Home

Obsidian Actively Pitching Star Wars RPG (set between III and IV)

Alexrd

Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart told me his Black-Isle-based collective is lobbying heavily to develop a new Star Wars RPG. “I would say it’s within the top three pitches we’ve ever come up with,” he told RPS during a recent interview. But wait, what about the EA-shaped Death Star hovering over The Old Republic? Well, Obsidian’s new tale is set in a very, very different time period.

“There’s a lot of different eras in Star Wars, and that’s what we would focus on,” Urquhart replied when I pointed out that The Old Republic’s relative lack of success could have Disney seeing that license in a less than favorable light.

“We pitched a between-Episode III and Episode IV game [to LucasArts]. Because we think that timeframe is super interesting. It’s the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi, it’s Obi-Wan going off and making sure Luke is OK. You have the Sith, but you have the extermination of all Force users except for very, very few. So it was an interesting time to set a game, and you know, Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story.”

“We also latched onto it because it has elements people remember, but not the stories. It can just completely not involve [the movies]. It can tease them, but nothing else.”

Of course, then a certain gigantic mouse fee-fi-fo-fummed along, unhinged its gargantuan plague ridden jaw, and swallowed Star Wars whole. So what happens now? Is Obsidian back at square one? Urquhart doesn’t think so.

“It’s something we’re still hoping for, even with the Disney/Lucas stuff going on,” he said. “It changes things a lot, but you know, we’re gonna push on it. I would say it’s within the top three pitches we’ve ever come up with. We really worked on it hard and distilled it down to these eight or ten pages that really sold the story and characters. Then we sold it off to LucasArts and got a call back later that day. They were like, ‘This seems really cool. We want to talk to you guys, like, tomorrow about it.’”

“We haven’t [talked with Disney yet]. We’re kind of waiting for the smoke to clear. But that’s one of my next big things to do. To kind of go over there and [get the ball rolling again].”

Granted, it might be more of an uphill battle than Urquhart anticipates. Disney, after all, opened its Star Wars salvo by saying that it’d rather focus on mobile and social games over console-y triple-A fare. But Urquhart thinks more than a little of the house of mouse’s statement was simple posturing. Putting all your chips on console (and, by extension in this case, PC) doesn’t sound good right now. But once the veil of silence surrounding new machines finally lifts, that might be a very different story.

So yes, a lot of things are up in the air, but Urquhart’s confident. And I’m hoping to high heaven he’s right to feel that way. Assuming it all does work out, though, here’s hoping Obsidian actually gets to finish its ending this time.

Source

I'm glad that their pitch for a Star Wars RPG is set during the "saga era". I like KotOR quite a lot, but the setting was what I liked the least. Still, my wish for a Star Wars RPG helped me to get over it.

I didn't like KotOR II that much, and let's hope that if this ever gets done, Avellone won't put any "anti-Force" stance on some characters.

Presumably they are making this info public to try and put some pressure on Disney to approve it. Unsurprising given their track record and the fact that they are constantly teetering on the precipice of bankruptcy.

Good point. At least LucasArts was interested.

KotOR II was awesome. :carms: It's pretty much what I've been saying of late: give up KotOR III, as it's not going to happen, but let Obsidian try their hands on another period in time. To be honest, I'd rather have something other than the movie era again (don't forget, that period of time between III and IV, with Jedi being hunted, isn't too dissimilar to the setting of KotOR II), but I'll take whatever they can make happen. I'm still not really holding my breath, but it's nice they are coming out saying they really want to make another Star Wars RPG.

I would have preferred something around the Bane period myself. Pretty much equidistant from the KOTOR and movie timeframes and virtually unencumbered by canon, enough to have almost complete narrative freedom. You could go either side of the Rule of Two depending on what you were going for - before if you wanted an extant Sith presence on the level of KOTOR, or after if you wanted a more low key affair less focused on everyone having glow sticks.

What I'd really like to see is a proper Sith/Dark Side focused game, one that isn't just about killing randoms because that's what "evil" types do. Something that charts your rise from apprentice to seizing the mantle of Master, then recruiting your own apprentice (and maybe being taken down by them as a nice way to end).

TSL to me is the most compelling Star Wars game. I actually think a RPG set in the timeframe between III and IV could be very intriguing written by Avellone. Character hunted by the empire, feels abandoned and betrayed by the Jedi and the Republic offers many options to character development and Avellone’s shades of grey in the morality spectrum. I don’t think a story like that would really need to focus much on movie cannon beyond the Jedi are gone and the empire has taken over. PC would likely start off as a padawan whose master saves him during order 66, but he watches his master be butchered by those that were his/her allies. To me this would bring out all types of conflicts between who to trust and Jedi teaching. Very similar to many of the teaching in Kreia in TSL, do you help the family farm being overrun by pirates, or does involvement bring the risk of bringing down the wrath of the Empire. NPC reaction would also be very interesting; they were told the Jedi tried to overthrow the government. So figuring out who could help you and who would turn you in over the reward would be another great element.

So if they are going to make a game about survival, both of the PC and the good people within the empire, then I can’t think of a better time period. However, if they want to make a cliché game about saving the galaxy, then look somewhere else. It shouldn’t be about making the ultimate jedi/sith, it would have to be about character development and morality conflict to be good. Making another Revan clone would just destroy cannon. Making something more about looking for survivors, teachers and looking for holocron to finish the PC’s training to improve odds of survival or gain power for revenge while being hunted by bounty hunters and imperial forces would be interesting to me particularly with Avellone’s normal morality choices.

between 4 and 5, eh? the old school star wars galaxy player (before they bent over and decided to change the whole game which eventually made it fail) likes and dislikes this idea, but i would say do it in the era of the imperial knights when they are considered the good guys to an extent, work a story around that, i would fund that project if i could heh

between 4 and 5, eh? the old school star wars galaxy player (before they bent over and decided to change the whole game which eventually made it fail) likes and dislikes this idea, but i would say do it in the era of the imperial knights when they are considered the good guys to an extent, work a story around that, i would fund that project if i could heh

between 3 and 4 makes good sense. There's still plenty of Jedi, all are being hunted. The rebellion is barely getting started. And worlds that could be explored and shaped to what they were in the movies. It's chaotic, more so than the SWG timeframe of 4 and 5.

Well, either between 3 and 4 or 50-100+ years after 6 (presumably taking you past the time lines in the most recent books). Something not too bogged down in cannon, thus giving the writers wriggle room. Preferably single player (w/mmo option for those so inclined).

I really don't get the appeal of a distant timeline from the movies. I mean, sure it doesn't give any room for a "save the galaxy" story, but not every story has to be that way. I'd rather have something during the movie timeline and be much more relatable than have something hundreds of years before/after them only to have a visual style too similar to the films because otherwise people wouldn't see it as Star Wars (and rightfully so).

I really don't get the appeal of a distant timeline from the movies. I mean, sure it doesn't give any room for a "save the galaxy" story, but not every story has to be that way. I'd rather have something during the movie timeline and be much more relatable than have something hundreds of years before/after them only to have a visual style too similar to the films because otherwise people wouldn't see it as Star Wars (and rightfully so).

That was as an alternative to anything other than between 3 and 4. Didn't think much of a lot of the stuff that followed in wake of ROTJ. Between 3-4 would probably give greatest flexibility w/in context of movie timelines.

I don't really like the idea of another piece of SW media in that time period, but at this point I'm just happy people want to make more Star Wars games. It's been too long.

This could be interesting. Perhaps play as a Jedi trying to hide from the Empire? I'd hope, being an RPG, it would focus less on the THRILLER CHASE, and more on things like the psychological stress involved in being a hunted fugitive. Things like having a love interest, and trying to keep them out of harm's way (harm, which arguably follows you around)?

On the general subject of SW games, I'm hoping that there'll be Star Wars mods for Star Citizen. Hopefully Star Citizen's hypothetical success would spur LA into considering a proper Star Wars flight sim.

Also, obligatory SW wantlist:

1. KotOR 3*

2. Jedi Knight 4

3. Republic Commando 2

4. Battlefront 3.

*Yeah, I know unlikely it is.

I'm definitely not interested in a between-trilogies game. We've already had two extremely crappy The Force Unleashed games in that period and, well, the "crappy" part says it all.

One of the things I liked about the first KoTOR game was the setting. Everything looked different, but still quite familiar and still Star Wars, so I'm more interested in a game set either long before the movies, or long after them, as those periods allow for more creative freedom, both visual and otherwise. Of course, Jedi Knight 3 is a must (I consider Jedi Academy to be a stand-alone expansion to Jedi Outcast), regardless of anything else.

something hundreds of years before/after them only to have a visual style too similar to the films because otherwise people wouldn't see it as Star Wars (and rightfully so).
Styling after the films for different time periods is not only unnecessary, it's actually a mistake. It's what TOR did and the result is ridiculous. Arguably though that was a mandate from LA/LF's marketing department rather than an artistic choice on the part of Bioware/EA. There are key elements you can put in a game that make it identifiable as Star Wars without needing to ape every detail of the movies. KOTOR did it well. There were enough touchstones to make it instantly recognisable as SW, but it was distinct enough to be its own setting.

I'm definitely not interested in a between-trilogies game. We've already had two extremely crappy The Force Unleashed games in that period and, well, the "crappy" part says it all.
Last I checked it wasn't Obsidian that made either crappy TFU.

I ate a crappy hamburger once that does not mean I given up eating food. :xp:

Last I checked it wasn't Obsidian that made either crappy TFU.

I ate a crappy hamburger once that does not mean I given up eating food. :xp:

Well if you give up on food then you would die...

You could give up on hamburgers though. :)

Being one of the people that preferred TSL to Kotor 1 i'd very happily buy another Obsidian SW RPG but like igyman I am not interested in the setting of in between the PT and OT. That area's well covered already.

Seeing as there's going to be a sequel trilogy wouldn't it make more sense for them to do a RPG between episodes VI and VII?

that's what i'd like to see anyway.

Archived