• 2D
    • Musical interest
    • Simulation (any kind)
    • Educational
    • Cognitive skill
    • Puzzle
    • Artistry based
    • Fighting/combat
    • Coordination (anything from timing to exercise)
    • Arcade style
    • Other (please list)

Would have submitted to LF polls but decided the better for just simply sticking it here. The staff have my permission to move it there if so desired. Otherwise it'll remain here.

In the interest of keeping it lively around here I am taking a poll of what types of games LF'ers play, why, how many hours a week, and how much they prefer certain kinds over others.

By the way if you are an uninitiated lurker who is reading this, then please do join us and answer some questions, we'd love to have you.

Since making multiple polling questions quickly gets tedious, and excessively long and elaborate polling is both messy and just feels like a classroom quiz...I just put one question to which you can select answers. The rest of the questions (below) are so you may elaborate. At your liberty entirely you may answer some or all...or none, even.

Now then:

1) What of your selections do you play most? Least?

2) How long have you been involved with each of your choices (approximately in years)?

3) Why do you rate any one over the other (or NOT)?

4) Do you ever think the game industry is running out of ideas? (if yes) How so?

5) What are the primary motivational factors in your decisions in whether or not to purchase a game?

6) Has your liking for games ever gotten you in serious trouble somehow (or at least come close)?

7) When it comes to older games, or a rehash, how do you react?

8) In contrast to above, when it comes to new games, how do you react?

9) How would you explain your relationship with gaming?

10) To expand upon the above, do you ever think or feel like you're tiring of it or just can't (or don't care to) keep up with it anymore? Why or why not?

11) If there is anything important you would like to add to this which is not covered, then please do so.

You forgot to include Strategy... but I forgot to vote Other, so we're both even. >_>

1) Hard to say. 3D most definitely, but in genres, I really don't know, probably FPSs in terms of playtime.

2) I haven't had radical changes in genre preferences, but I did have the patience for grand strategy and simulation games when I was 10-15ish at least. I still play strategy, but I have often have to force myself to get in.

3) I have a thing for first-person games above all others (shooters or otherwise), as I find the first-person perspective delectably immersive, both in games and books. And I hate most 2D side-scrollers and platformers - and 2D side-scrolling platformers are the worst of all.

4) On the contrary, I think this is a pretty good time for the industry. The past decade was strange and rocky, but a lot of previous fears have been allayed. You have indie games coming left and right with original ideas, Kickstarters with great ideas, and triple-A games are actually going up, quality-wise. Besides, this was the year Dishonored, XCOM and The Walking Dead came out.

5) Err mostly just "Will this look good in my collection?", but also "Does this game do something that I'd want to buy the developers a cake for?"

6) Nope.

7) Well I don't throw molotovs, if that's what you're asking.

8) I throw molotovs, if that's what you're asking.

9) I... really wouldn't, that's just akward.

10) I often do; like I'm growing out of it, or that I'll never have the naivete I had when I was younger that let me enjoy games I don't know. And then I come across a game like The Walking Dead, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Hotline Miami or Portal 2, and I'm reassured.

11) I happen to be fond of reptiles of the order Chelonii.

Most? Hard to tell, I play a lot of different types of games frequently... least? Educational and Cognitive skill games I guess, though Professor Layton changes things there from time to time.

2) How long have you been involved with each of your choices (approximately in years)?
I ticked everything :p I've been playing as many kinds of vidya as I could since I first player Super Mario Bros. on my cousin's NES.

I don't... each individual game, no matter what it is or what genre they are have their ups and downs.

4) Do you ever think the game industry is running out of ideas? (if yes) How so?
No. I'm enjoying ZombiU too much to think anyone is running out of ideas... the problem is when developers/publishers start to worry too much about making easy money thereby creating the same game over and over to milk a particular audience. This happens, but there are plenty of devs that don't, or at least balance things out between making money and making something different.

5) What are the primary motivational factors in your decisions in whether or not to purchase a game?
Is it fun?

6) Has your liking for games ever gotten you in serious trouble somehow (or at least come close)?
Not that I know of... there are still some people around me who think that vidya is the devil (not literally) but that's about it.

Love older games... and everything is a rehash in some way so whatever... plus, don't put older games and rehashes in the same bucket... since new games are more likely to be rehashes ;) But even then...

I like old and new and everything in between.

It's a big part of my life... wouldn't want to be without it.

10) To expand upon the above, do you ever think or feel like you're tiring of it or just can't (or don't care to) keep up with it anymore? Why or why not?
I'll stop playing vidya when I'm dead.

11) If there is anything important you would like to add to this which is not covered, then please do so.
I'm hungry.

Now then:

normally i would say FPS, but recently, i've been playing a lot of third-person action games (AC3, SR: The Third primarily). i do a lot of gaming in different genres, so i don't really have one genre that i play either exclusively nor all the time.
well, it started with kid friendly platformers like Sonic and Mario back in the 90's. then, i discovered Quake and Unreal a couple of years later where i earned the "hs" part of my username (hs = headshot and has nothing to do with my real name). KOTOR was my first RPG, and Rome: Total War was my first strategy game.
i don't really rate any one genre as "better" than the other. i do enjoy my action games, but i've never been very picky.
i don't think that the gaming industry is running out of ideas, but i do think that they're scared to implement new ideas. there's not a lot of games out there that break new ground, and the simple reason is that its cheaper and safer to just rehash old games and put all your creative thinking into artwork and level design. if anything, the gaming industry is more evolutionary than revolutionary at this point.
mostly if i think that it will meet two factors: how much fun will i have, and how long will the game be able to sustain it?? a fun game that takes a couple of hours to complete just doesn't warrant me spending any money on it, and lets face it: if the game isn't fun, then what good is it?? i tend to prefer that all of my games have at least 30 hours of content in either multi or single player components. for story driven content, a strong single player is a must while multiplayer just simply needs to have strong core gameplay.
well, you might need to define "serious trouble", but i can say that my game playing is a pretty big issue for my parents since they don't see that gaming isn't much different from book reading or watching TV as entertainment. since i haven't lived with them for several years, though, they don't mention it much. my wife doesn't mind as long as i show a clear preference for her over the games (which i always try my best to do). otherwise, its really just about time management and recognizing that video games are just entertainment, and therefore, more important aspects of life such as work and relationships should take priority.
i don't mind a flashback or two, but if you're making a new game, at the very least: keep the gameplay modern. as for the classics themselves, well, i always enjoy a nice trip down memory lane from time to time.
i always like to see devs mixing things up and trying new ideas when it comes to a new series. when its an established franchise, i like to see some improvements over the original, and even potential game-changers are welcome.
well, for me its just entertainment. its a good way to use up some spare time as it helps keep the mind active, but i am increasingly having less and less time for entertainment in general. so, for now, my relationship is changing albeit not drastically.
well, its just a matter of the rhythms of life moving me on more than anything. i care, but again, games aren't a priority when compared things that affect my future.
i think most things are covered, and this survey has inexplicably made me hungry....

1) RPGs mostly, but action/adventure games take up quite some of my time as well. Least... FPS games, probably. Actually, now that I think of it, haven't played one in ages.

2) I got exposed to most of the genres from an early age. Age of Empires was my first real game, so Strategy games first. My favorite genre, RPGs, I only discovered through KotOR (God bless it).

3) I tend to be really looking for games that have a story to tell and have likeable characters. In the past, that would almost always be RPGs, so that's why it's my favorite, I think.

4) Maybe a few years ago I'd have said yes, but looking at growing Indie market with some really fascinating games and the Kickstarter hype getting us some innovative games as well, I'm not really worried. Heck, even the big companies still try something risky from time to time.

5) It's gotta be fun.

6) I don't see how... Do you mean in the sense of being close to addicted or neglecting your life because of a game? No on both accounts, by the way.

7) I often find it hard to play older games, do if it's really worth it, I do try.

8) I caress them as if they were a loved one. No wait, forget that.

9) I caress them as if... STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!

10) Not sure. There have been times I played less games, but now and again, I really get into it again. I haven't had those moments of wonder I had when I was younger, playing Age of Empires or the first KotOR, games that really came as a revelation of sorts. But I do still play lots of games, hoping to recapture that feeling (and I've been close, once in a while).

Now then:

RPG - Most

Most all others - least

2003 -RPG (KotOR being the first)

I don't rate one over the other, I just personally prefer RPGs and RPG hybrids over other games. I like the ability to at least to semi to make the playable character my own.

They have been writing books way longer than games and they haven't ran out of ideas for books yet.

Tougher question, because I really don't know. 1st I would say the type of game, but even though I love RPGs, I really don't buy that many of them. I don't want to say developer, but I seem to buy a lot of games made by BioWare, Obsidian Entertainment and Bethesda Softworks. I also have been know to purchase games based on what people told me around here.

Nope

No sure I understand the question. I will play any game that catches attention at that moment. Not all that old, but I make a point to play Jade Empire once a year. Beyond that I may pick up X-wing or Tie Fighter now and again to complete a few missions before deciding that I would rather play something new.

Same as the old games, it just depends on the game itself.

I don't have a relationship with gaming. I play games to waste time and for entertainment, I have relationships with people, not games.

Nope, it is entertainment, if I get bored with a game, I just change games. Much like if I get bored with a TV show I change the channel or turn it off until something better comes one. I will do the same with games once I get bored, I will quit until something comes out I want to play.

mass effect 3 ending isn't as bad a people say. :xp:

1) I haven't played too many FPS games lately. Action-adventure games are what I'm playing right now, and I'm trying to get my hands on some ye olde adventure games. :xp:

2) 1995 or 1996 - played Wolfenstein, my first ever game. Dark Forces soon followed, and just went from there.

3) I always look for a good story and a satisfying gameplay experience. That's probably why I've been looking at adventure games lately, as some popular games today don't exactly impress me with the story.

4) Run out of ideas? No. I blame the current community; people keep buying CoD and Halo every year, despite the fact that they're basically the same games. But companies need a profit, so they do exactly what works.

5) It must interest me and not be hyped to the point it's all I hear about. I say the latter because I found Halo to be mediocre at best, so I've kind of developed an aversion for uber-popular games lately, unless it's Nintendo made. I trust Nintendo to a fault. ;)

6) No.

7) I get nostalgia, and sometimes I find them better than games of today. Generally speaking, my personal rule is that if it was made in the 90s and well-received, then it is better than most of today's games.

8) Pretty good games, though they can't match the quality of games from my youth. I will admit to looking down on some modern FPS games, since they're being milked so much, and my previously stated bad experience, though do attempt to be objective.

9) Something to alleviate my boredom. The problem is, I'm always bored.

10) Not really. I get bored with a game, I get another one. I see a game from a series I like, I buy it. If I think it's one of the best ever, then I replay it.

11) Why did I not like Halo and everyone else found it amazing?

1) RPG and strategy mostly. Football managers when I'm really bored. Least: FPS and survival.

2) First RPG: Planescape Torment. First strategy: Age of Empires.

3) Hours and hours of fun (especially open world RPG's) and when combined with an entertaining story make it a very interesting and replayable game.

4) No, but thanks to the current trend of FPS and "action RPG's" they might as well be.

5) Fun factor, entertaining story, not-too-console-like UI, not too pricey, and a refund option. :)

6) If you mean "Do you spend a lot of time playing games and neglect you duties because of it?" then the answer is, unfortunately, yes.

7) I enjoy playing older games, especially if there are texture mods that make the game more "up-to-date" in terms of graphics.

8) Can't hold a candle to older games, so only interested in a very select few.

9) Entertainment and to pass the time. Unfortunately, I have a lot of free time on my hands.

10) Not really. I can easily replay older games, so I don't think I'll get tired of it any time soon.

11) As long as there are talented modders out there gaming will never die, no matter how much crap games we're served up these days.

Perhaps some of this needs clarification. So much for the simple approach. :dozey:

The rest of the questions (below) are so you may elaborate. At your liberty entirely you may answer some or all...or none, even.

Basically: If it makes you uncomfortable, don't answer it.

In context: seriousness of trouble varies in degrees and from person to person.

To make this objective, serious trouble is meant as in financial, personal responsibility, employment, health, family & friends, (and possibly at an extreme) legal.

This arose after coming across several reports over the past decade about problems with vidya addiction.

EDIT: I'm glad to see none of you are in that category! :)

These questions were meant to parallel each other in opposing fashion. Suppose it'd make more sense if I put the new before the old? Maybe, maybe not...

I'm not so much lumping in rehash and older games, but I am implying familiarity.

I suppose it'd be fair to ask if you tend to stick with older games, or are more about what's new in your playing.

I was really scratching my head at some of your answers on this one. This is meant as a gauge for your history with gaming as a whole, NOT to compare VG playing to social interaction with other people. Nor imply that it replaces socializing--that's not healthy. Vidya cannot interact as the living does.

Context: "Relationship" here for lack of a better analogy, can be likened to how well one does with, say, subjects in school. Or equations to theories of operation in technical literature. Or a tribesman and his land; a swordsman and his blades; a gunman and his guns.

The answers given here generally were what I was looking for, surprisingly enough. The context was supplement to above #10, but no matter. I'd meant it in the sense of where are you in life with gaming...where you're going...where you've been.

I suppose #9 could be ignored... :wonder:

@stingerhs & Lynk...Hungry? Seriously?

Well, I was baking some cookies and was running back and forth between my screen and the oven.

Fun idea...

Pretty much only play (just a few) RPG's.

Since Ocarina of Time came out. What was that, 1998?

IMO not a chance. It's the same way with film: there are always tons of "conventional" films that follow a standard that has been set at some point. Eventually, a good film comes out and breaks the mold. There will always be something new and surprising.

Archived