being this expensive, well made but soulless imitation that doesn't have the charm of the original.

I'm tempted to watch the sequels, but will steer clear of it based on this thread's recommendations.

Yeah you can't go wrong there. The biggest problem with the sequels I have is, they seem to get away from the whole "There can only be one!" concept.

I mean if your the only one left and you've won the prize, there shouldn't be anybody else left, right? Which leaves to reason in order to get the prize, why there is the "There can only be one!" rule.

The sequels don't really follow up coherently with the movies before them... Would I dare say WTF retcons on various things? Still I still like Highlander II a lot. I consider it to be just a fun movie. Don't expect jaw dropping and deep emotions. It's just fun and odd... weird... lots of 'what the hell?!" But that makes it fun ^_^

Archived