Home

Leave canon out of video games...

The Lord of Chaos

Yeah, why do we need canon or any references at all? Why are these games even Star Wars to begin with? They should just be a new science fiction of space opera franchise totally separate from Star Wars to begin with!

Do you not read my posts? I've said numerous times, canon is fine, even good for novels, comics, cartoons, films, all that. There's just no need for it for games, though, especially role-playing games, and TSL proved that. That's why I like it the most. I'm not as disappointed as you think that TOR exists, I just don't think they had to use canon in the games and I'm not alone. There were ways around it and you know that. I totally understand what you're saying though, it's all good. LA can use canon on whatever they want and I can reject it if I want, so it's not a big deal.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you not read my posts? I've said numerous times, canon is fine, even good for novels, comics, cartoons, films, all that. There's just no need for it for games, though, especially role-playing games, and TSL proved that. That's why I like it the most. I'm not as disappointed as you think that TOR exists, I just don't think they had to use canon in the games and I'm not alone. There were ways around it and you know that.

I was mocking you.

Again, personal canon.

If it happens, great, but at this point, it doesn't exist.

Also, in terms of canon... stuff is canon until it isn't. There are many examples of things in Star Wars that were once canon but aren't any longer because of something that was released afterward.

In the future, there is a possibility that SWTOR may be bumped off the canon list... hell, there's a possibility that The Knights of the Old Republic era could be bumped off entirely. We just won't know until it actually happens.

After all, the entire post-RotJ EU is being wiped out by the upcoming Sequel Trilogy and no one saw that coming until it was announced.

Well if you want videogames to ignore all canon, then KotOR shouldn't even be set in a specific point in the SW timeline. Why does Revan have to be human? Why can't the Exile be a Hutt? Why do Revan and the Exile have to even exist in the same verse as your KotOR3? That's why "personal canon" is a tricky and confusing thing to do.

That's why "personal canon" is a tricky and confusing thing to do.

Not really, I can easily ignore the fact that the New Jedi Order series exists abd be perfectly fine with the rest of Star Wars EU... Personal canon is easy to maintain as long as you don't get down to the really fine points of nitpicking very specific things out of the middle of things.

If he doesn't like the turn that SWTOR has taken then all he really needs to do is say "for me, there is no SWTOR"...

On the other hand, writing your own fan fiction is where things get complicated.

In my mind, personal canon = omission of existing canon for your own purposes, fan fiction = creating your own canon to coexist or override official canon

That's true, I could write a basic outline, elaborating on what I wrote on post 24, but that's about it. Dialogue, plausibility, party members, side content... I actually think adding new material would be hardest thing to do in a KotOR III plot set soon after TSL. You'd have to be careful not to mention little if any of the activities on planets that Revan and the Exile had an impact on in their game and so on. Anyway, I might have a go, post it on a fan fiction site and if you're interested in reading it, I'll provide a link to it.

Why does it have to be after TSL? That implies some sort of continuity, where events follow other events. As does the fact that Revan and the Exile even exist. You don't want canon/continuity, so don't have any of it. A standalone story with a Jedi Padawan going on missions might as well just be the Jedi Academy game that already exists.

Even the name "Knights of the Old Republic" implies some continuity, since it's definitely set before the original trilogy, during the time of the Old Republic. That might count as continuity too. Or maybe I'm overdoing your remark about not wanting any continuity at all.

And within the larger narrative, your Revan still is Dark Side in KotOR. But when Revan moved to the larger part of the SW universe, including sequels, a set story had to be put in line. If every story had a vague narrative that was only vaguely mentioned elsewhere, you'd barely have an expanded universe going on. SW's EU's strength is how consistent it is, where events are firm, happened, and have effects on everything else. Like I said in my very big post earlier, I like how Revan and the Exile's firm stories tied into the larger narrative created for TOR, giving us that massive big bad in the Sith Emperor.

Lynk, when you said you reject the NJO, does that also include the things after? Given that the books since then have relied on character developments within the NJO, it seems like it'd be hard to reject only the NJO and nothing else after. I don't care for where Jacen Solo went in LotF, but I accept it all as part of the larger narrative.

But then, I accept all of SW as part of a larger story, whether I like the smaller bits or not. I just treat it like real life. There are some things I don't like, but I can't just pretend they don't exist. I just accept them as part of the universe and move on to other aspects of the universe. SW's had some pretty damn dorky stuff, like the Holiday Special, but there are ways of using retcons to make them less insane and dorky. I guess I'm just very accepting and laid back about canon and continuity and works that I may dislike. I don't know, I'm babbling, stopping my post now. :p

Yeah, I reject everything that happens after The Hand of Thrawn duology. Though, to be honest, I'm one of the people who only accepts what occurs in the movies (for better or worse) as the true canon and the only canon I really need to worry about.

At one point I was into EU, but not really any more. To me, none of EU really matters so it can be as convoluted as it wants to be.

This is what I've got so far in my personal canon.

Introduction

It's two years after The Sith Lords. A civil war breaks out between the Sith, caused by destabilisation of their leadership as a result of assassinations of key leaders. This gives what remains of the Jedi, the Republic and the Mandalorians a chance to defeat the Sith. The new main character was a Padawan from the Jedi Civil War who "switched off the lightsaber" and is now being hunted by the Sith...

Part 1

Revan and the Exile were the ones responsible for the assassinations. The emperor, Lord Astaroth, doesn't know that and thinks the Sith Lord Darth Ra, was responsible. Ra took the credit for it to get closer to Astaroth. She showed him proof that the dark council were planning to overthrow him.

Little does Astaroth know, though, that Ra wants to become the new emperor herself. She had a vision of a Jedi Knight defeating the emperor. She tells Astaroth about her vision and requests to hunt down the Jedi Knight, as there is possibly a link between them. Astaroth agrees to this and sends a group of assassins.

Ra kills the assassins and finds the player, warning the player about the Sith threat. Ra shows the player the bodies as proof and offers to train the player in the ways of the force again. Ra, like Kreia, is hiding her real identity. She says that the Sith may be hunting you because they believe you to be of importance, but she pretends not to know what that importance is.

The player accepts Ra's offer for training. Astaroth senses Ra's betrayal and so throughout the game assassins are hunting Ra and the player. Ra won't take you straight to the unknown regions because a) you're not ready to face Astaroth; and b) it would blow her cover.

I'm stuck after that. Bugger it, it's too hard and I can't be bothered.

On an unrelated note, I remember reading a KotOR III plot proposal - the best one I've ever read, where Zaalbar and Hanharr fight to the death on Myrkr. There's more to the story, but the idea of the good Wookiee fighting the bad Wookiee was pretty sweet.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
I'm still disgusted that my Jedi Knight kills the Emperor in about 2.5 minutes... Revan is way more powerful than me, yet he was twice defeated by said Emperor, held prisoner in a force-field for 300 years and then killed by a Pick up group in a flashpoint. Canon is very important to me, but sometimes, they should write new characters, rather than include them in everything and inevitably ruin your favorite stories.

Show spoiler
I'm still disgusted that my Jedi Knight kills the Emperor in about 2.5 minutes... Revan is way more powerful than me, yet he was twice defeated by said Emperor, held prisoner in a force-field for 300 years and then killed by a Pick up group in a flashpoint. Canon is very important to me, but sometimes, they should write new characters, rather than include them in everything and inevitably ruin your favorite stories.

That mission you're talking about, the final one... it used to be A LOT harder. Like, you had to take people in to HELP you complete it because it was that hard. I ended up helping someone defeat him before they patched it to make it easier. Even worse, you needed an entire group of 4 people to defeat the final boss for the Sith Warrior in early version of swtor before they patched it.

In fact, a lot of these fights you think are so easy were a hell of a lot tougher when everything started.

I played that Character early last year, I must just be awesome (Or figured out Interrupt abilities ;) ) My main point is I don't want my Character to be so powerful, or to have the main Antagonist/story end... I want the war to continue as it was. But then again I'm a role-player so I prefer to dictate my own fate.

My most recent Character was a sorcerer, but I don't have a problem with his class story, as all he really does is kill a Sith Lord and take his place, not so Galaxy changing.

Show spoiler
Well, actually, the Emperor's death at the hands of the Knight doesn't seem to be definite. At least, that's what Wookieepedia says. And I got the impression, after you defeated the Emperor, that that wasn't the end of it, I think Kira mentioned something in that regard. I always thought that the Emperor would fit better as the boss of an Operation and needing a whole squad to kill. :)

Archived