Home

The XWA.net One-Year Thread VIII: Heir to the Forum

Wildstar

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Free to play, which means it will be riddled with in game purchases and very likely will be pay to win.

Nope.

In other news: If the Dolphins win out, they are in the playoffs.

There is a very unlikely scenario in which the Patriots don't make the playoffs, and the Dolphins get the 2nd seed and a first round bye.

That would please me greatly.

thoughts?

I think it is too early to have any thoughts. We have almost no information about this game, only one short teaser and couple of screenshots that explains nothing (with graphics on level of XWAU and strange red belts befind Tie-interceptors, lol). I afraid that gameplay there might be as primitive as in Rogue Squadron or something (forget about energy balance, more or less detailed system of damages and things like that). And of cause, no of "effect of presence" - everything is in "view from behind", right (as we everybody know it is absolutely impossible in XWA to fly with view from 3rd person)?

Then what about open configuration with toolbox, script language, possibility to make missions and campaigns? What about to model and add starships and objects? What about many of single and multiplayer regimes?

We know nothing yet. And if this game will be childish arcade for kinder gardeners like Rogue Squadron was, then it will kill our hopes on good new Star Wars flight simulator.

But anyway, let's hope on better. We maybe even contact to those guys from Area52, offering them some of ideas for free and join as beta-testers after all...

xbox live had borderlands 2 at around $8...i had to buy it. it seems pretty fun...just need some people to coop with now :)

the new star wars game could be promising...just hope it doesn't involve flying in circles for hours...

i still think SWTOR is the best star wars game yet...so glad disney didn't shut it down. :)

Rogue Squadron had its good points. I was disappointed in it at first as well, because I was expecting something more deep like the X-Wing games. But the fun in the Rogue Squadron games was in playing the missions over and over again, planning the perfect strategies to get the gold medals. Those games are challenging and very satisfying when you play them that way.

Keyan Farlander, yes, i agree, gameplay itself in Rogue Squadron was extremely interesting, but please, agree with me too that Rogue Squadron wasn't simulator, it was more arcade, not even close to X-wing Alliance. And then there's many flight games with gameplay like in Rogue Squadron (latest one is SWTOR where space flights finally stop to be "flight on rails", but anyway, it's still arcade), while nobody done any sort of re-make of XWA with more or less detailed controls and flight model.

Actually i also afraid that SW: Attack Squadrons may be just a blind copy of World of Warplanes, where just content being added and nothing more. But it's not too late to contact to Area52 and offer them something.

Well, sure, Rogue Squadron was not even close to a simulator. It was arcade, and it was fun because it was great at doing what arcade games do - get you to do something relatively simple over and over again, perfecting your strategy until you get the highest score. Without that aspect of the game it would have been pretty boring.

Sure, you right. But XWA also was never boring, isn't it? Even having one set of missions in line campaign we everybody once just completed it, then once more, more, and then started perfecting strategy to get highest score, get Diamond Eyes for your Calidor Crescent... it was same, right? :)

I just talking about that there's many of games like Rogue Squadron, while XWA, that is built on very obsolete (in today's measures) game engine still remains only Star Wars simulator. Arcade and casual Star Wars flight game will be just another one "one day game" in row, while new Star Wars simulator (not just a blind copy of World of Warplanes) has all chances to became new the most long played Star Wars game, like XWA now is.

Sure, you right. But XWA also was never boring, isn't it? Even having one set of missions in line campaign we everybody once just completed it, then once more, more, and then started perfecting strategy to get highest score, get Diamond Eyes for your Calidor Crescent... it was same, right? :)

No, I don't think so. The "highest score" is not well defined in these games. Generally, you played as well as you could to finish the mission and then moved on. The Kalidor Crescent medals usually came pretty automatically, without having to specifically try to get them. The games did achieve something like this with TIE Fighter, though. I WOULD play those missions over and over again trying to find the strategies to get all of the secondary and bonus objectives. The problem was that, at least in some of the later missions, I think this was literally impossible. And sometimes it was possible, but actually doing it WOULD be incredibly boring. There were a couple I remember where you had to take down some huge capital ship in nothing but a TIE fighter. Even with the 4x time speedup, that took way too long. The original X-Wing could be boring in parts too; sometimes you got into cases where you had to just wait like 15 minutes for a freighter to dock with nothing else happening (luckily the 4x time speedup feature in TIE Fighter fixed this). XWA has these problems to an even greater degree in its missions, because they were buggy and obviously not tested nearly enough. We all know the game was rushed out the door too soon, and it really suffered for it.

I just talking about that there's many of games like Rogue Squadron, while XWA, that is built on very obsolete (in today's measures) game engine still remains only Star Wars simulator. Arcade and casual Star Wars flight game will be just another one "one day game" in row, while new Star Wars simulator (not just a blind copy of World of Warplanes) has all chances to became new the most long played Star Wars game, like XWA now is.

There are more arcade flight games, yes, but I don't know if there are many games as good as the Rogue Squadron games. Personally, I'd be happy with either a new Rogue Squadron game or a new X-Wing game. Though I would prefer a new X-Wing game, especially since, as you say, there's hasn't been a game like that in a long time. And arcade-like multiplayer game certainly isn't going to be played too long, since there just isn't enough there to hold people's interest for long. A game needs some complexity to have staying power in the multiplayer world. But I have the feeling it's not staying power, but easy money they are going for, unfortunately for us.

Keyan Farlander, i generally agreed about first part of your reply. But also i need to tell that we must remember that those Star Wars flight simulators like X-wing and Tie-fighter both were released 20 and almost 20 years ago, when requirements to gameplay were absolutely another, market of video games was absolutely another (it was less filled, now new video games being released almost every day, but there, in first half and middle of 90s it was not like that) and game designers themselves were very limited in graphics possibilities (let's remember how BFF-1 Bulk Freighter comes to Star Wars universe, lol - it was easy to model). So they did everything to compensate graphics limitations with interesting gameplay, "effect of presence", that made you wait for something, pass long distances in flight, difficulty and complications of gameplay and things like that (while now they make video games with brain blowing graphics, but with gameplay on level of Tetris... or even lower, like Force Unleashed, for example... soap movie). From today's point of view all of it maybe looks boring and nothing more, but there, in 1993-96 it perceived differently, isn't it? But, of cause, in Star Wars: Tie-Fighter Totally Games decided to don't annoy player with long time waiting, so they added function of time compression. Anyway, everything is generally up to mission design and testing and nothing more.

Anyway, if to dream a little i think in new Star Wars flight simulator there must have some sort of balance between arcade side of the game and it's "realistic" part. I think that controls and flight model in new sim must be generally similar to XWA, because of it is ideal. Nothing to change there, it's ideal! Everything is needed is new graphics with engine that should let us to make that was impossible in XWA, for example dynamical partially destroyable models of capital starships, floating debris of starships and objects and other things like that (as i can see it will be done in Attack Squadrons). More, i think game must not be concentrated on a single character like it was in previous simulators (Farlander, Steele, Azzameen... you know these guys :) ), so there will be no medals, just maybe awards for completion of official campaigns maybe. In single player it's better to make it multi-campaign, where will be various heroes from various sides... many stories about many characters. It should let game designers to make a lot of DLC, it will make just giant field of work with community and many other. In multiplayer there must be many of multiplayer regimes, from common deathmatch and team against team, to various cooperative regimes and even races like it was in "training base" in XWA. Not just a blind copying of World of Warplanes.

Well, hard to explain it just in couple of words, i really think that we must to discuss about it more tight and then even maybe to offer something to Area52. Haha, i always start to dream when think about new Star Wars simulator. Sorry. Damn, if only i could to contact to those Area52! I ready tell them all my thoughts, maybe they shoud find something interesting in it. I don't need money for this, i just want to have a video game that for i will spend money with pleasure!

And arcade-like multiplayer game certainly isn't going to be played too long, since there just isn't enough there to hold people's interest for long. A game needs some complexity to have staying power in the multiplayer world.

Oh, yes, right. That's why i always barking about toolbox with mission and campaigns editor, full-scale script language, open add-on configuration, voices editor and things like that. I just remember example of Operation Flashpoint, FPS combat simulator of 2001 year. Even in 2001 it's graphics wasn't cool, everything was cubical, details of terrain was pretty low, but game become extremely popular and still being played (with 3 re-makes - Armed Assault, ArmA2 and ArmA3) exactly because of open world, full-scale toolbox and possibility to model right anything there! This must be example for developers of new Star Wars flight simulator!

But I have the feeling it's not staying power, but easy money they are going for, unfortunately for us.

Yes. If Attack Squadrons will be console childish arcade crap, then it will bury our dream about new flight simulator for many years in future.

Last day at work until New Years Eve... and it's a good one: 7am until 11-ish tonight.

Good thing I'm only totally exhausted already.

And sore. I slipped on a flight of wet stairs in the subway station coming home last night, and went down hard. Then, about 10 minutes later, I did it again on a completely different set of stairs, bruising and scratching anything I may have missed on the first tumble.

My life is so awesome right now...

according to my roommate my dog didn't bark or whine for about 5 hours (went out for my sister's birthday and some christmas shopping) so happy about that.

may be picking up my ex from the airport today.....idk why i do this. im bored i guess? idk part of me doesn't want to, but the funny thing is i'm not the one doing all the calling and talking anymore...idk what she wants from me other than for free **** and to abandon me...thinking of simply blowing her off. not sure what i should do, that part of me that likes to do good and **** is saying to do it 'cause i'll get to see her again' meh. i wish other girls i'm interested in would throw me some signs of similar interest. :(

I have played all the X-wing games, even dabbled in Rogue squadron. Also i played the wing commander games. Heck, i have even played the old "Aces" series of WWI, and WWII flight combat sims

The one major complaint about the X-wing games is the ships maneuvering never had a true Yaw. It was a yaw combined with a roll. Most anyone who has played a flight combat sim has gotten used to using a roll, followed by positive pitch to turn.

Any SW based flight sim has to have these components:

1. NO FLY BY RAILS! this is not some arcade game

2. Open environment. Every good game has this now. Fallout, Skyrim. Let the players explore. Easily limit exploration by having limited range and BINGO fuel.

3. Multiplayer skirmishes, or consent based PvP.

4. Free Look without killing your Frames per second. This helps in tracking your target and being able to lead them better.

I still think any star wars flight sim should jsut try to emulate a good WWII air combat game, and they will do just fine.

But then again, the stupid console market still wants arcady games cause they are easier to play

K_Kinnison, i think that yaw is atmospheric maneuver, it is inherent for a plane. Well, at least i felt absolutely no discomfort about it in X-wing, Tie-fighter or XWA.

But then again, the stupid console market still wants arcady games cause they are easier to play

Oh, i can't agree with that. Such of flight sims (like XWA) are not FPS or RTS, so i think that most of basic controls can be easily done with gamepad and console players will have absolutely no disadvantages in combat against PC players, who uses keyboard+joystick.

SW:ToR has a decent space combat thing now, very freeform dogfighting.

War Thunder is a great flight sim combat too. Not very pay to win, and free to play on Steam.

The issue with console vs. PC on the flight sim world is the PC player will always had a slight advantage in craft control vs. the console players. with the keyboard+flight stick combo, we can push our crafts a bit harder and with more refined control than they can.

War Thunder is mixing the PC and Playstation 4 people..... We're already seeing the PC players having an advantage.

K_Kinnison, i think that yaw is atmospheric maneuver, it is inherent for a plane. Well, at least i felt absolutely no discomfort about it in X-wing, Tie-fighter or XWA.

pic5-1.gif

3 Axis of movement. Pitch, roll, and yaw. same terms used in space as in atmosphere.

Winter has reared its ugly head here in wisconsin. Had freezing rain on the ride home last night. Comes down as rain, then freezes when it lands on something... like windshields, or roads. Absolute worse form of precipitation. Even my wipers were ineffective. had to stop every few miles and pull over to scrap my windows again

my college just tried to screw me over...not sure if i should be laughing or raging mad right now...got an "invoice" for just over 4 grand. not gonna pay it because i used education assistance program and the post 9/11 gi bill and it said on the portal (the dumb online thing) that i had $0 balance...then i check my mailbox this morning and find this freakin invoice. about to transfer to a 4 year college, but doubt they'd accept me with my less than 3.0 gpa. aughghghg so frustrated...now just waiting on the call from the business office who will undoubtedly transfer me to veteran's affairs, and that lady is ****ing stupid...oh god help me..

Archived