Home

The Promise

Fury-Class Imperial Interceptor

En route to Medical Station one

Vette was having trouble stopping the flood of tears that were cascading down her face as she looked down at her husband's broken body. He was known as the "Emperor's Wrath" to the majority of the Sith Empire...As far as she knew, only she was allowed to call him by his true name: Toryal.

"It can't end like this..." She whispered to herself as she got down on her knees next to the bed and wrapped her arm around his chest. "You can't die! Not like this!"

She heard the sound of footseps behind her and a gentle but firm voice cut through her grief for a moment. "I'm sorry Vette, but the only way he can make it is if he holds on until we reach the medical station."

Vette turned around to see the former Jedi Padawan Jaesa Willsaam looking down at Torya's body. "The fight against Baras was long and brutal. He wasn't a Dark Council member for nothing, in fact, I'm shocked he was able to make it back to the ship at all after the battle."

Vette shook her head as she turned her attention back to Toryal and buried her head in his battle-worn armor. "I...I just can't believe it might end like this! He saved my life so many times on so many different worlds...He can't die like this! she sobbed.

Jaesa hesitantly placed one of her hands on Vette's shoulder. "We're only half a day away from the Medical Station. If we keep giving him kolto injections and if the force is with us there's a chance we might make it in time."

Vette couldn't stop the flow of tears. "He promised me he'd come back." She sobbed quetly. "Before we got to Korriban...he promised me that he'd come back...and we could travel to wherever I wanted to go. He told me there would be no Imperials, No Sith, no one trying to kill us...it would just be me and him finally enjoying ourselves."

Jaesa smiled sadly as she looked down at the Twi'lek. "I was there Vette, when he was fighting Baras. I fought alongside him. The battle between the two of them shook the academy, your husband fought with honor and in the end, he decided to spare Baras."

Vette continued hugging her husband's body. "He never acted like a typical sith," She whispered. "He may have acted tought but he was always kind to me, always looking for a way to cheer me up when I was sad."

"He even helped me find my mother. He comforted me when we found out what had happend to her and he talked my sister out of going after her killer." Vette turned and looked up at Jaesa. "He was one of the kindest people I knew and this had to happen to him! It's not fair!"

Jaesa gently tried to pull Vette away from Toryal but the Twi'lek wouldn't budge. "The...The day before we reached Korriban...I told him that I loved him...and he said that he loved me back. He told me that he'd always loved me."

Vette continued crying and her eyes widened in fear as two of the monitors began to flash red and an urgent beeping filled the medbay. "What's happening?!"

Jaesa ran to the monitors and checked the readings on the monitors. Jaesa grabbed a small hypospray and injected it into Toryal's neck. Both of the monitors stopped flashing and the beeping stopped as his vital signs stabilized.

Jaesa checked the medbay computers and shook her head. "His heart almost gave out from the stress his body is currently under. And that was the last of the kolto. I told him we should have resupplied the last time we were at the spacedock but he was determined to stop Baras as soon as he could."

Vette turned back to Toryal. "Don't die..." she whispered. "You promised me that you'd come back. Just please...don't die."

Jaeas was about to say something comforting to vette when the ship suddenly began to shake slightly. The two of them looked up as the ship seemed to accelerate slightly.

"Attention. This is Malavai Quinn." the voice echoed throughout the ship. "We have diverted power from the shields, weapons and life support to the engines. At present speed we should arrive at our destination in two hours."

Vette turned to look up at Jaesa and a smiled appeared behind the flood of tears that were starting to stop.

Jaesa smiled back. "It looks like the force is finally with us for a change. I'm going to check the cargo bay to see if we have anything stored back there that can help. You stay here and keep an eye on him."

Vette nodded and looked back at Toryal. Hold on...Please just hold on for a little while longer. She thought.

One Day later

Medical Station One

"Uhhhhh..." Toryal muttered as his eyes opened for what seemed to be the first time in quite awhile. Oh...by the force my head is killing me...so are my arms for that matter, and my ribs.

The first thing that he noticed was that the majority of his chest was wrapped in bandages and that there were two kolto pumps attached to his left arm.

Did Baras really manage to do this much damage? I must have underestimated the old man.

The second thing he noticed was the that there was a blue twi'lek sleeping in the bed next to him.

Vette...panic filled his heart for a moment. Is she...Is she hurt?!

No...he thought as relief momentarily replaced the pain he was feeling. She was just sleeping.

"Vette." he muttered quietly. "I promised you that I would come back to you."

As he watched Vette sleep, he could help but think that a tiny smile had appeared on her face.

Wait a second..."Vette...have you been awake this entire time?"

Her voice was tired but it was filled with joy. "Yeah...I was just trying to sleep. You've been sleeping for nearly a day and a half, we were worried about you."

Vette's smile got bigger. "You promised that you'd come back to me, I just thought I'd make sure I'd be here when you woke up."

Toryal smiled as Vette reached for his right hand and she gently gripped it. The sith closed his larger hand around hers. "I'd never break my promise to you Vette, you mean the universe to me."

"And you mean the same to me." Vette whispered as she leaned over and kissed him.

• 2 weeks later...

((Wasn't really planning on continuing this but I'll give it a shot :) Also, nice to see you again BFA! :) And thanks to everyone who read this. :)))

((Mach, do yout think you could review this chapter as well when you get the chance?))

Two weeks later

Enroute to [Destination Classified]

Vette's breathing was slow and even as Toryal slowly got up out of the bed that they shared and stretched his body to try and get the feeling back in his arms. He looked down at the sleeping Twi'lek and a gentle smile appeared on his face as he leaned down and softly kissed her forehead before quietly walking away and heading for the bridge.

It had been two weeks since his final battle with his old master Darth Baras. The battle between the two of them had been violent enough that the Dark Council Chamber had sustained damage that would require weeks of repairs. In the end, Baras had been defeated but Toryal had chosen to spare his old master, not because he had forgiven him...but so that the Dark Council could have him answer for his crimes against the Sith Empire. Although he had emerged victorious, Toryal had been badly injured in the battle and for a short while the rest of his crew had thought that he wouldn't make it. It had been especally hard on Vette who's eyes had been red from the constant flow of tears.

But he had. And now that he was finally out of the medical facility he could concentrate on something other than the Empire and the constant scheming of the Dark Council.

He had promised Vette that now it was time for a vacation for the two of them. The rest of the crew had agreed. They had all been fighting for so long that even the bloodthirsty talz Broonmark had thought it would be a good idea to take a vacation.

He stopped and saw that Malavai Quinn was sitting in the pilot's seat and was reading an Imperial datapad.

"Good morning Quinn." Toryal said as he sat down in one of the other chairs and checked to make sure that the coordinates were still locked in. "Looks like we have a few more hours before we arrrive at our destination."

"Good morning my lord." Quinn greeted as he looked up from the datapad. "I was just reading up on Davelras and some of it's more famous attractions. Were you aware that they have three seperate museums that focus on the Empire? I'm looking foward to visiting them."

Toryal grinned as he leaned back in the chair. "I never thought I would see you actually look forward to a vacation Quinn. Everyone seems to be in high spirits. Jaesa is looking forward to studying some of the old ruins on the planet, Pierce seems to be looking forward to the blasting range and Broonmark says he's looking forward to hunting out in the forests."

The sith frowned for a moment. "At least I think thats what he said. He said something about hunting and forests, I have a bit of trouble understanding what he says sometimes."

Quinn nodded. "As long as he doesn't starting hunting sentients we should be alright."

Toryal smiled again as he heard light footsteps behind him and he felt a warm body pressed against the back of his head.

"So..." Vette asked casually, "When are you going to tell me where we're going?"

"You'll find out in a few hours." Toryal chuckled. "Don't worry though, I'm sure that you'll like it. I promised you a vacation that you'd enjoy Vette. Just trust me, your going to love it."

Vette couldn't help but smile. One of the things that she loved about Toryal was the fact that when he made a promise, he always came through on it no matter what the cost.

"I still can't believe you made the crew swear not to tell me." She said. "I can normally get Quinn and Jaesa to tell me anything but not this time."

Toryal got up out of the chair and stretched his arms before placing one of them on Vette's shoulders. "I did tell you I would make you breakfast as part of our vacation."

Vette smiled again as she leaned against Toryal as they headed for what passed as a kitchen on the ship.

"I would mind a Dantooine Omelette if it's not too much trouble." Vette yawned as she sat down at the table as Toryal began to crack the eggs and began to heat them up on the cooking unit. Vette deeply inhaled the smell of the cooking eggs and some of the spices that Toryal was using and smiled. She couldn't believe how much her life had turned around since being captured on Korriban nearly three months ago. When Baras had turned her over to Toryal, she had expected to be tortured, beaten and most likely killed when he was done using her to help him complete his trials.

Instead...he had removed her shock collar and had asked her if the shocks that the jailer had inflicted needed to be treated. At first Vette had thought that he was trying to seduce her but after a while, she had realized that he was generally worried about her...and a while after she had realized that he truly cared about her.

It had taken awhile but she had realized that she was able to return his feelings. When she had told Toryal that she loved him, the large Sith's face had actually turned beet red and had actually stammered.

The man who had faced down Jedi Masters, fought against some of the most terrifying beasts that the galaxy had to offer and had fought some of the most powerful sith in the empire...had never before known someone who truly loved him for who he was. He had told Vette that most of those who had tried to seduce him had been after power, or credits.

Vette knew she was different. She loved him for who he was and Toryal knew it. At times she had trouble believing that he was a sith, much less the Emperor's Wrath. He had a gentle nature...an sense of honor and refused to kill unless he was forced to defend herself or if he was left with no choice.

Who would have guessed that my knight in shining armor would be a sith...Sometimes I still have trouble believing it.

Vette looked up at Toryal as he finished the omelette and placed it on the table in front of her. Vette couldn't help but notice that he hadn't prepared anything for himself.

"Aren't you hungry?" Vette asked

Toryal shook his head and sat down next to her. "No, I plan on eating once we reach our destination. I may be keeping our destination a secret but I have heard that the food there is excellent."

Vette cut a piece of the omlette and smiled as she bit into it. "Wow! This is amazing!" she exclaimed. "What kind of spices did you add to this?"

The Emperor's Wrath smiled. "Sorry Vette, but thats my little secret."

Vette pouted for a moment and then lightly punched Toryal in the shoulder. Her husband laughed. "You're never going to tell me are you?"

Toryal smiled. "Maybe someday. Possibly after our vacation."

Vette laughed softly as she took another bite of the delicious breakfast dish. Toryal smiled down at her and was about to kiss her on the forhead when the intercom aboard the ship suddenly went off.

"My lord, this is Quinn. You are needed on the bridge at once. There is something important that requires your attention."

Toryal's eyes narrowed for a moment as he thought of what the problem could be. "I'll be right there Quinn." he said quietly as he turned to looked down at Vette again. "I take it your going to follow me to the bridge?"

Vette had already put the omlette down on the table and was already getting up. "You know it." She said with a smile.

((To be continued.))

• 2 weeks later...

Bridge

As soon as Toryal and Vette arrived on the bridge they could tell that Quinn had been busy. A few of the consoles were missing their covers and it looked like Quinn was going to try and pull the covers off the rest of them. Quinn looked up at them and shook his head as he held up a small round blinking device.

"We're being tracked." Quinn said quietly. "I don't know how they got this tracker aboard the ship. The last time I checked for tracking devices was a few days before we confronted Darth Baras. As far as I know, there hasn't been anyone aboard this ship besides our crew since then. It was lodged on the inside of the weapon's console. The only reason I was able to find it was because it was interfering with a weapons systems test. I opened up the console to see if a wire was loose and there it was."

Toryal walked over as Quinn held the device outward to he could grab it. Toryal took the offered device and took a look at it. Something about it felt...familiar. Almost as though he had once encountered the one who had created it. "This is a standard issue imperial tracking device." He said as Quinn nodded. "It looks as though it's seen a bit of wear and tear though." He said thoughtfully as he looked at the device which was covered with small dents and scratches.

"Something needs to be done about this My Lord." Quinn said as he sat down at the pilot's console and entered a few commands. "I think it's safe to assume that whoever planted this knows that we've found it. I'm going to run a scan of our computer systems and see if we there are any more possibe devices lodged in the consoles. Should we change course?"

Toryal looked at Vette who was looking down at the floor. Although he couldn't see her face he could tell that she was upset by what was happening by the way her Lekku were slightly shaking.

"Take us out of hyperspace." He said with a sigh. He hated it when Vette was disappointed but he didn't want her to get hurt somehow. He turned to look at Vette. "I'm sorry Vette, I promise that I'll make this up to you somehow."

Vette looked up with a small smile on her face. "I know you will."

Toryal smiled at her and than looked over at Quinn. "Bring us about and set course for Dromund Kaas orbital station and engage the hyperdrive when ready. I think it would be best as if we lock down the ship as soon as we arrive at the station."

Quinn had just entered the coordinates and was about to engage the hyperdrive when the entire pilot's console suddenly flashed once and went dark. The ship suddenly began to turn and one of the displays on the wall showed that a new set of coordinates was being transfered to the main computer.

Quinn wasn't wasting time with the non-responsive helm, instead he was moving towards the auxillary control panel which was quickly starting to flash. "My Lord, sensors are not showing us where we're going. As far as I can tell, we're flying blind."

Toryal was about to respond when the intercomn suddenly activated. Toryal froze for a moment as his mind raced to try and place the voice...but he couldn't. It was familiar though.

"Do you remember me Wrath?" The voice asked mockingly. "No...of course you don't. After all, you've fought and killed so many since your humble beginings on Korriban."

That voice...I can't place it! Toryal thought as his hand went down to his lightsaber.

"Before you try to sense me you should know that I'm currently not aboard your ship. I was able to hack your communications systems. Remember my voice Wrath. Sooner or later, you will remember me."

The intercomn abruptly turned off and Toryal looked at Quinn and Vette. "We need to search the ship." Toryal said abruptly. "Vette, get the rest of the crew to search the ship for any more devices. Quinn. Try and find where he's hacking into the ship from and take back control."

Vette turned and headed for the dormitories while Quinn turned to look at Toryal. "My Lord...what will you be doing?"

Toryal was headed for the cargo bay but he turned to look back at him.

"Preparing." He said quietly as he turned and left the bridge.

"humble beginnings on Korriban,".... Hmm. Interesting. I haven't played much of TOR yet (I've only just started a fortnight ago) so I don't know if I may be wrong or not, but if Toryal is an Inquisitor, I wouldn't put it passed that voice to be Overseer Harkon. I hated that douche. Haha.

I'm not used to seeing Sith be all 'touchy, feely'! It's creepy! But in a good way (if 'creepy' can be interpreted in a good way :p lol)

Its a good read so far, only a few minor errors, like: 'wouldn't mind a Dantooine Omlette.' And... 'a sense of honor.' And my favorite.... 'and wouldn't kill unless he was forced to defend herself.' I'm assuming it should be himself? :p

But other than that, Chev, a nice start to a hopefully long story here! Good work!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work. :) I haven't played through much of the Empire side in TOR, but reading this makes me want to now. Have to say I had a chuckle at imagining a Sith even thinking about going on vacation, but suppose even they have to take a break now and then. :p But like previous comments, these characters aren't typical Sith so good on them for getting some other enjoyment instead of slay, slay, slay all day.

Like the creation of the Dantooine Omlette. Wouldn't mind having one of those myself....

*goes off in search of a snack*

((Thanks for the reviews everyone! Here's the next part, where the villian behind this misfortune will be revealed.))

Toryal's Quarters

Toryal looked at himself in the mirror as he strapped his lightsabers to his belt. It had been a while since he had worn his armor and it was something that he hated doing. He knew that as the Emperor's Wrath he would eventually be wear the armor but he hadn't expected it to be so soon after the defeat of Darth Baras.

It seems my life is to be one of constant battles. He thought as he closed the security chest and locked it. He looked out at the dimly light main hold and shook his head. He could sense the emotions of the crew.

Broonmark was looking forward to the coming battle with a savage bloodlust. Toryal could sense the Talz's intent to kill and knew that he would have to be watched carefully. Jaesa on the other hand was nervous and Toryal didn't blame her. If someone was intelligent to somehow hack the ship's computer and bypass the security then he knew that this foe would most likely have traps ready and waiting for them.

Pierce and Quinn were both determined and ready to face the enemy but that was where the similarities ended. Pierce was readying himself by checking his weapons and preparing his personal shield generator. Quinn was readying his kolto packs and checking his blaster pistol to make sure it hadn't been tampered with.

And Vette...his beloved Vette was checking her small pack of grenades and her blaster pistols. But Toryal could sense her fear. She had told him a bit earlier that she had recognized the voice as well but she couldn't place it either.

Korriban...Toryal thought as he left the room and headed for the bridge. It has to have been someone when I first began my training on Korriban. I made many enemies there but all of them are dead.

He shook his head and smiled grimly. Obviously one of them had survived. Toryal knew that many of his rivals had wanted him dead and he knew that more then a few Jedi wouldn't mind taking him into custody for his actions. He had been forced to fight and kill both jedi and sith in the past.

But the voice...the voice was so familiar. He could almost place the name but each time he tried it would always vanish back into the depths of his mind and would reappear hours later.

As he arrived on the bridge he could see Quinn trying to override the controls with no success. Quinn looked up at him and shook his head.

"I'm sorry My Lord. But there seems to be no way to override the navigational controls. I have managed to get our sensors and limited weapons control back but thats it."

"You've done well Quinn. At least you managed to get some of the systems back online." He turned to look out the viewport as the ship shook lightly. Quinn looked up at him. "It appears that we're about to come out of Hyperspace."

Toryal nodded and watched as the lines of stars disappeared and were replaced by some sort of space station that looked as if it had seen better days. There were blaster marks all over the outside and it looked as if it had taken a few serious concussion missle hits.

"Do you recognize this station Quinn?"

"No my lord. However it is possible that this may be some sort of pirate station. As far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be any life signs aboard but we are getting some interference from the station itself."

A sudden beeping started.

"Incoming message over the holofrequency."

Toryal turned and headed for the center hold where the rest of the crew had gathered. The sith stood next to Vette and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry Vette, I promise you we'll get out of this." He whispered to her.

The holographic image of a man with a cloak over his head appeared on the display. Toryal looked closely at the man. He was wearing sith battle armor that looked very familiar but the cloak was covering his face.

"Wrath. Do you remember me now?" The man asked mockingly.

Toryal narrowed his eyes. "No. Your voice is familiar...very familiar but I don't recognize you."

The holographic image turned to look at Vette. "Perhaps you remember me. After all, you were supposed to guide me."

Vette and Toryal's eyes both widened as it finally clicked. Vette shook her head. "No...No your dead! I watched him kill you!"

Toryal watched as the image pulled the cloak back. His head was lined with cybernetic implants and had a scar going down the left side of his face. But Toryal recognized him instantly.

"Vemrin."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

((Sorry for the wait. Hope you all enjoy this chapter))

"Vemrin"

Broonmark and Jaesa both looked at him with confused looks on their faces while Quinn narrowed his eyes. Pierce clenched his fists together as he watched the image smile.

"You should have made sure I was dead before you left me in that tomb Wrath. I will admit that you left me badly wounded but I was still alive. I did more than survive Wrath...I thrived in that force forsaken tomb. I became stronger than I could have dreamed of becoming as Baras's apprentice."

Toryal narrowed his eyes. "That tomb was full of sith who were fighting amongst themselves to prove themselves worthy of becoming sith. The only thing of value in the tomb was the lightsaber that I retrieved. By all rights you should have died if a single acolyte had seen you in your wounded state."

Vemrin laughed for a moment and for just a moment...Toryal thought he could see something in Vemrin's eyes...something that disturbed him deeply.

"You found what you knew was there. You took it and you left without exploring the tomb. I was alone in that tomb for nearly four days. I was forced to sustain myself using the force. I was near death when I found this." The holographic image of Vemrin reached down and pulled a small triangular object off of his belt and he laughed again.

"A holocron." Toryal muttered as he turned to look at Vette who Vemrin was staring at. Vette was trying not to make eye contact with him. She knew what would have happend if it was Vemrin who had triumphed at the end of the trials. She would have been killed as soon as she had completed her task and she knew it.

"Vemrin. I suggest that you stop staring at her and focus on me. What did you learn from the Holocron? And how exactly did you escape Korriban without being killed?"

Vemrin laughed. "I learned. I learned techniques that even the most powerful sith would think twice about using. Using one of these techniques I was able to drain the life force of everyone who was in that tomb in less than an hour. I became strong...Stronger then I have ever been."

Toryal's eyes narrowed again as a sudden thought went through his mind as he remembered a datapad that he had read back in the academy. Is it possible that he did more then drain the life away from the others?

"Vemrin...what did you do? What else did you drain besides the life force of the others?" He asked quietly. The Emperor's Wrath was getting slightly nervous. Was it possible that the holocron that Vermrin had found was the one that the Sith had been seaching for for years?"

Vemrin paused for a moment as though he was hearing another person's voice before turning to look at Toryal. "I can hear them all in my mind...all the time. Their cries of despair and terror as they their life was drained away. I did more than take their strength."

Vemrin laughed.

"I absorbed their souls."

Toryal shook his head. "You've gone mad Vemrin. You should have just stayed in that tomb because now I have no choice but to stop you. What you have done could destroy the Empire if someone else finds that holocron." He turned to look at Quinn.

"You said our weapons system were partially back online. Bring them online and blast us a way into that station. Whatever the cost. We need to stop him before he escapes."

• 2 weeks later...

Vemrin and his new toys!

I'm playing through as a Juggernaught at the moment and by Jebus its fun!

Your updates seem to be a sporadic as mine it seems haha. Time and other commitments getting in the way, eh?

Good update though. No mistakes as far as I could see.

Archived