Home

Monkdey

¿Should the game have voices?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. ¿Should the game have voices?

• Yes. It gives it a nice touch
    • I don't really know
    • No, I like classical style

Hi! this is my first post on this forum :) excuse me if I have any mistake, English isn't my first language.

For the last month, I've been thinking about a Monkey Island fangame. I already posted this in the TellTale forums and nobody answered, so I thought you all in this forum could help me. It's a little idea, and it would take a lot of work, but maybe we can do something. The game would take place between EMI and an imaginary MI5 (where Guybrush gets all the ingredients for the Cursed Cutlass of Kaflu), and in each chapter you play a different character.

It's called Monkey Stories because, although there will be one or two chapters in Monkey Island, only in one chapter you play as Guybrush Threepwood. But he isn't in his body: he's been body-changed with a pirate called Jean Drake, but a bad one: he steals treasures and kills people just for fun. Who did this body-change? The mad voodoo-scientist Jose Gonzalez, who was a mad scientist and discovered the voodoo magics. He went totally crazy and now combines the best of science and voodoo, but not for doing good things: he's MAD and EVIL. Just like DeSinge, but Gonzalez is spanish instead of french and he believes in voodoo. He worked a lot for his final project: the Body-Change spell. He tries it with a "pirate hero" and a "bad pirate", but it goes bad: now Guybrush has his "mind" or personality in Jean Drake's body, but some of Drake's personality is still there: he is incited to do bad things, steal things and kill people. So Guybrush is the main villain (in another body), and all the stories are connected with him. (BTW Jean Drake is a nod to Jean Lafitte and Francis Drake, famous pirates)

I'm planning to have Wally, HT Marley/Herman, Lemonhead, Jean Drake with Murray as his sidekick, and Jojo Jr as playable characters. Each chapter and each character story (hence the Monkey STORIES name) is different, but in the end they all connect.

WALLY: He hears rumours of a lost island with a secret or treasure that nobody knows what it is. Lots of people went there and never returned. He sails in the Jolly Rasta with Captain Dread to another islands (Jambalaya, Melee and Plunder) to find information about this island, and he finds pieces of a important-looking letter (broken in 4 pieces) in each island. When he finds the third piece the chapter ends.

JOJO JR: Monkey Island now honours its name: it's only poblated by MONKEYS. Hundred of monkeys have huge parties every day, it's THEIR island. The Monkey Head isn't there, and there isn't any sign or cannibals or castaways. Even the Monkey Kombat's been eliminated!

But things change when Jojo Jr, leader of the Monkey Army, falls into a well that had water, but the water level went down and he fell into a deep, deep hole, while dancing. There he finds a chest with a paper inside: it has some drawings that describe a strange machine or device. When he climbs up, he shows it to the monkeys and they try to understand what the drawing and the annotations next to it means: it seems like some machine done by the cannibals a long, long time ago. Jojo must go to Blood Island, new home of the cannibals and tell them.

HT MARLEY: Now he is the Governor of Melee Island, and he has a problem: a lot of things are being stolen by a unknown thief, and even the SCUMM Bar (it's rebuilt) chef was murdered. He has to find who's doing all that mess on Melee. In the end, he finally gets the thief and murderer (Jean Drake) but he jumps to the deep sea and doesn't come back. What happened to him? And an important question: What happened to Elaine? And how's Jean Drake doing in Threepwood's body?

LEMONHEAD: His friends left him alone in that dark and lonely island (Blood) with Mort, Goodsoup and Madame Xima as his only company. One day, a little monkey comes to talk with him about this cannibal secret. He travells to Monkey Island to help the monkey, and finds stunning information about Monkey Island, its monkeys and cannibals, and the mystery island that Wally is searching.

JEAN DRAKE & MURRAY: The end is coming. We finally play as Guybrush, now in JD body. The chapter starts with the end of HT Marley's chapter, and we must find a way to get out of the sea without returning to Melee. In his way, he finds Murray

There will be a last chapter where all the questions are answered, Elaine appears and the game ends.

The chapters can't be really long, so maybe some things can be simplified or just wiped from the game.

Long story short: LeChuck is dead. Nobody knows where Elaine is, and the Voodoo Lady is taking a long break, so she doesn't know about Jose Gonzalez and his evil spells with Guybrush. It's time to play as secondary characters!

As you see, I got the story, but I'll be needing help with the art. I draw very bad, so I need the characters and backgrounds. Maybe we can do a cartoonish style, a mix of the CoMI art and the MI:SE art. But I'm not really sure, so we can discuss that later.

I made some music for the game: it's very bad, it's simple and it's in low quality, but maybe it can fit in the game. Downloads: Final Battle and Woodtick Theme. (don't mind the "for TTG forums" part)

I'm doing a poll asking if the game should have voices or not. I mean, it's not in the first two Monkeys style, but it's a fangame, so maybe it's complicated to find voices for every character. I'm not sure.

Oh, and a last thing: the game should have references to all the Monkey's. Obviously it can't be full of them because it would feel like a recycled game, but I'm planning to use some cool lines like "Papappishu", "ahoy there, fancy pants!" (melee shopkeeper), "that is the second ____est _____ I've ever seen!", "Feed him to the Jungle Beast!" or "I’m happy as a penguin sliding on his belly". This one could go to the scientist Gonzalez, because he is like DeSinge, only a little more... manly.

Maybe we can put some references as backstory of ToMI, e.g some guy that met Santino a long time ago or something about Winslow, etc.

I even thought up something similar to the Guybrush-Woodsmith lines in LR:

I think that the thought I’m thinking is the thought you thought I was thinking when _______

I think that I know the thought that you’re thinking, because I think the thought I’m thinking seems like the same thought that I thought you were thinking when _________

I think that the thought you’re thinking isn’t the same thought that you think I think when you say that the thought you’re thinking seems like the same thought that you thought I was thinking when _______

I think you should shut up.

I think that the thought you are th-

STOP! JUST STOP!

I don't know where to put that joke, but it has to be between two characters that already met, they are talking of something that happened before, and the main character thought that the other character thought something in that moment and bla bla bla.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to explain it . If someone wants to help or has any question, just ask here. I'm willing to answer, and I need help for this project. It's really big.

Hi there

Welcome to the forum. :)

Its great to see somebody with so much enthusiasm over the Monkey Island series, but I can probably tell you why you haven't had any response from here or the TellTale forums.

Every day there are numerous fan projects that are spoken about, and allegedly started, but end up going nowhere fast. There are too many failed projects to count.

If you are serious about making a game, then you need to show that you can bring something to the table. You spoke about what you would like to see IN the game... but there isn't a single mention about HOW any of this gets into the game?

Are you a programmer? A musician? a graphics artist? Have you ever made anything before? Do you have any examples of your work that would show people that you are serious about the project?

If you can shed a little more light on the creation process and what you can bring to the table, you may find you get some more interest.

I unfortunately am guilty of being part of a project that went nowhere. It was called "The Adventures of Jim Sidelong : Marooned". I wrote the initial concept and story back in 2004, and along with a graphics artist we used both Visionaire Studio and WinterMute Engine to build prototypes of our game.

We had a lot of support and interest in the title, but it went by the wayside as jobs, babies and wives came along etc.... Nearly 9 years on we have decided to start looking into building the project again... 9 years older, 9 years more skilled and wiser.... watch this space! lol... but don't hold your breath ;)

I wish you well in your endeavour.

Revvin

Archived