Home

Obsidian Actively Pitching Star Wars RPG (set between III and IV)

Alexrd

Ugh, this time period is so overused it's not even funny.
This + Obsidian = even if it gets done, I will at least wait and may even pass my turn. Good writing alone cannot save a game.

TSL might have been well written, it was incomplete, full of bugs and not very Star Wars-ish except for the lightsabers. I always got the feeling that the SW environment and setting were forced on the writer in TSL... K1, despite its flaws, captured the OT SW spirit a lot better IMHO. Sometimes trying to add too much depth to something like KotOR feels even more artificial...

I'm not sure that's true. I think people bought KotOR because it was the only Star Wars RPG (regardless of the timeline) in existence and/or because it was from BioWare.

Yeah, I was interested in KotOR because it was the first Star Wars RPG. It could have been set in any timeline and made by any developer for all I cared. Heck, I'd never even heard of BioWare until I played KotOR.

I'm far from alone when I say I'd love more Star Wars RPGs. Single player, that is. Star Wars + RPG = GOLD, I just hope the dialogue system stays the same instead of that freaking Mass Effect style system.

Anyway, Star Wars is perfect for RPGs. I love the ambiguity Obsidian provided, but I also love a good old fashioned, black and white, epic struggle between the Jedi and the Sith.

I have long since been of the opinion that a solid Star Wars game is best set in a relatively unexplored space of time. THat is part of the reason people bought KOTOR.

~Greggomonkey

That is my thinking as well and that is why I said this:

I'd rather see a different time period explored. Like maybe between 1500-2000 years before Anakin Skywalker.

Ugh, this time period is so overused it's not even funny. I'll keep my eyes and ears open though.

Yeah I'm going to throw in my lot here too.

Stop. Just stop using this timeframe. Please. ENOUGH already.

I would have preferred something around the Bane period myself. Pretty much equidistant from the KOTOR and movie timeframes and virtually unencumbered by canon, enough to have almost complete narrative freedom. You could go either side of the Rule of Two depending on what you were going for - before if you wanted an extant Sith presence on the level of KOTOR, or after if you wanted a more low key affair less focused on everyone having glow sticks.

What I'd really like to see is a proper Sith/Dark Side focused game, one that isn't just about killing randoms because that's what "evil" types do. Something that charts your rise from apprentice to seizing the mantle of Master, then recruiting your own apprentice (and maybe being taken down by them as a nice way to end).

Well, the Knight Errant period is kind of exciting and it takes place about a generation before Bane. Its (darker) successor series is currently underway in comics.

It's a time where the old republic is severly decayed from milennia of war with the sith since...well probably since SWTOR. So bad it practically doesn't exist, meanwhile colossal titans in the forms of sith warlords warred with each other and the republic's remnants over territory. It'd be interesting to find out more about some obscure ancient sith and jedi during this time. A ton of creative and new content could be made that doesn't necessarily have to be tied in (which I think would be the better for it) with the films. It's fodder for new stuff and yet not too radical of a departure either.

The stories of Darth Bane were more about drawing it all to a close and into a period of quieting it all down, making the galaxy at large believe followers of the sith way were extinct while he worked in the cover and seclusion of secrecy. I do agree it'd be interesting to see made into a movie trilogy but at the same time I'm not particularly excited to see a movie adaptation of something which already is well established. I like the idea but not as much as something more open. We have to break away if it is to grow.

• 2 months later...

Obsidian's gushing over getting some of that Disney money is almost getting a bit embarrassing. At this point, I just hope EA tosses them a bone so we won't have monthly articles about Urquhart's desire to make another Star Wars game. >_>

Obsidian's gushing over getting some of that Disney money is almost getting a bit embarrassing. At this point, I just hope EA tosses them a bone so we won't have monthly articles about Urquhart's desire to make another Star Wars game. >_>

It was RPS who contact them.

It was RPS who contact them.
Yeah, if anything, they're the ones gushing over Obsidian's pitch. And judging from an earlier article, RPS aren't about to let that go as long as Obsidian haven't given up on it, it seems.

It does seem rather unlikely, but with all the news I've been reading in these last few months, I'm not sure I should just dismiss this outright.

Archived