Home

Shooting in Newtown, CT, 20 children and 6 Adults Dead

Scorge

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14/shooting-reported-at-connecticut-elementary-school/?hpt=hp_t1

This is absolutely unbelievable, its so sad to hear about his, a 24 year old shooting kids from 1st to 4th grade. Especially adults, whom saved many of the children during the shooting. I couldn't help but cry about this, as did our President of the United States, Barack Obama. Most [Or All] of those adults whose children died during the shooting probably hoped to see their children have joy on their faces when opening Christmas presents. This is such a tragedy. God bless of of these people who died during the shooting, R.I.P

EDIT: Can a mod move this to Kavar's Corner? And when moving fix New Town to Newtown

Don't get me started on how I feel about Obama's reaction to this.

I for one, am more angry than sad that this sadistic ****ing piece of **** killed 20 children - who were looking forward for Christmas and enjoying life. Why would someone do that? It's ****ing sick and just plain wrong and horrifying.

What do you mean?

He pretends to cry about the school shooting, yet he has no qualms about bombing innocent men, women, and children in Pakistan, Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Palestine.

It isn't my attention to shift the discussion. Give your replies and then try to bring it back to the topic at hand.

Can't imagine how it must be for Ryan Lanza. Dude got ID'd initially and his name (and Facebook profile pic) plastered on websites and newspapers all over the world. Internet hate machine started systematically demolishing his life, and THEN it turns out it was his autistic younger brother who did the shooting.

Imagine that, sitting in your office with a CNN tab open, and suddenly the newscaster announces the suspect as you. I imagine more than a few liquids would trade places.

It's a tragedy for every possible person involved.

Don't ya just love the "blame game".... :rolleyes: More grist for the gun control debate, though, I'm guessing (what w/the recent mall shooting). Still, as the incident in China points out, take away peoples' access to guns somehow and any sickos will still find a way to get their victims (knives, bombs, etc...).

@sabre--the not swooning over Tali post was kind of funny.

@purifier--yes, it is sad. Damn shame these shooters don't try that crap vs armed people who can help them suicide w/much less to no collateral damage. That said, if they can't self-commit, damn shame they just don't take themselves out w/o killing others. But, then I guess they'd just be suicidally depressed and not bat**** crazy.

Jeez, since Columbine, it's like the fashionable way for troubled people to kill themselves is to have a rampage in an educational institute.

With more and more of these happening, and media coverage of them, I fear It's only going to get worse.

My condolences to everyone involved in this. I can't imagine what it must be like for the children who saw their peers be murdered. :(

Disturbing to say the least. Some of the victims this time were too young, waaaay too young. Hope to god these shootings aren't going to be a trend. All of this is starting to get depressing.

It's sad, but I find that any life, no matter what age, ended by being shot is very sad. I hope someday the USA will vote for far more controle on the selling of guns.

It won't stop hard criminals getting their gear, but it would make it far more difficult. I think it would also put a big stop to these tragic blind rage shootings, depressed and stressed people do.

Don't ya just love the "blame game".... :rolleyes: More grist for the gun control debate, though, I'm guessing (what w/the recent mall shooting). Still, as the incident in China points out, take away peoples' access to guns somehow and any sickos will still find a way to get their victims (knives, bombs, etc...).

Certain people will always find a way to harm others. But at least you can make it damn difficult for them to get lethal equipment. So that they don't massacre a whole class. Like I said above, it would stop these people in emotional turmoil to do something this bad.

But, then I guess they'd just be suicidally depressed and not bat**** crazy.

I fought with severe depression a few months back. At certain times I felt a lot of rage against myself, but also just the world outside. I can tell you it was a very strong feeling. I wasn't completely myself either. I wouldn't have put a button for a bomb under my finger at that time.

Anyway, enough of about me.

I feel for the families. Hope they my find some piece and anwsers after the media storm.

@Shem--yeah, saw something about that a few moments ago. It's unfortunate that it's often impossible to know what will ultimately set someone off, whatever their mental state. All you can do is watch for clues and hope to catch it before it goes too far.

@Quanon--problem with gun control is that it doesn't really work very well. Taking into consideration that gun ownership (like free speech) is in the Constitution, arguments for and against it become quite heated here. Also, when you consider how poorly prohibition worked (never mind the current "war on drugs"), too much regulation would likely lead to a thriving black market for guns. Anyway, sorry to hear about your bout, but good to know you've weathered it intact. Hope it's behind you and that these families can find some measure of peace down the road.

@Quanon--problem with gun control is that it doesn't really work very well. Taking into consideration that gun ownership (like free speech) is in the Constitution, arguments for and against it become quite heated here. Also, when you consider how poorly prohibition worked (never mind the current "war on drugs"), too much regulation would likely lead to a thriving black market for guns.

Mhm, I know it's a hot 'pickle' in the US to talk about guns. And what to do with it legaly. And true, it won't stop it all, prohibition being a nice example of taking it to far. Though it was a differant time. There's more involved then only these tragic shootings. There's the accidents to consider aswell. I don't know any numbers, but a lot of people get killed by guns in the USA. And most of them I think aren't really with 'evil' or 'mad' purpose.

I do know, it happens a lot less here in Europe. It does happen, even here in Belgium. Though I can count that on 1 hand.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your bout, but good to know you've weathered it intact. Hope it's behind you and that these families can find some measure of peace down the road.

Thanks, it's a struggle, but I found a lot of help, by family and by going to therapy.

@purifier--yes, it is sad. Damn shame these shooters don't try that crap vs armed people who can help them suicide w/much less to no collateral damage. That said, if they can't self-commit, damn shame they just don't take themselves out w/o killing others. But, then I guess they'd just be suicidally depressed and not bat**** crazy.

Funny you should mention that. Check this out.......

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/12/15/1341531/man-opens-fire-in-alabama-hospital/

Found this on the web, so I don't know much more about it, but I'm still digging to find out more. Anyway, if it's true, looks like things turned out a little better for once in this case. Of course this shooting or any other shooting never should happen at all, but that's only in a perfect world.

It's sad, but I find that any life, no matter what age, ended by being shot is very sad. I hope someday the USA will vote for far more controle on the selling of guns.

It won't stop hard criminals getting their gear, but it would make it far more difficult. I think it would also put a big stop to these tragic blind rage shootings, depressed and stressed people do.

Your right, Quanon. The death by a bullet on any human life at any age is sad. But when it's children, I guess it just seems that much worse for me. As for the whole gun control argument, I rarely argue about that anymore. That is a endless argument we often have here in the U.S. that really goes nowhere, from my perspective. I have nothing more to say about it these days.

BTW, sorry to hear about your period of depression. Been there myself, many times. Funny thing though, meditation seemed to cure me of a lot of negative thinking these days. It's an usual way to combat depression, or I thought so, but it worked in the long run for me.;)

people are quick to blame gun control when it really is up to the mental health department. Ever since clinton left, it's been on the decline and thus psychopaths like this are out on the streets instead of in a hospital.

My prayers go to all of the families, such a monstrosity will affect them the rest of their lives.

It's a tragic year indeed.

I don't believe gun control is a viable solution to a problem like this in the US. In other countries it may be much more effective, but when you consider the countless millions of firearms that are in private circulation in the US, it would be impossible to collect even a fraction of them. The only ones that would give them away would be those who are willing to submit to the law, and it would leave a bunch of nutjobs sitting on private arsenals, waiting to take advantage of the situation.

It deeply disturbes me though, that the society we live in obsesses so much with violence that it is hatebreeding all of these desensitized psychopaths with zero regard for life in any form. Something is terribly wrong at a base-level to be causing such happenings.

Hm... I'm not sure exactly where, but I'm thinking it was in Jonesboro, AR that there was another shooting recently... I could be wrong that it was Jonesboro, I just know it was somewhere here in the "Hospitality" state...

Then after hearing about this, someone told me a story that made me laugh my ass off and made me feel bad because it was on the news still and people thought I was laughing at the shooting. Apparently one of the McDonalds here in my home city had an African American woman come in and pay with a twenty dollar bill... the kid behind the counter checked to make sure it was real, because (as a future McDonalds employee starting tomorrow, I read the handbook and...) all McDonald's employees are asked to mark any bill over a 10. The woman went completely lunatic like... screaming it was because she was black that he checked to see if it was counterfeit, ect... then she jumped over the counter and started beating the kid. Another employee was entering after mopping or whatever so he/she started beating the woman on the back to try and get her off and then her friend jumped over the counter and started beating up the other one...

Sometimes I look back at the world and wonder... why the hell are we so crazy? Oh yeah... because people jump to conclusions over the smallest things.

Regarding the shooting, from what I heard (or perhaps misinterpreted)... the kid's mom worked there and he went to erradicate that which she loved most as a means of revenge for whatever happened. I also heard that he murded his father in New Jersey, I believe it is... though that could be false information. This kid was obviously unstable... (not that that's really an excuse for the atrocity that he committed.)

Sadly there is a lot of misinformation being thrown out there. The father is either alive, or very articulate for a zombie.

As to the gun control debate: This shouldn't be a gun control debate. The most recent shootings that I know of all have a common thread. The person was very smart, but had severe mental issues. The firearm may have added to the massacre, or it may have made him pick a large sword. Maybe a crossbow. Perhaps rather than train with a firearm, he would have trained with a bow. Heck I used to do a bit of damage with a slingshot. No matter what gets banned, someone will make another weapon that isn't banned, but just as deadly. What we need is better security at schools. Possibly even a repeal of all firearm laws, so we can make a new set of actually enforceable laws that don't contradict each other, or include feel good rules on how a weapon looks as opposed to how it operates.

Too many people also misunderstand the laws as it is.

What weapons does the assault weapon ban actually affect? Not assault rifles. Would you call a shotgun an assault weapon? if it has a pistol grip, and either a folding stock or a vertical forward grip, it is. A .308 rifle for hunting isn't an assault weapon right? If it has a detachable magazine, pistol grip, folding stock, or any of a few other random appearance modifications. How about an AK 47 semiauto? That's definitely an assault weapon right? Not if it has the wooden stock and a mag lock and the bayonet attachment removed. I said semiauto, because new selective fire weapons(Actual Assault Rifles) and machine guns are already banned for sale as of May 19, 1986(signed into law by Ronald Reagan as an amendment to the FOPA). Only those manufactured prior to may 19 1986 may be transferred to another party. There are illegal Assault Rifles out there. And they are for sale cheaper than the legal version in stores.

Archived