Home

Adobe Giving Away CS2 For Free

Dak Drexl

Thought this was more modding related than anything, so I'm posting here.

Just wanted to get the word out that Adobe is giving away the CS2 versions of their software, which includes Photoshop - if anyone here has thought of upgrading from GIMP, now is your chance to do so for free (and legally)!

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Very nice. Especially for Photoshop. There's very little difference between CS2 PS and the current version that I am aware of that would be of any consequence for the average modder.

Edit: Just saw a post at another site about it saying that they aren't actually giving it away. They are shutting down the activation servers for it, so this is meant for people that already own it so they can reinstall it in the future (this version doesn't require activation). It's not intended for the general public. I'm not sure what the legality of it is exactly, but don't expect it to be around long. I gather it will be pulled (or access restricted at least) in short order.

It's great that CS2 is available for free now. It's a great suite of programs, with a lot more to offer than just Photoshop (which is what i'm assuming the majority of people will go for).

Should be interesting to see what people can come up with now that this kind of professional software is available freely!

What I've heard is that it originally was an accident of some sort and it wasn't meant to go public but it went viral and thousands of people had already downloaded it by the time Adobe had realized what happened. I'm thinking that Adobe has just accepted what's happened and is just keeping the links going. If anything it's a good way to build a loyal user base who will be more likely to stick with their software for a while rather than having people pirate it like mad.

Adobe hasn't been the same since they've been bought out by ENCOM. ;)

Edit: I think people are just over thinking this
No, they have said they are not giving it away:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974775#4974775

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/01/update-on-cs2-and-acrobat-7-activation-servers.html

Regardless of how you choose to interpret the way they have made it available, the official line is that they are not giving it away and that you require a valid licence to use it.

Yeah it's alot easyier then gimp

I disagree - Photoshop has a lot more features so it takes a bit longer to get the hang of. If you're familiar with GIMP though you shouldn't have a problem.

Also I'm not sure what CS2 is like... Shouldn't be too different from CS5.

All my mods are done with GIMP 1.2 which was current in 2004 when I started teaching myself. I still use it, but recently I bought Photoshop CS6 for school. I'd say Photoshop is easier than GIMP because there's more information on Photoshop, and the layout of the controls is also easier maybe.

Hmm, I was trying to download at least PS CS2 but i'm having a problem with the serial numbers. I copy paste the serial codes they have on their site for the PS download when the installer asks for them but when I click next it says "Invalid Serial Number". Anybody else have this problem when installing?

Archived