Home

The Outlander Club Favourite Game of 2012

Sabretooth

What is/are your favourite game(s) of 2012?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What is/are your favourite game(s) of 2012?

• Assassin's Creed III
    • Borderlands 2
    • Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    • Diablo III
    • Dishonored
    • Far Cry 3
    • Guild Wars 2
    • Halo 4
    • Hitman: Absolution
    • Hotline Miami
    • Journey
    • Mark of the Ninja
    • Mass Effect 3
    • Max Payne 3
    • Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
    • Sleeping Dogs
    • Spec Ops: The Line
    • The Walking Dead
    • Torchlight 2
    • XCOM: Enemy Unknown

OOoooooshiaat. It's the Outlander Club Favourite Game of the Year 2012, the most prestigious video games award in the industry!

Please vote for your favorite game of 2012, you can vote for as many as you want, but please limit it to three choices.

Games have mostly been chosen for their popularity and critical success. Since this a multi-platform poll, re-releases and delayed ports have been omitted.

Past Winners

2010 - Mass Effect 2

Runner-up - Fallout: New Vegas

Rejects (winner Amnesia: The Dark Descent)

2011 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Runner-up - Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Portal 2

Rejects (winner Dead Space 2)

Is it a bad thing if I haven't actually played any of the games on there? I voted for The Walking Dead, just because I watched a playthrough of it, and it could get quite emotional at times. I'll be surprised if it doesn't come close to winning Game of the Year in some other circles.

so far, there hasn't been any real big games this year, at least in the "Amazing" department. there's been plenty of blockbusters like ME3, Halo 4, and AC3. now don't get me wrong, those games have been very, very good, but there just hasn't been that game that just blew me out of the water this year. i can think back to my favorite games of the past couple of years like Shogun 2: Total War, Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, The Witcher 2, and even prequels to this year's crop like Mass Effect 2 or Assassin's Creed 2, and the games that have come out this year just don't measure up as well.

this is going to sound weird, but the most fun i've had with a game this year isn't even on this list: Forza Horizon. its the best open world driving game bar none. the cars drive pretty closely to real cars, the backdrop of Colorado is spectacular, and they just flat out treat cars right. its the most fun i've had all year with a video game, and that's why it gets my top vote.

however, Horizon still doesn't quite reach the lofty standards of the past couple of years. just my 2 pennies. ;)

The Walking Dead for me. It probably wouldn't have been my GOTY in a different year, but like others have said there weren't as many standout titles for me this year. I loved that game though and I think it's deserved all the praise it's gotten.

After that it's probably Halo 4. Not sure about the order of the rest of my top games yet.

P.S. people that chose ME3 are you sure you didn't misread the thread as most disappointing game? ;)

As always, only played one or two from that list. A lot on that list are games that were in some way disappointing and since there isn't really a standout game, I don't feel too bad choosing AC3 (and I picked Guild Wars 2 just for the hell of it, thought it deserved a vote).

This really has been a sorry year if Mass Effect 3 ends up winning :xp:

Guess what I voted for..... :D

I thought it was a great game and could have been my favorite of all time, had I stopped playing before the last elevator ride. Still of all the games on the list, it is my favorite, mainly because it is the only one I played.

Dishonored is a definite winner for me, followed closely by Max Payne 3 and Borderlands 2. I can't in good conscience vote for AC3, as I (like many others) have only recently started playing it. And as much as I'd like to give the new Hitman a vote, I haven't played it yet. I've played a few more games on that list and although most of them were quite entertaining, I wouldn't count them as GOTY material.

I can't help but agree with this one.

mim needs to play more vidya.

AC3 is deserving of winning for the year. After Revelations, Ubisoft set the series back on a much more interesting path and things felt a lot more fresh.

Personally, I'd like to see Borderlands 2 win, but that's much too niche to win so *shrugs* oh well.

Voted for The Walking Dead, XCOM and Dishonored myself.

The Walking Dead was outstanding storytelling and as Gamasutra agrees, a complete step up for the point-and-click adventure game genre.

XCOM had the most fun, punchy gameplay this year. I couldn't believe while playing it that this is a modern, 2012 game - tactical turn-based games can still be made in this day and age, who would've thought!

Dishonored had amazing art and immersiveness, and the gameplay was pretty good. My only problem with it is that the story turns out a bit disappointing, and you sort of hit a plateau so that you aren't ever further challenged - a shame considering its influences Deus Ex and Thief were intelligent at upping the ante and leaving you a bit short-handed.

Dammit, I thought you'd already have voted for it when it had 6 votes. Now it has effing 8. Yeah, I'm with Lynk on this.

I can't help but agree with this one.

Ditto. And since I only played ME3 and Sleeping Dogs out of all of them, my vote goes to Hong Kong. :)

• 1 month later...

Poll's ended and the Club has spoken. The Outlanders' favourite game of 2012 was... drrrrrrr...

Mass Effect 3

Shouldn't be surprised there, this is, after all, the KotOR forum.

The runner-up for 2012 is Assassin's Creed III. A bit of a surprise for me, but I suppose not for most of you voted for it.

Archived