Home

Deus Ex: Human Defiance trademarked

Sabretooth

Square Enix trademarked 'Deus Ex: Human Defiance'. It's registered for computer games, so it's not the title of the movie or the codename for the Adam Jensen plush toy I know they're making soemwhere I will have my hands on it I swear it.

I'm not as immediately fond of it as 'Human Revolution', but it'll do in a pinch. I mean, it could've been Deus Ex: Human Revelations: Redemption: Revengeance.

It's most likely to be a sequel, considering the name, but other long shots include:

- The Wii U port of Human Revolution

- HD remake of Deus Ex

Human Revolution's trademark was filed in February 2010, same month as this one - so if they use the same timetable as before, expect a reveal in the coming weeks and a proper showing at E3 this year. The Xbox Infinity reveal happens in April, so that also sounds like a good time.

Indeed, also it would probably be counter-productive to rename your game entirely just for a port, and there really wasn't anything about Human Defiance in the original, so a sequel it is.

BTW: to refresh memories, last May, Eidos Montreal was hiring for a game that sounds a lot like a Deus Ex game: “semi open-world action adventure title that responds to player choice and interaction", “well known and respected action/adventure title, with elements of choice and stealth within the gameplay" and interestingly, 'Future iterations of the franchise also “intend to really take advantage of the new platforms coming in the next two years to provide an experience with unparralled realism, depth and consequence for player action and choice.”'

Welp, it turns out that despite the trademark being registered for computer games, the title 'Human Defiance' is more likely the title for the upcoming film. They registered a domain for Deusexhumandefiancefilm.com. Last we heard about the film, it was "moving like a rocket".

But here's a curveball. We do know that the film will not be a rehashing of Human Revolution, so what if Human Defiance will be released simultaneously as a game and a film? Keep dreaming, people!

Welp, **** just got real. Eidos has registered domain names for "Deus Ex: The Fall" (God Out of the Fall? What is this, a Suda51 game?). No confirmations of any kind, but with two Deus Ex titles and one confirmed film, that can only mean one of the two is the game.

'The Fall' would fit a game set between HR and DX, as it would demonstrate the fall of the glossy world of HR into the dark, decadent cyberpunk of DX ("It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here").

For those of you worried that Eidos Montreal may be stretched thin by working on this and Thief simultaneously, keep in mind that EM is composed of at least two (likely three) teams, and none of the HR members have been spotted in the Thief coverage trailer at Game Informer. In all likelihood, the HR members were just shuffled into the next DX game.

• 4 weeks later...

From their Facebook page:

Yes, the rumors are true: World's first look at Deus Ex: Human Defiance TOMORROW!

They go on to confirm many times in the comments that it is, in fact, a game.

Other comments include:

- Reference to the observation that the picture features squares, as opposed to triangles like with Human Revolution.

The implication being (conveyed by Eidos), that two triangles make a square, indicating a sequel.

- Confirmation that the game features Adam Jensen

- Confirmation that the game uses a brand new engine

This is all great news, but I find it rather fishy given the date tomorrow in Canada...

Also, imo, that picture looks like a very bad photoshop. And wouldn't one expect the visual theme for a sequel to be a little more different than just that?

Can't see it because someone at EM isn't very good at Facebook privacy settings. The picture does look like a terrible photoshop, and it all seems like a two-day April Fool's to also get the people on the other side of the world.

My current theory is that if at all the game exists, it's some kind of an amusing 2D parody (Eidos did after all go out of their way to trademark it); while Deus Ex: The Fall is the real title of the next game, likely revealed at the Xbox event or E3.

The squares in particular make me think it's going to be pixel art. If it's a 2D indie pixel art game, then it may actually have Adam Jensen, be a game and be based on a "new engine".

Either way, I hope it isn't real, mostly because I'd rather they move away from the art style >_>

http://www.deusex.com/humandefiance

My current theory is that if at all the game exists, it's some kind of an amusing 2D parody (Eidos did after all go out of their way to trademark it); while Deus Ex: The Fall is the real title of the next game, likely revealed at the Xbox event or E3.

The squares in particular make me think it's going to be pixel art. If it's a 2D indie pixel art game, then it may actually have Adam Jensen, be a game and be based on a "new engine".

You talked to someone on the inside, didn't you.

:p

[edit]

I remember having this picture of what appears to be a pixelated Human Revolution game on my computer for quite a while. Reverse image searching it leads to this blog post by what I assume is Jonathan Jacques-Belletete, art director of Human Revolution, and one of the guys in the Defiance video. Note the posting date. This may not be a joke after all - this fan art could have been the source of the inspiration shown in the video.

Can't see it being Wii U related simply because there's next to 0 Wii U stuff going on anywhere.

On a different note: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-20-deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut-for-wii-u-confirmed-and-yes-theyve-fixed-the-boss-battles

Man, I was so wrong about that, didn't expect ANYTHING Deus Ex to come to Wii U, but look.. a director's cut versionof Human Revolution where they fix a whole bunch of stuff in the game.

On a different note: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-20-deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut-for-wii-u-confirmed-and-yes-theyve-fixed-the-boss-battles

Man, I was so wrong about that, didn't expect ANYTHING Deus Ex to come to Wii U, but look.. a director's cut versionof Human Revolution where they fix a whole bunch of stuff in the game.

WANT. (A PC version, that is.)

The GamePad features can still be implemented on other platforms with the use of a smartphone/tablet app. Make it happen, Eidos!

The porting of that feature seems unlikely, though. Nintendo could have had them sign some exclusivity deal or something, either for that feature, or maybe even the whole DC edition, to bolster diminishing Wii U sales.

WANT. (A PC version, that is.)

The GamePad features can still be implemented on other platforms with the use of a smartphone/tablet app. Make it happen, Eidos!

The porting of that feature seems unlikely, though. Nintendo could have had them sign some exclusivity deal or something, either for that feature, or maybe even the whole DC edition, to bolster diminishing Wii U sales.

Monster Hunter 3 Unlimited has already bolstered diminishing Wii U sales :p The director's cut of DXHR isn't going to come out until a lot of other prominent Wii U games will already have been released, so no, this isn't anything to do with Nintendo funding anything. I think Eidos just want to experiment with Wii U and the gamepad since a lot of the ideas and mechanics in the game seem to fit really well with how the overall game is designed.

Monster Hunter 3 Unlimited has already bolstered diminishing Wii U sales :p The director's cut of DXHR isn't going to come out until a lot of other prominent Wii U games will already have been released, so no, this isn't anything to do with Nintendo funding anything. I think Eidos just want to experiment with Wii U and the gamepad since a lot of the ideas and mechanics in the game seem to fit really well with how the overall game is designed.

I certainly hope so.

In any case, Eidos seem like a non-dickish type (apart from that horrible lie/fantastic prank), and generally have a good repoire with their fans, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a PC Director's Cut.

What gamepad features are there at all, apart from, well, being on the gamepad? IIRC there's a new augmentation that lets you see enemy details - shouldn't be too hard to port. Other than that, all I know is that the gamepad is basically a UI hub and HUD.

The improved boss fights should be patched in by plain principle. It would be dickish not to, seeing as how this is a plain admission that they were a botch job. What I'd like the most though is that 8 hours of dev commentary. As someone who followed the game's development... with... considerable attachment... I'd really like to listen to a post-mortem as the game plays.

GamePad features...

Original Game Mechanics utilizing the GamePad

• Hacking is now at its best on the GamePad. Use the speed and precision of your fingers to hack on the GamePad while the world remains visible on your primary screen.

• The “sniper scope” feature allows any weapon with a scope to use both the GamePad and primary screen for a two-step, precision sniping.

• The Toolkits (previously in-game menus) are now all easily displayed and accessible on the GamePad.

• The Radar is now featured on the touch screen and is a hybrid of the original radar and the 2D Map. Opening the 2D Map Toolkit allows players to draw hints, paths, and notes that will remain on the radar.

• The Quick Inventory is now displayed on the GamePad touch screen, leaving the primary screen clear.

• Looting shows detailed descriptions about the items and doesn’t require players to access extra menus to see the content.

New Features

• Grenade Throw-Back: Grenades near Jensen appear on the GamePad; the player can then swipe the grenade icon to throw the grenade back.

• New Augmentation – “Tactical Pattern-Recognition System”: Display Jensen’s view through the GamePad touch screen. Moving the GamePad around will move Jensen’s view (the camera) in the same way, using the gyroscope. The NPC closest to Jensen’s center point of view (reticle) will have an extra information panel appearing over his head, giving precious information like the items carried, total health, armor type, and state (unconscious, dead, normal). Jensen can still move and shoot while the T.P-R.S is active.

• Infologs: Information packages that can contain detailed screenshots, voice recordings, drawing, and typed notes all together. Infologs can be toggled as a physical beacon in-game to be played automatically when standing on it. Infologs can be shared through the Miiverse to your friends, which let them view your content in-game, without breaking the immersion.

• GamePad Mode: Ability to play on the GamePad (No TV needed).

It's easy to write off if you haven't used the gamepad, but using it in these kinds of ways in a game adds to the overall experience. I love using it in ZombiU as my survival kit and how it forces me to switch attention from two different points and I love how LEGO City uses it as a communications device as it streams audio and video of an incoming caller to my gamepad while I'm still able to play the game and not be stuck in some paused state.

GamePad does so much for these kinds of games, it's awesome.

Nothing I want really badly, but those are actually very nifty additions. I'm impressed with Infologs and the map toolkit. I'd be really hyped for those if this wasn't something I've already beaten twice >_<.

That said, hopefully someone compiles a YouTube of the developer commentary, that's mostly what I'm interested in.

Archived