Home

Update and 2013

MJ

Here's a novel idea, why don't I post on the forum...

Hi everyone who might stumble in here and read this.

Ah, 2012. Quite a year, eh? Well... not for Nightlight Productions, but still. Those Mayans gave us a run for our money!

Despite what it looks like on Nightlight, I've been a busy guy this year. I turned 32, I travelled to Europe, I met Gabez, I worked full time, I did a lot of journalism work on the side... plus all the stuff that goes along with married life. You guys get it, right?

And then... I'll be honest with you... it's really hard to edit together a radio play these days. In the old days (pre 2005) making a radio play involved wandering into the university radio station, bothering the people who work there, and going into a recording studio. That's where I got my actors from, and editing was a matter of clipping out what works and mixing in sound effects.

These days, living on the other side of the country and using voice talent from all over the world, I get to work with some great talent but editing involves mixing every individual line. It's a painstaking, slow process that I have little time to devote to.

As much as this sounds like I'm giving up though, I'm not. I love making radio plays too much to throw it away. I'm six parts through a story that I'm determined to finish, in the least. So what does that mean?

Next year I'm trying something new. It's too soon to let out too many details, but let's just say that there will be new radio plays, the way they should be.

The Power of Monkey Island will eventually be finished - in fact, part 7 is complete, and will be up before the end of the year if the server reappears. Not only that, but the script for part 8 is done. But it won't be the only thing coming.

In the meantime, following me on Twitter is a good way to know what I'm up to: I'm @nightlightguy

And my other website, where I repost my journalism efforts is Matt Smith's End of the Spectrum. When you see how busy I am there, cut me a bit of slack. ;)

Archived